Difference Between Carb'd And Fuel Injected Rear Mount?

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

I just dropped my D15A3 into the DX and the three bolt holes that go into the transmission on the rear mount don't line up.  I've jacked the motor up and lowered it down and at best I can maybe get two of the three bolts lined up.  Really only got one in, but if I really tried to force it, the second bolt could go in.  

I'm trying to use the stock mount from the DX with the Si transmission.  Never would have thought they were different, but that's all I can assume.  The middle of the three bolt holes is miles off.  I can snap pictures tomorrow if need be, but thought it was easy enough to picture.  

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx

I think what I did once was put the upper snail mount in back asswards, and this screwed up my rear mount, making it impossible to install, perhaps you are using my technique, Dave

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Quite possibly!  I wouldn't put it past myself and will check it out tomorrow.  Not 100% sure what you mean by snail mount, but will double check how the mount is attached to the crossmember.  

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

the mount on the drivers side up high near the front, make sure it's in right, Dave

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery

It has to be something like that because I've never found a difference in ANY gearbox to rear transmission mount.

Also, don't completely tighten any of the other engine mounts until you get the trans mount bolts in, it helps.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude

There should be no difference between Carb and FI engine mounts.  I put an Si motor and transaxle in a carb car using the stock mounts and had no issues.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

According to P/N search carb and Fi rear mount and rear mount bracket are the same for all 84-87 MT (sedan, wagon, hatch and CRX).

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Yep, I can confirm that they're the same.  I'm not sure why it was being so stubborn, but it took four tries at probably 15 minutes each to finally get it in.  The last and final try was a fluke, as I got frustrated, hit the jack helping support the engine with my elbow and caused it to readjust which moved the motor ever so slightly; tried threading the bolts and they went in like butter. 

CRX'Y

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Crx SI

Probably late to the party but I had a similar problem tried to teach my lady how to drive stick on my 87 si. Destroyed my transmission. bought an 85 carb'd crx and tried to just take the tranny out of it thinking it would fit. But the bolt holes just don't line up and there is no way around it. Don't know why Honda used two different trannys but it sucked. wasted the cash. 

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Hey man, my DX and Si transmission ended up being the same, it was just the angle the engine/transmission was at didn't allow the bolt holes to line up.  If they were the same, I'm sure the HF transmission will line up too, you just have to fiddle with the angle of the engine until they all align.