Exhaust Size

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

zAd -

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Integra, CR-X
backpressure lol i guess people still wont get it but its all good. why do the drag racer run open header what their reason wont they lose power from backpressure the deal is not to have backpressure. no one wants reversion that loses power they make header so that the piping diamater increases and making anti-reversion chamber so that the exhaust gases dont go back up in the motor. its all about velocity and with a 4" exhaust your velocity would be killed on such a small motor.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding of the word 'exhaust' here. The exhaust system consists of the exhaust manifold (or header), a collector, downpipe, catalytic convertor, perhaps a resonator, and a muffler (and maybe a tip on the end). The diameter is the ID of the tubing on all of these items. You could have a 1" exhaust system with a 4" tip, to say that is a 4" exhaust is plain wrong. Likewise you could have a 1" exhaust system with a 4" diameter muffler. Again, not a 4" exhaust system. I think tyrone means he has a 4" diameter muffler, which has very little bearing on the performance of the system, as a whole.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

tyrone

thanks that is what i meant i have a 5inch muffler i think the system is 2.5".

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
that being the case and your hissing problem... chesk for leaks cracks and broken welds happens to even quality exhuast systems

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (tyrone @ Aug 26 2004, 12:31 PM)
thanks that is what i meant i have a 5inch muffler i think the system is 2.5".

If that's the case, you shouldn't be losing power around 3000 rpm; rather, you should be gaining power about then. I had a 2.5" exhaust on my CRX Si for about a year and felt like I wasn't getting the low-end torque out of turns that I should. About 2 months ago I changed to a 2" system, and the low-end came back.

Just to add on to the "velocity vs. backpressure" debate here . . . In an exhaust system, you want ZERO backpressure. None. Zilch. What you want is to keep the diameter of the tubing the correct size to accelerate the gases out of the system. The airflow capabilities of our engines are such that the tubing needs to be relatively small. Once you have increased the engine's breathing abilities, a larger exhaust pipe is a good investment, since the engine can push out more exhaust. My race car, for example, uses a stock EW4 block but has massive headwork, intake upgrades, and internals. It uses a 2.5" straight pipe that dumps before the rear axle. When we first built the car, we used the only exhaust we had lying around, which was a 1.75" system from another Civic. On the dyno, we lost huge power and torque with the first system. We knew we would, but we were fabricating the permanent exhaust system at the same location, so we ran it just for grins.

Since someone will no doubt ask, the car lost 11 horsepower and 9 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. Remember this is a full race engine, so don't go thinking you can see the same gains on a street car. The torque increase was over the whole rpm range, but the horsepower increase came mostly above 4000 rpm.

Mike
No power . . . no weight

tyrone

it starts hissing round about 2500 then stops when you get to 3000 rpm. i mite just change the complete system (header, muffler and exhaust piping) hopefully this will solve the problem, its really starting to sound gay and it seems to do it more when the whether is hot rather than when its cold

Ruevil

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic CRX (in the works), 1986 Chevy work Van (Big Ugly)
Hey what do you guys think of ANSA racing mufflers? I came across one that is a 2" inlet and would fit under the car.

The§ilent|3lade
"Veni, Vidi, Vici."

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
http://members.cox.net/rexkrazy

yes, i put this link in every muffler related topic.

sounds like stock, flows like a straight pipe.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

84crx06

• 85crx06
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx
QUOTE (orangecrx @ Aug 25 2004, 04:34 PM)
dont think that is true. i went from 1 inch piping to 2.25 piping and my car is alot faster now. where did you hear that?

one of the guys in my college has a 86-87 Si crx and he said cuz I have the D15A2 that the stock pipe size is like 1 1/4 and a good upgrade would be btween 1 1/2 and 1 3/4. he also said if I went any bigger like a 2 inch piping, I would most likely fuck up a valve or two. 1 1/2 piping sounds really small, but his car is hooked up and 1 1/2 piping is a good balance point. Is this true? whats a good piping size? I have a custom intake setup and I just want some more power without screwing with the back pressure and all that good stuff. make sense??
please help.
thanx

stevo911_

• I'm Canadian, Eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2000 Civc Ltd Edition w B16a swap
you dont want to screw up the velocity, not the backpressure. I'd got a bit bigger personally ~2 inchish. I've got 2 1/4 on mine, mostly because i got the whole system for 80 bucks, no complaints here

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
plz get rid of the fart can
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The Ferrari Enzo has small vanes on the exhaust tips that close down at low rpms and open up at high rpms.

As many people have pointed out, the entire exhasut sytem can be tuned like a violin. Racers have it easy, their engines are tuned for a relatively narrow band of power at higher rpms an dso they can tune their exhaust to maximize high rpm flow. A street engine has to provide low end grunt as well as high rpm power.

Something to consider that gets forgotten is the WEIGHT of your exhasut system. While big shiny tips/mufflers look cool, you pay a penalty in dragging that stuff around. I have found that a glasspack mounted right behind the catalytic converter and a simple side exhaust is light and effecient.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Oct 21 2006, 07:21 AM)
The Ferrari Enzo has small vanes on the exhaust tips that close down at low rpms and open up at high rpms.

As many people have pointed out, the entire exhasut sytem can be tuned like a violin. Racers have it easy, their engines are tuned for a relatively narrow band of power at higher rpms an dso they can tune their exhaust to maximize high rpm flow. A street engine has to provide low end grunt as well as high rpm power.

Something to consider that gets forgotten is the WEIGHT of your exhasut system. While big shiny tips/mufflers look cool, you pay a penalty in dragging that stuff around. I have found that a glasspack mounted right behind the catalytic converter and a simple side exhaust is light and effecient.

Scott

Scott is a wise old man...and i have taken his advise on the exhaust he speaks of...so far, Im really happy with it!
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Oct 21 2006, 01:49 PM)
Scott is a wise old man...and i have taken his advise on the exhaust he speaks of...so far, Im really happy with it!

how loud are the packs??? does it sound almost like there is no muffler there?

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (ibcnya @ Oct 21 2006, 12:29 PM)
how loud are the packs??? does it sound almost like there is no muffler there?

i had a fart cannon with 2.25" from the cat back, and this (the glasspack) sounds better...a little quieter and less annoying at HWY speeds...

I should also tell you that i have a DX, so my opinions are based solely on that fact
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation