K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
384 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Been a while since there has been an update.  We worked on the mounts some more tonight.  Brian is working on them some more tomorrow to fine tune final position and ensuring consistent installation.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Update on the HASport Kswap mounts.

Brian is making tweaks to the rear mount to fine tune that a bit more.  We did test fit a couple of headers with the K20a and we’re amazed by the room we had.

Next steps is we are going to put a K24a in and check the fit there as well.  We are hoping there will be three options for mounting motors.

1) K20 height, the clearance appears to be better than it is with a B series in the car.

2) K24 height, will be 3/4 in lower than K20.  This is how the dual height HASport mount kits work.

3) this still has to be tested. K24 at K20 height this would require the hood supports to be removed.  My hood is like this already and we are going to test it.  The tallest supports are an inch high so we think this will work.  This is the option I am hoping for since I will be running a K24, already have my hood skinned and would like to keep the ground clearance.

after this we are going to try the swap in a civic hatchback to ensure everything is good in that car as well.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Making more progress on the mounts.  Left and right are pretty much done and a new version of the rear was used last night.  Smaller and allowed plenty of header clearance.  Also Brian stated there would be a discount for RPR members.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic si. 01 Integra Type R

Thank you for your updates!

CSPCRX

Happy to, my Ktuned header should be here Thursday.  Really want mine down before racing starts back up here.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Have you heard any updates on production? Pretty sure I'm buying my k24 tomorrow.. Please share pics on that header also, would like to see fitment and height from ground. 

Edited by na-spirit, 20 September 2021 - 11:32 PM.

CSPCRX

I just reached out to Brian to see if we would be working on it some more on tonight’s show.  I have not heard back from him.

Left and right mounts are basically done.  Some small finish work was needed on the drivers side mount to ensure no frame rail contact.

Block adapter, on left side of motor for connecting to passenger side mount is designed.  I am not sure if they have been cut yet.  These are machined aluminum parts like the primary mounts are.

Rear mount is we’re we left off.  Completely redesigned it to a smaller form factor that allows for more header options.  You could use a K-tuned 4-2-1 or the Skunk which has the runners side by side.  When I spoke to Brian last he had the design drawn and just needed to cut the parts and weld them up.  They have had several laser issues over the last few weeks which then backs up production parts.

As for the header check out the video on Vtec Academy Live where we mounted them up.  You will see the oil pan will hit long before the header.  The K Series is so different in this way compared to the B series or even stock EW1 or EW3.  In fact the K24 will pull the header up more than a K20.  I would get the K-tuned swap header, it will fit great and performance is very good also.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thanks so much for your update and info!  I ended up passing on the k24 locally, I guess.. 1300 seemed a bit much for a rebuilt one? I was thinking I'll just have hmo ship me one with low miles instead. 

CSPCRX

HMO is great.  I have purchased a couple of B16a motors from them in the past.  I also got my RSX 5speed that I am using for my swap from them.

I just got a photo from Brian showing the 3D printed block adapter.  This is one of the last parts that was needed.  It is machined from aluminum so more involved than the parts we have been working on.  Brian said once these are cut and we do one last test fit of the K20 and K24 the kit will be ready for sale.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Went to HASport today and met with Brian.  He said we are very,  very close on the last part of the kit the block adapter.  He said once cut he is going to do a final install to ensure there are no issues.  Then they go up for sale. 

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

It’s been a while but the there is good news.  Brian announced that the block brackets are being cut right now.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Awesome Thanks for your updates!

CSPCRX

Did a test fit today of the hybrid racing Kswap radiator for the integra.  I was hopeful that it would fit since the core is the same size but it turns out it’s about 1/2 too wide.  Could have it modified but the VW Scirocco is probably going to be the better option.  Just a small update.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thank you.. What year Scirocco?  I will be ordering my jdm k24a fairly soon. Just to calrify, This is the same as the tsx k24a2? just not the "good" version.  Also any word on axle options when using stock 3rd gen civic hubs? Or should I just mod some crx hubs like mentioned here. 1st gen integra knuckles hard to find..

Edited by na-spirit, 23 December 2021 - 06:10 PM.

CSPCRX

JDM K24a is the same as the US version of the K24A2 found in the 04-05 TSX.  So it does not have the slightly larger valves.  When tuned it really doesn’t make that much of.a power difference.  I do not know the year for the radiator,  Brian said it’s what they use in the 2nd gen and some other swaps.  I can find that out.

not certain on axles either.  I know Brian said if a stock one did fit he would make them.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily