Concours Restoration: 1987 Crx 1st Gen 25,662 Miles

• You cannot reply to this topic
193 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Works been kicking my butttt. Here are some recent additions for the car. Seems like all the parts are no longer available through the normal channels. Happy to get them before they went to the dumpsters.

Cable and wiper motor

lights
Keepin' it OEM

Vicious

did you already have the foglight kit or did you recently get it?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

86hamstersi

• Get a job loser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1980 yamaha qt50, 2007 civic si sedan(wife's)
    Garage View Garage
Those fog lights are gonna look awesome on a fully restored crx just like they looked on lil buddy's 3g.
A grown up living with their parents is a loser.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Vicsious, It was a lucky deal on an accessory. A good friend told me about the lights before they disappeared. Got them recently.

Most of this stuff seems to be heading for the dumpsters now-a-days. So it either ends up on ebay or the trash somehow.

Hamster, I'll have to look for Littlebuddies build thread and check out how it looks on his car. I"ve heard a lot about it from several members. Firstgencrx has a set on his front end that looks pretty good as well. (Or maybe it was SeekerONe's car?)

I'm not 100% sure if I'll put them on the car. BUt If I can trade for an NOS body part (header panel in the box possibly), then I'd consider. I know those covers are a desired item in that box. I was amazed at how flimbsy they are. Just "pop" on like a
Keepin' it OEM

Vicious

that's SEEKERone's beautiful car you. gives you an idea of what they'd look like.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Thnx! Now I know why I was confused. 1gencrx and SEEKERone have both of their cars in one shot. They both have them. Sorry 1gencrx, I mistaken for firstgencrx. Great front shot of SEEKER's car. Great article he has as well on his car!

1gencrx, why did you take the silkscreened Honda "H" off yours?
Keepin' it OEM

Vicious

oh you mean this shot i took of them.

this picture is from 08 and if i remember correctly Bobby said he got them without the "H" and was planning on making vinyl ones but two years later and i guess he never got around to it. Either way you can't have to many pics of steve's and bobby's cars laugh.gif

hope these pics help you decide to keep the fog and use them. i think they'd add a bit extra to your restore.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Bingo!! Great shooting

I figured all you guys had gotten together out there before he moved to OK. When I first got in touch w/ Bobby, I thought how crazy to drive either of those beautiful cars between OK and FL for the shot. And get highway stone chips on those babies.

1gencrx hopefully will make the TX meet this summer. Looking forward to seeing his car first hand.

I still need to get the mounting kit if I want to put the lights onthe car. I don't know the difficulty in getting a good, clean kit. I've just never followed the accessory component to understand the market.

I'm thinking the look is growing on me. I just fell in love w/ the car the way it was and I always had it in my mind to restore to stock. BUt we'll see. It would open an whole new level of investment I'm not sure I'm willing to make. I'd like to do the straman, possibly a B16, then redo my beater

But thanks for the shots. I knew I saw it somewhere.

d
Keepin' it OEM

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si B17 2006 Saab 9-2X Aero #30/338
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Feb 21 2010, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1gencrx, why did you take the silkscreened Honda "H" off yours?

My covers were really faded when I got them, I restored them back to black, but never got around to recreating the "H". I think I like them better this way so it hasn't been a priority.

sig1.jpg

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I was disappointed when I pulled the covers out of the box. The paint was pretty thin and appears a little transparent in some areas. Honda just used a stencile and sprayed it. So seems like a very easy thing to restore w/ the appearance of OEM. You can see the overspray on the edges of the while paint lines. So no special tooling was used that can't be redone in the garage.

Thnx for your input 1gencrx.
Keepin' it OEM

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That straman is gorgeous.

I want. wub.gif

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
GREAT grab on the NOS fog kit! Watch out for cold whether though. Both of my fresh NOS units got hairline cracks in the lens in the cold NC January temps sad.gif

Pictured below is my 1GenCRX-copy-cat-project...I mean CRX. tongue.gif

My "H" covers stay inside in my secret hide-a-way-from-the-two-year-old drawer.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
OG, Peace on the 2yr old. My 4yr boy helps me open the boxes when I get shipments of parts, then they go up in the storage room. I'd hate to think about what would happen to them if/when he gets a hold of them.

Cracking lenses?? very interesting. No stones, just the cold?

My car had the sunroof visor when I first got it. I always liked the look. I think mine was OEM and I pitched it back in 96. Oh well....
Keepin' it OEM

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Feb 22 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OG, Peace on the 2yr old. My 4yr boy helps me open the boxes when I get shipments of parts, then they go up in the storage room. I'd hate to think about what would happen to them if/when he gets a hold of them.

Cracking lenses?? very interesting. No stones, just the cold?

My car had the sunroof visor when I first got it. I always liked the look. I think mine was OEM and I pitched it back in 96. Oh well....

Yep, just the cold. Isn't that a bummer! Oh well, I haven't lost sleep or anything tongue.gif

The sunroof visor is actually off of the same 94-97 Accord that I grabbed the side-skirts off of. It fits nearly perfectly. At this moment, I see no need to to scavenging for the OEM 1G visor. So, if anyone wants an easy-to-source alternative, just grab the Accord visor.

You should see the top wooden slat of Ellie's crib. You'd think a veloci-raptor sleeps in that crib! Bite makrs EVERYWHERE. Bite marks on my fog covers=no thank you!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Did some wrenching!!!

(thnx for the inputs OG!!)

Well, not on #2, but on #7. I completed the gutting of the interrior and all exterrior panels/bumpers. So the car can drive around the farm and I can close it up to keep the rats out.

I was shocked at how good this body is. From the sunroof, I thought the interrior was going to be shot from the rain. But its awesome. So plan for this car is to transfer the engine and mechanicals to the straman to convert it to fuel injection. I'll use the misc bolts and hardware as back ups for the concours. And keep this body for a future B16 conversion or just a spare body. No accident. bumpers and bumper frames were perfect. But all the exterrior plastic is sun shot. Shatters.

So I'll move any future work on #7 and open a "straman fuel injection conversion" project thread. That's about all I can use #7 as worthy input for this concours thread.

From the roof and rust, I thought under the carpet would be tost.

Drivers rear weel = perfect

passengers rear well = 2 spots of rust after removing OEM well trim (root cause of rust)

Passenger torsion bar

Driver's torsion bar

passenger pan

passenger back seat

Driver's back seat

Driver's pan

rear interrior

The underside is perfect. I wish I had this body on the concours. Make life a lot easier. BUt I'll stowe this unibody on a rack for later. Will closely photograph the underside for chip and undercoating so I can duplucate on concours later.

Rocker panels are perfect as well.

Off to complete #3 this weekend.

Keepin' it OEM