Crx - B18c1 Jdm Swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
212 replies to this topic

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Decided I should start a project thread. Bought a B18C JDM front cut out of a 4 door 93 integra. Auto box, which is probably changing.

It's going into an 83/84 gen 1 crx that has seen a number of different engines and been raced. All before I got it.
While the body and suspension is good (Koni red and yellows, lowered, 86-89 teg front hubs and brakes for example, repaint except for the front header panel), the interior has been pulled apart, painted and reinstalled, the wiring is both tricky and suspect, and the plastic is getting brittle. When I got it it had one drivers seat, the other side had been used for transporting gearboxes and engine parts. It had a blown headgasket in a browntop zc.

Having the full front cut means that i have a lot of the original integra - engine and box, ecu, front brakes, wiring harness etc. As I have the complete wiring harness back to the front seats, I thought it would be a good idea to swap in the entire harness with the engine. That would remove the dodgy and 10 year older wiring I currently have. The old instrument pod is also suspect, with no perspex and the tach and temp guage having been rewired to idle is zero revs and show no temperature, etc. There is also no ignition switch - only dash swirches. So why not change in the integra instrument pod as well - 9500 rev tach, no cable to electronic speedo conversion, miles reflect the engine and not the body, etc.

While I was contemplating that exercise, I thought - I wonder if the whole dash would fit. A quick check with a tape measure showed that the width on the teg dash was 1 cm shorter than the crx, and the depth looked manageable. A trial fit of the windscreen strip indicated that the curvature of the windscreen was similar. As all the exercise would cost me was time, I took both dashes out. And it looks very possible. Some work required, but the pictures in the next post show that this project will include a damn good try at fitting an 93 Integra dash into a crx. Doing the heater etc will add some interest.

I'm also going to fit the integra brake calipers - they fit the 86-89 integra hubs, but you can't use the 262mm rotors - you have to use 250mm; and I'll see if the booster and master cylinder fit as well. The radiator is also up for the swap if it fits.

Gearbox and drivetrain - a type R manual ecu is due to arrive from New Zealand next week, and I'm looking for a good manual box and lsd. And an intake manifold. And mounts, axles, etc.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Pictures of dash swap
comparison side by side

comparison of depth

incar - passenger side

in car - drivers side

in car from rear

in car from front

Note that Door trim will not fit - that will require modification. Otherwise with some imaginative modifications and work this looks very possible
anjin aka Ian

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
thought I would aslo indicate the intended schedule

First, complete the rebuild on my other gen 1 crx BLUE - a browntop zc. The block is coming back from being decked and honed late next week. It then gets reassembled, is mated with the gearbox and axles and ecu from this car - RED - and swappedinto BLUE. The EW5 currently in BLUE takes a long holiday.

While I'm waiting for the block to be done, work on the dash conversion.

After BLUE is done, prep the now empty engine bay in RED.

Swap in the wiring

do the mounts, radiator etc.

Swap in the engine and gearbox. Thats a quick and simple 6 words to describe what is involved

Do the axles and exhaust. Only 5 words

See what I missed in getting it to work.

Get it relicenced.

Enjoy
anjin aka Ian

85supersleeper

• am i still in the slow lane???
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic sedan
have fun with fitting that dash in there. looks like a grueling task ahead of you!!! that would be pretty awesome if you got it to work. good luck on your project!

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Did a bit more comparison this afternoon - the setup supporting the steering wheel column is different, with the crx having less room to fit the cluster in. How unexpected.
Not an insurmountable problem, but I'll have to give it some careful consideration as that is an important saftey feature.

For interest, the teg steering column is a bit shorter than the crx, and the teg offset connecter to the steering rack is shorter as well. The spline diameter is the same. This reflects the deeper steering wheel design to accomodate the air safety bag in the teg I expect. The attachment points on the column itself are different - which i fully expected. So not a lot of point in swapping the steering columns. But they are close in their major features. Interesting what you find when poking about in two different models.
anjin aka Ian

GENONE

• CRX Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1983 CRX (29th Build), 1991 CRX, 1984 CRX HKS Supercharged
    • Image Gallery
thats awesome Ian! smile.gif

Im there to help if you need a hand... just let me know smile.gif
Posted Image
[GENONE] 1983 CRX Ballade Sports 1.5 SOHC Efi
[BANDIT] 1984 CRX Ballade Sports 1.6 DOHC HKS Supercharged
[SINISTR] 1991 CRX Si 1.6 DOHC Efi

eric87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF W/ Si motor R.I.P, 1985 Si w/ D16A1, 1996 Neon
    Garage View Garage
Never seena dash swap on one of these pricks before, looks cool...

What He Said /\/\/\

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Spent today trying to make it happen, but it won't. Basically its a depth thing. The gearshift will end up too close to the dash (read touching in three gears) , and while I could truncate the radio section and shorten and move the entire dash inwards I would have to take out the demister/heater conduits against teh windscreen, and then re-establish them two to three inches further back. Just not quite worth it when redoing both of the door panels is also involved, unless I was trying for a show car type refurbish - which is far far away from where I want to be.

The good news is that all of the wiring in the dash is now out, as is the instrument panel, and I have managed at the end of today to pretty much cut and file enough out of the normal dash to fit the teg instrument pod in. The teg pod is oval while the crx is rhomboid, so its not a neat and close fit. But it will work. I might, after everthing else is done, try to make a decent seal, but its not a priority.

My bottom line was to use the newer and OBD1 teg wiring without joining wires left right and centre to attach sensors, and I will acheive that.

Now to strip out the non-essentail wiring, both in the dash and in the rest, and get that into RED before the zc engine comes back and takes priority.

With the crx dash out I can also fix the broken bits, and get rid of the red painted bits, etc. Another bit of good news is that I have the passenger side SRS gear out and saleable.

An excellent bit of news is that I got a B18 type R manual ecu in the mail yesterday via New Zealand. Thats jdm typr R. Looking for bits to go with it now.
anjin aka Ian

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm doing something similar with my CR-V B20Z swap into my Civic hatch. Not the swapping the dash part, but swaping the harness and pod parts. I found the CR-V pod to be a little oval also, but with some trimming it fit in the Civic's pod hood. I did so a lot of wire splicing as I wanted to keep OEM Civic switches on the dash, so I can to wire their plugs onto the CR-V's dash harness. My car is actually going the OBD-2 path so I have a lot of wires to add, plus I'm adding cruise control and keyless entry. My car is really becoming 3 cars in one, the 86 Civic Si, 87 Integra LS and 99 CR-V LX.

Best of luck on your project and keep us posted.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
so then I read the end of the kakabox thread with the pics of the 'finished' beast. What an inspiring build.

It inspired me to try hacking into the integra dash - it was going out to scrap anyway - and seeing what happened.

After triming off along the windscreen vent holes which removed about 50mm of depth, shifting the middle mounting bolt hole to accept the crx locating pin about a centimetre right and up, cutting out the back of the instrument pod surround to accomodate the steering wheel and pedal mount support bracket, and cutting into what was the passenger side ventilation take-off to accomodate the crx dash mounting support, it fits closely enough to be feasible again. The cluster will still fit into the space left after cutting out the back, the gearstick has space, and I can easily get my fingers under the light stalk. It a goer again.
I'll put up some pictures off what was taken off tomorrow as guidance for anyone insane enough to try this type of thing themselves.

Now I have to adjust the trimline to get a good fit, determine and manufacture mount points, and figure out how to get air to the windscreen. I'm also going to look at mounting the teg heater and airbox into the crx as it will match up to the teg dash air flows.

Then it will be time to look at redoing the steering column cluster from crx to teg fittings - should be a simple enough deweld and reweld effort.

I do believe its going to work. Well, be made to work.
And thanks to kakabox for the inspire to try the hack and fit tonight.

Edited by anjin, 06 June 2007 - 10:35 AM.

anjin aka Ian

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well - Stage one of the project completed. The teg dash is installed, most of the bits back in, but not wired up yet. I have put the original crx headlight/wiper/indicator pod back on as the teg one didn't leave enough space between the switches and wheel, and a very cut down section of the crx surround. Currently it has the teg ignition switch, but that has some fancy cut-out which if it doesn't behave when I install the teg wiring will revert to a crx switch. There are two little holes under the instrument pod which were for a cool air supply to the driver and a traction control switch (assuming that is what tcs means) and I think will make very good spots for a big red switch and.....something else.
I managed to get the plastic cover off the airbag and fill the hole in the dash on the passenger side - those things are scary.
I am going to make a cloth shroud for the rest of the switch pod.
And I have yet to modify the door trims, but that should be ok

Drivers side

for those of you without a gen 1, BLUE in original state apart from steering wheel and gear knob

view from the rear

passenger side

Was it worth the time and effort so far? Probably. It has not been straightforward.
anjin aka Ian

bobdragster

• Without 無限Limit
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1980 Honda Prelude
    Garage View Garage
Thats a huge dash... but it looks great. Good job.

Edited by Rampage, 05 November 2008 - 08:36 PM.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
thats the ywas they should have came factory
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
ok - I have worked out how to do the door trims.

you can see how much I need to cut away. No more door speakers for a start.
For info, the rubber across the top is held in with tabs, and the red and black bits are screwed together. Quite easy to take apart and play with. I had to make up a little wood insert to fill the hole where the top section is cut away, and I have made another section from plywood to fill in the remainder of the speaker hole. Trimming that section will be a nice easy task.

Next time I will leave the horizontal part of the top section near the mirror in place rather than cut straight through. But it works.

and in car

anjin aka Ian

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Looks interesting.... Is there enough room to crank your window?