Brake Issues

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

I've been hearing a weird noise coming from my rear drums since I bought the car.  Almost like a woven material being rubbed over a cheese grater, that become more audible as the car slows down.  I've replaced the front calipers, and master cylinder but still need to do the brake booster.  It feels like my rear brakes are working too hard. 

Edited by niccer, 25 February 2014 - 12:56 PM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery

I think you need to stop guessing and start looking. Crack open those drums and see what's going on. My guess is that a spring has broken and is gouging a trench into one of your shoes. It happened to me.

I know many people on this forum and other car forums are apoplectic over the thought of doing ANYTHING with drum brakes. Get over it people, they are not that hard to deal with. You do not even need any special tools (although an inexpensive brake tool does help, about $5 from your local parts store).

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Sound travels in a funny way in cars. Open up the other drum.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Zacsrex

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx si
Mine was doing the same thing. It turned out to be the e brake was froze on one side. Don't know if this helps but I would check the cable.

Zacsrex

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 86 crx si
Mine made the noise all the time and the e brake worked OK not the best.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Well, they look OK to me. Everything seems to be in place. Do the drums turn freely?

Are you sure is it the brakes? Are the bearings OK? Are the backing plated rubbing on anything? Are the tires rubbing on the fender?

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Woven materiel inside the drums is a foreign object and probably the cause of your rubbing sound. Clean them out, put everything back together and the sound should go away.

Rear disk brakes? OK, but know what you are getting into:

Rear disk brakes weigh more than iron drum and a lot more than aluminum drums. Your will need to change the portioning valve for rear disks and the E brake cables as well. Your rear track will be wider and you may have issues with tire clearance.

Aluminum drums from the HF model are a lot lighter and only require a change of the backing plate. Use the backing plate from any Civic/CRX model from 1988 and up for the aluminum drums. Raybestos still sells aluminum drums.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Try new shoes and turn the drums.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
You sure its the rears? Does it make the sound if you slowly pull the e-brake while driving?

It should if its a rear brake issue.

Let us know we'll go from there.

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
It sounds mechanical.....the reason I asked if you were sure is that some cross drilled rotors sound like that what you're hearing if you have those up front.

I can't see brake lines being the issue, nor the booster causing that noise. Not to say the booster isn't a separate problem, but I don't think its the cause of this issue.

Are the rear shoes adjusted enough? Too much clearance could cause a vibration that can manifest itself as a noise. How many clicks does your handbrake come up when parking normally?

Keep us posted

Rob

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Looking at your pics the rear shoes look ok in terms of friction material thickness. And you've got them assembled properly from what I can tell.

The woven pattern.......well I've never seen that so maybe it is your issue. In the years I ran drums I ran 2 types of shoes, the cheaper type the material looked almost like cardboard or mdf where the better ones looked like the same material as the front pads....

This is a tough one to diagnose through the wonder of the internet.

Rob

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Are you editing out your questions and deleting your post? Just wondering cause I can't see your response. You should leave your questions and solutions up, it helps people when they are doing a search (came up on a brake search for me).

Joseph

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Are you editing out your questions and deleting your post? Just wondering cause I can't see your response. You should leave your questions and solutions up, it helps people when they are doing a search (came up on a brake search for me).

Joseph

What sort of issues are you having?  I won't know what the solution to my problems until I get the car back running and will be sure to update the thread then. 

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Got mine figured out after rebuilding the rear drums.

Just saying it makes it difficult when the original question and symptoms are edited out.

The only thing I can see is "..." in the opening thread topic after Brake Issues. Is this just me?

Thanks,

Joseph

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Got mine figured out after rebuilding the rear drums.

Just saying it makes it difficult when the original question and symptoms are edited out.

The only thing I can see is "..." in the opening thread topic after Brake Issues. Is this just me?

Thanks,

Joseph

That'll be my my next step if the problem persists after changing the brake booster.  The drums look to be okay, but I've never worked on any before.  All I can see is that all of the springs are hooked up and there is shoe life left.