• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery

The Tokico Illuminas were a really good all around strut/shock. A single adjustable design, you could dial them in soft for the street or twist them up stiff for performance driving. And while they were a darn good item, they were not priced so high that they made your eyes water when you got to the check out counter.

I say "were" (as in the past tense) because they just are not available brand new any more. Tokico stopped making them about 2 or 3 years ago.

If you want any sort of "performance" strut/shock for our old cars you need to lay out a lot of money for a set of Teins or hope to get lucky to find a used set of Illuminas for sale. A used set of Konis might be floating around, but be prepared to refinance your house to rebuild them.

If only we could get Tokico to start up production again on the Illuminas. I wonder if there is enough demand amongst the 1st/3rd and Integra communities to get Tokico to go back into production of Illuminas?

If they were available again, would you buy them?

Scott 

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

CSPCRX

I have used them for years. I would not buy them over Teins that are now available. They are to long for lowered cars and the design makes it easy to damage them internally. Good street shock, yes. Good race shock, not up front! I would rather see koni bring their shocks back.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
I love my pieced together used set. Id buy another set if I could find them new in the original price range. Group buy maybe?
grimms mom

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT

I love my pieced together used set. Id buy another set if I could find them new in the original price range. Group buy maybe?

What was the original retail price?
Posted Image

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I think at about the time they stopped making them they were around 120 per corner. I just looked at Andy's and the other models for newer cars are up to 147 so that's probably more realistic. The bu2741 for the rears are around still new in box, the fronts are impossible to find new.
grimms mom

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I would buy some.

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I have rears for sale with Ground control sleeves

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

I would buy some as well, beings this will probably take awhile and I have other stuff on my list to get first.

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT

I think at about the time they stopped making them they were around 120 per corner. I just looked at Andy's and the other models for newer cars are up to 147 so that's probably more realistic. The bu2741 for the rears are around still new in box, the fronts are impossible to find new.

Thanks icebox - I was thinking that $600 was reasonable.  I was lucky to source a complete NIB backup set a couple of years ago at a good price.

Scott - Illumina's have spring limitations so they aren't the best option for racing applications - J-Man blew one of his rears autoxing.  No idea of the mileage on them when it blew but I'm pretty sure his 450# springs were close to the shocks limitations.  

I ended up piecing together a mixed set for the car - Yellows for the front and some lightly used revalved reds for the rear which were a match for our spring rates.  It  took me about a year to source the complete set and the sale of the front Illumina's helped defray the overall outlay.

Elliot

Posted Image

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
If I had yellows I would probably run something custom like afco in the rear. The front end seems to be the area no one wants to touch. Im guessing it's a liability issue because we have no upper control arms.
grimms mom

CSPCRX

The front is critical on these cars as well as many other FWDs.  The rear just follows around.  If you have enough rear shocks that can control the springs, are proper length so your actually using the shock and single adjustability your golden.  There is so much demand I just do not know why Koni will not make them again.  They are the unicorn of shocks for our cars, from a performance standpoint.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Last run of them that was done by KONI (to my recollection) was that I worked with Lee Grimes and KONI, organized a Group Buy, put money down for the run and had them built and then sold them back to the folks that wanted in on the Group Buy....has anyone tried to organize a build like this to make it worth their while?

I have a full set of BNIB KONI Reds (front and rear) that I would prefer to be shortened re-valved KONI Yellows...

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude

Do you have any more of those shortened Koni reds? I'd be interested.  Hit me with a PM.

To stay on topic, where can I buy the little red knobs for the top of the front Illuminas?  Mine popped off.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

CSPCRX

I do not recall who i spoke to at koni but i could not even geta one off set of custom struts made. I told them i didnt care what the price was, and they said no. Bilstien was willing and they were going to be $1500. I then found a pair of double adjustable shortened yellows. Paid a pretty penny but it was worth it for, what to me is the best struts for these cars ever made.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I do not recall who i spoke to at koni but i could not even geta one off set of custom struts made. I told them i didnt care what the price was, and they said no. Bilstien was willing and they were going to be $1500. I then found a pair of double adjustable shortened yellows. Paid a pretty penny but it was worth it for, what to me is the best struts for these cars ever made.

What a coincidence. I was also interested in asking bilstein if they would do a group buy about a month ago but lost hope.

Also if bilstein ever decided to make some performance adjustable shocks for our cars I believe it would be better than the teins and even the konis especially because they would probably make monotube shocks! :)

Edited by Sinub, 14 November 2014 - 07:22 PM.