Throttle Position Sensor Solution For 85-87 Crx Or Civic Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
53 replies to this topic

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Maybe some of you already know this, don't know, just know I never found this info in previous searches in the past and anytime I mentioned that that the only way to get another tps was from another SI it was never refuted...........anyway I was noticing tonite that the TPS on the browntop was exactly the same by all appearances, with the exception of the plug, as the 85-87 CRX SI TPS and the 86-87 Civic SI TPS. I was also looking at Majestic Honda and it also appears that the 86-87 Accord and Prelude have the same TPS as well. I have yet to physically remove the browntop TPS and put it on the CRX/Civic SI throttle body, but see no reason why it would not work. The only difference is the plugs and color for color they are the same. You will either have to cut the plug off the CRX/Civic SI TPS and solder it to the "new" Accord/Integra/Prelude or cut the plug off the CRX/Civic tps and solder it to a female end off the Accord/Integra/Prelude engine wire harness for a short little adapter so that you can just plug in the new tps to the adapter and you don't have to cut into your wire harness. The CRX/Civic SI TPS plug has spades in it while the Accord/Integra/Prelude plug has pins in it. Unfortunately they don't make new versions of the other TPS, but at least there are alot more of those cars out there than the CRX/Civic SI's. Might post pics later if I get around to it.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Great info, thanks!!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Just confirmed this, it is the exact same TPS, clocked the same, just has a different plug on it. Couldn't find my EW4 TB so I just saw whether or not my EW4 TPS fit into the 86-87 integra TB and if fit the same. When I go to the junkyard next and get a plug off an accord I'll do a little write up.

Okay here it goes:

I found out that some of the CRX\Civic SI cars had the rectangularish plug that the 86-87 accords, integras, and preludes had. Turned out I had one but I sold it, still had the picture for reference though. So the CRX\Civic SI TPS had either a round plug on it, or the rectangularish plug like the other cars did which I'll get into at the end. Lots of you may already know this stuff, this is just for the random person passing through that is having issues with their car and may not be super familiar with our cars.

So you need a flat head screwdriver and a dremel with a cut off wheel. I bought this battery operated one specifically so I could use it at the junkyard, it had very low power and takes awhile but it does work on a full charge.

DSC03497_zps7d1deaae.jpg

Notch these, there are two, I've hear heard them described as rivets, however, it is actually a bolt that has a head that snaps off.

DSC03493_zps12c84b9a.jpg

Once it's done it should look like this, then you'll be able to remove it with the flathead screwdriver.

DSC03496_zps9bcf0003.jpg

You'll end up with this, this is your throttle position sensor.

DSC03500_zps1bdf3af9.jpg

Heres the rectangularish plug TPS (throttle position sensor) vs the round one. Notice they have different pins in the ends.

DSC03509_zps6bcd5fb1.jpg

They are clocked the same

DSC03502_zps16edc9fa.jpg

So now if you already had the rectangularish plug you can go buy some screws at your hardware store. I always go to Lowes, I've been to Home Depot waaaayyyy too many times where they carried something like 7/16" ready rod but didn't carry the nuts to go on it, and several other examples. Anyway, screw it on and your good to go!

DSC03499_zps09dab677.jpg

It looks like there is some adjustability, not sure if that was intended? 

DSC03510_zpsb4ce2114.jpg

If you originally had the round connector you'll have to make an adapter to plug into the round plug on your engine harness. I guess you could hack off the plug on the harness instead and put a rectangularish one on. However, if you just make an adapter you can use both styles of TPS plugs later on. You'll have to cut the rectagularish female connector off the engine wire harness of an accord, prelude, or integra and use the male plug off you old TPS.

DSC03526_zpsc691d965.jpg

Solder, heat shrink, and your done! I found it easier to remove the pins from the rectagular end and bundle everything with a bigger piece of heat shrink. Then just replace the pins in the right spot on the plug you removed them from. Good luck! Note: I soldered the rectangular plug back to my Civic SI TPS for demonstrative purposes.

DSC03527_zpsb7564995.jpg

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Bump for write up complete.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Yep, small adapter jumper harnesses are the way to go IMHO. This is what I did with the Civic for some of the CR-V to Civic control interfaces, main one I remember is the ignition switch.

Good info.Just a question, all of the TSP you found to be a match (minus the plug) are from Fi vacuum advance Honda/Acuras, correct?

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Good info.Just a question, all of the TSP you found to be a match (minus the plug) are from Fi vacuum advance Honda/Acuras, correct?

Yes, which was only from 86-87 from what I've found, so another model that meets that criteria may work even though I didn't list it. In 88 they changed the TPS style and they are pretty much the same till 00-01, at least for the D series which is what I work on most that holds true.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
great information! I haven't searched for this parts in a while, but I thought it's been out of honda inventory???

so knowing how to scavenge is a great thing. good pix as well

appreciate your time and details. never thought about the dremel thing. could have used thar on my steering column
Keepin' it OEM

xGods Might

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CR-X SI
Anyone still around on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit

I have 4-5 Si throttle bodies on my shelf with TPSs. $15 each, plus shipping from 23437. I could dremel the screw head slots and remove them, if needed. I also have a similar number of idle control valve units.

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Good write up, and I remember doing this a few years ago.  The adjustment is, if I remember correctly,  to allow you to get the correct voltages to the ecu. Something like 0.5 volts closed and 5 volts at wot, but look up your ecu data for what its expecting to see. Wouldn't want the wrong reading and upset the running.  On that note, the tps on my B18c was faulty with the voltage varying with  steady state throttle position, and my air fuel ratios were crazy wrong - 8 and 9 out to 20.  Tuner discovered it, and decided to simply disconnect it as the ecu was a power FC.  Only effect is I now have a lopey idle.  Car ecu electronics can be difficult to understand at times.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Ocabrera1966

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
    Garage View Garage

I'm close to finishing up my 1987 CRX Si project. At this point, it has one drivability problem - bogs down at about 3k RPM / part throttle application that may be a TPS issue. I can't find the Accord/Integra/Prelude compatible TPS anywhere. Would appreciate any suggestions you guys may have. 

Ocabrera1966

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

I checked the resistance on the TPS per the service manual and got 5.7 ohms - right in the middle of the acceptable range of 3.2 to 7.2 ohms. On a hunch, I'm going to try replacing the fuel filter. After that, I'm at a loss. Coil? Fuel pump?

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I checked the resistance on the TPS per the service manual and got 5.7 ohms - right in the middle of the acceptable range of 3.2 to 7.2 ohms. On a hunch, I'm going to try replacing the fuel filter. After that, I'm at a loss. Coil? Fuel pump?

Is resistance smooth throughout without any dead spots? 

I would also check your voltage reading on the TPMS.

Ocabrera1966

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Now that I didn't do. I'll check both of those when I get home tonight.

Ocabrera1966

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Voltage is .527 closed and 4.289 at WOT. Numbers change nice and smooth along with throttle operation. Impedance seems good. Voltage seems good. Puzzling. Now I'm really confused as to what is causing the bog and hesitation.

Edited by Ocabrera1966, 13 September 2018 - 05:47 PM.