Now We Have Two

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Thanks, paint shows it’s scars but it did come back to life nicely.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Today the Mrs and I did some fluid flushes.

1st up was the brake fluid which didn’t look all that bad at the master but man it was nasty at the calipers and drums.  Flushed until we got clean fluid at each wheel position.

Next was the transmission and it was very dark as well.  When you consider the new Honda MTL was clear with a hint of pink and what came out looked like used motor oil.

still trying to find the bracket for the drivers side that is bent.  Junk yards are not the best to work with when you have to do it by phone.  Posted in the WTB section hoping a member may have one.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Another update, big parts find.

51649301715_7d60f070aa_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

found a junk yard that had 3, yes three, aftermarket oem style bumper covers.  Could not believe it.  Two were in good shape one has some damage.  They also don’t fit as well as the oem cover.  Not sure if it was as a result of how it was stored or they have shrunk some.  Still much improved over the original cut up one that was on her.  Still May keep an eye out for an original bumper if I can find one.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Got the door checker bracket welded today.  This is the small metal tab that sticks out of the door jam.  On the drivers side it had broken free from its welds inside the body.  After doing a lot of searching it appears this is more common than I realized, especially on 88 and up cars.  This makes it tricky to repair since you can’t get to the original weld points. Also, small space to work in and if you don’t hold onto it, once you pull the pin, it will fall into the body!

Had a local guy who is a great welder rig weld the top and bottom of the tab to the game.  This proved, even for an expert, to be a bit of a challenge.  Paint, oil and laminated layers of metal in the door jam all created challenges.  In the end he was able to get clean welds with minimal paint damage and non of the plastics in the are got damaged or melted. Now I need to get some factory match spray paint and paint the welds

was worried that over time if we did not fix it the jam would get damaged.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Is your preferred tranny fluid Honda MTF?   I had mistakenly been using regular dino oil in my tranny since 1993.  I just followed the blue owners manual for the oil weight over temps I was driving.  I've switched to Honda.  Lots of opinioins here, what seems to shift best from your racing experience?

Did anyone comment on why those welds fail?  As a habit, I never swing the door wide open in fear of smashing the lower door garnish on something.  But windy days and parking down hill can get a away from you.  I haven't had that experience yet.  But will now be extra careful.   Glad you were able to get it fixed.  Tight spot indeed.

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

I’ve always been a fan of the Honda MTF in stock transmissions.  Only exception to that is if I have an aftermarket LSD in the transmission. 

No, never saw any clear explanation as to why they fail.  I would argue the drivers door on my 86 has been opened and closed thousands of times more.  Not sure what causes it.  Yes, glad I could get it fixed as well.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

It dawned on me.   Probably good idea to grease up those door checkers really good.  So they slide freely..   I haven't examined mine,  but what a pain to weld those.  Good job!

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Funny you said that because the first thing I did when I got home was lube up the 86 as well. Could not remember the last time it was done.

don’t want to have to do this repair again!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Got “Penny”,  my wife has named her, her 3rd set of tires ever.  Tires that were on the car were dated July 2007.  I have the receipt in the papers I got where they were purchased from Costco in CA.  Unfortunately Michelin is no longer offering tires in the original size so I went with some Hankook Kinergy tires in original size.

Few other small updates.  

The other week I masked everything off, that was a lot of work, and painted the repair to the door checker.  I found I had two cans of Victoria red from years ago that still worked.  Feel it turned out very well.

I also got a custom frame to go along with the new historic plate.  The name “Penny” is because my wife has said since the first time she saw my 86 that it reminded her of a Penny Racer.  Even more fitting that the plate is copper colored.

51758024271_a9499caba7_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

love it

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

No work to update on just been driving her around.  Lots of thumps up, a few more offers to buy her and lots of looks.  My wife is having a blast driving her as well.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Good for you guys!! Glad ur wife likes it. my wife hates mine = death trap. we picked up her car from a tire shop last month in mine. first time she’s been in mine in 15 years
Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

LOL,  my wife will not drive the 86.  Last time she drove it was several years ago when I tried to get her started in Solo2 racing.  She ran a couple of events and was done, she did it just to appease me I am sure.  She ridden in it in the last year but the loud race brakes turn her off along with the stiff ride.  Penny is like driving a couch compared to the 86! Haha

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Our church had our spring car show today.  We had over 200 vehicles come out.  The Mrs and I brought both of the CRXs.  Had lots of great conversations and people shared a lot of fun memories of these little cars.

51905837736_38d063c7a4_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

51904864142_3ede96f193_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

51905837711_0d23970f22_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Sounds like a great turn out. Complete w his/her cars,.... and lounge chairs...

Glad you had a great time!
Keepin' it OEM