Fuel Smell In Vehicle...where Would It Come From?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX HF
I have inspected the hard lines in the car and have not been able to find a leak (doesn't mean one isn't there...I just couldn't find one. However, I think the vapor comes from the engine compartment cause I dont' smell it unless I have the fan on and come to a stop (it still stinks up the garage bad for a while after shutting it off but no smell inside the vehicle).

Last weekend I replaced the fuel pump for $30 with a new one and the smell is still there. mad.gif

I also swapped in a one way vapor valve from my other crx...it didn't make a difference so I swapped back in the original. Both of them seem to work.

Next I think I'll try putting the screw style hose clamps on the fuel lines (stock spring ones are on there now).

If that don't work I'll test the charcoal cannister per the directions in the manual.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

PS I wish there was some sort of "sniffer" type electronic tool that could detect fuel vapor (sort of like the one the gas company uses for natural gas
l8er.

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
PUtting screw style clamps on the three fittings on the fuel pump seems to have stopped the fuel smell...for now.

I still suspect a bad check valve or charcoal cannister though...if the smell comes back I'll continue with the list I made above starting with the charcoal cannister check as described in the service manual.
l8er.

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Doh! The smell gradually came back over the last couple weeks. Guess it is on to my list. If anyone has any additional ideas it would be appreciated. Thanks.
l8er.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
i once bought a 87 camero from some kid because he couldnt get rid of the gas smell, got the car for dirt cheap. it smelled like it was going to blow up at any minute.

turns out the young kid that owned the car before him had installed his own sound system.... he had zapped a whole bunch of 6" drywall screws through the floor of the trunk/hatch to hold down all his gear. right through the tank in several places. they couldnt figure it out because it was to hard to lift the carpet/trim to check the floor.

food for thought.

Edited by JeepGirl, 02 February 2006 - 04:22 PM.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
QUOTE (JDN14 @ Oct 19 2005, 10:01 PM)
On my 85 Si the fuel line behind the Driver's side door (where it exits to meet the fuel pump) rusted out...it was quite smelly, but i had a puddle.  A small leak may give a smell and no puddle though...

same problem. cut it and clamped a hose over it. good to go.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'll try to check that this weekend. Last night I added more clamps to the fuel lines and did the entire test for the charcoal cannister that is in the manual and it checked out fine. The smell was reduced but occasionally still there on a test run to the store.

I think I'll have to rip up the carpet again to check that spot you guys are talking about. Maybe I'll add some sound proofing at the same time. Also, I'll look for holes in the floor in case someone put a screw all the way into the gas tank blink.gif .

I did a smell test on the engine compartment with my own nose and I can smell the fumes at the back drivers side of the carb. With about 50 lines back there it is impossible to tell where it is coming from exactly though sad.gif

Edited by Daveed, 04 February 2006 - 02:13 PM.