My Dish Network Experience

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

JDN14

part 1:

About a week ago i finally decided that i was tired of the crappy reception i got on my TV using rabbit ears. I also thought i could use a few more channels. I checked around and DISH satellite had the cheapest rates and had local channels to boot. I found the nearest Dish dealer and ordered the service. Right up front i was hit with an extra $5 a month because we don't have a phone line (the lady and i use cell phones). Whatever, i scheduled the installation for thursday.

part 2:

The technician comes out when he says he's going to, good stuff. After playing around for two hours, he finally gets the reception dialed in, but one of the satellite links (turns out the one that gets locals) won't come in. The rest of the channels come in fine but no locals as of yet. He tinkers a little longer and tells me my locals should pop up in about 15 minutes.

part 3:

After four hours my locals still aren't there so i call up customer service. They say they'll have someone out around 3PM. At 6PM i call them back, the guy got held up, no problem. It's the same guy from this morning, he goes back to the roof and tinkers some more. After an hour, still no locals and the satellite reception numbers are half what they were earlier. He says that he may not be able to get locals to come in but he'll be back tomorrow. I tell him someone will be here until 4:30PM so try to make it out before then.

part 4:

No sign of the guy all day. He still hasn't shown up at 4:30 when the girlfriend goes to work. I get home around 7PM and find this note in the door:

Sweet, sounds good (except for the spelling.... dry.gif ). I go inside, do just what the note says, and......nothing, no locals, and now even the other channels are gone. So i'm going to call them again tomorrow morning and go from there.

Now before someone says something about me complaining, id like to say this: Everyone ive talked to associated with dish so far has been great. The customer service people have been nice and helpful, and even the iffy technician was a great guy to deal with.

But would it be wrong at this point for me to request a new (and hopefully more skilled) technician? Has anyone else had an experience like this?

enjoy,

Jacques
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
im not to familer with DISH but i was a installer for starchoise and i know that if its a beginner tech it can be hard to find the link. star also has 2 links but one is only for commersial at that time. for its etting worse it dos sound he is new to this.
for your ability to get local it could be as simple as wrong packagedeal or it could be the area your in wont alow the dish where it is it recive the link. treee or building in the way.
installing i have had to tell coustomer no because in some areas there is that time that you CANT get a good signel or even one at all. out here our trees are huge and ocorse the house is right be side them and they wont a dish system and expect it to work though trees. or mountains at times.

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (JDN169 @ Oct 1 2005, 01:44 AM)
But would it be wrong at this point for me to request a new (and hopefully more skilled) technician?  Has anyone else had an experience like this? 

enjoy,

Jacques

ABSOLUTELY not!
In addition, I would probably request some time of freebie for your troubles (a free month of movie channels perhaps?) After all, it's not YOUR fault Sir Spelling Bee technician can't figure out the problem (it is his job, after all).
Good luck bro!

Side note: I am truly amazed at how many people can't spell for jack.

bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

nivek2002

We switch to the Network about a year ago. We love the service but like you the technicians are horrible. Our experience found us with 3 guys from Michigan that came down to Texas to install systems, I think they source the installs out to other companys since they do so many and have to be so quick. So yeah, get a new guy or ask for a local technician or something.

Kevin

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
im in canada and have bell expressvu

IT SUCKS! it took 3 days for us to get channels to work after they installed it! we complained soo much that they said we could have unlimited payperviews for a month once it was finally workling. so me takign advantage, i order about 200$ worth of payperview..

the bill comes to 200$ something dollars at the end of the month, so my dad decided to call London drugs ( the store that was selling the bellexpressvu dish kits) and they called up bell and bitched at them to get our bill payed. apperantly they claim to have told me 3 free pay perviews, but they actually told me unlimited for a month.

of course they payed the bill, they will drop and bend over when a rep from their biggest sellers ( london drugs) phones up and complains.
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
This is definatly an issue you need to address. Yes, request a new teck. He shouldd have rescheduled with you if he was there when you weren't (unprofessional to leave a note with instructions) 2 I wish you all the luck in getting a discount, It does happen, but frankly, I haven't the lung capacity(sp?) to take on such a task. More than likely the dishes need to be relocated due to obstructions in the way. Even though I have had trees in the direct path and not had a problem with reception.

J<---------Sorry to hear about the poor service.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Oct 1 2005, 01:30 AM)
im in canada and have bell expressvu

Bell Express is easy to hack ph34r.gif Or at least it was a few years ago. It is very similar to Dish Network

I've got dish network, normally I've set up my own dishes when I used the 500. Fiancee wanted the local so we just got upgraded to the superdish and a duel tuner DVR box. Anyway, the tech we got was really good.

We've got the same land line issue, they should really allow some type of lan connection and just use the internet.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

JDN14

ok, good to know im not crazy. thanks for the input guys!

enjoy,

Jacques
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

ChrisF-dude