Loud Fuel Pump!

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

crazy87rexsi

• A big hairy american winning machine
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: To much for you pal, Ferrari...lol.......B16 1G, stock as a mofo!! ;)
    Garage View Garage
walboro 255 here, and sometimes its loud (ecspecialy at night it seems to be) and sometimes its quite. i also have gutted interior and i dont here mine................when its being quite laugh.gif

and it does the osililation with the blinker

Edited by crazy87rexsi, 24 February 2009 - 01:21 PM.

Josh

-part of the exclusive side license plate club

qouted from CarNutCertifies
Sex should be like a Civic; slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear

Pics of Build

Build Thread

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
My CRX has done the fuel pump/blinker thing for 23 years. Haven't noticed it as much lately, because I finally got around to installing one of them fancy CD players last month. laugh.gif

87crexsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si TURBO, 91 infiniti g20, 97 cbr 970rr
    Garage View Garage
put a walbro pump and eliminate that fuel damper and ull figure out what loud is. lol
Its a 1987 Honda CRX Si-T
T for TURBO
word.

C8V6C

Sounds like it could be going bad or not a good ground if it is clicking on you.

If you guys think your fuel pump is loud, listen to mine smile.gif

Fuel pump at 1:50.......areomotive a1000

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 86 CRX Si w/turbo D16 in the works.
Weird. I've never had that problem and owned several crx's/civics, but I just bought an 87 a few months back, and mine's loud too. I pulled the cover and it looks brand new. IIRC, there is an (external?) "silencer." Perhaps it wasn't replaced when the pump was.

Edited by poopshovel, 24 February 2009 - 04:45 PM.

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery

Yeah mine is loud too so I would hav to say you are probably fine... I like it though, let's me know the pump is coming on. smile.gif

kostritzer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic SI, 02 Audi A6 4.2, 00 VFR800
I've just spent some time replacing my fuel pump, measuring voltage drops etc. to try to cure this loud pump problem. My pump also oscillates with the turn signal and other electrical loads.

I have a voltage drop of about 1.2V between the main relay and the pump. I used a jumper wire from the battery to the positive terminal on the pump, and added another ground directly from the pump to the chassis. Voltage went up, and the oscillation is not as bad, but the pump is spinning faster now so its even louder. I also put in a "carter" pump, the damn thing is twice as loud as the original w/175K on it!

Anyone know if there is a quieter one available? I saw a Denso pump listed on hondapartsnow.com AKA Robertson Honda for a little over $200.00. Anyone have the part number for the Bosch pump? Is it the same or similar pump used in an older Rabbit?

kjeffery

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Crx SI, 06 Ford Focus, 08 Ford E-150
QUOTE (kostritzer @ Oct 20 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just spent some time replacing my fuel pump, measuring voltage drops etc. to try to cure this loud pump problem. My pump also oscillates with the turn signal and other electrical loads.

I have a voltage drop of about 1.2V between the main relay and the pump. I used a jumper wire from the battery to the positive terminal on the pump, and added another ground directly from the pump to the chassis. Voltage went up, and the oscillation is not as bad, but the pump is spinning faster now so its even louder. I also put in a "carter" pump, the damn thing is twice as loud as the original w/175K on it!

Anyone know if there is a quieter one available? I saw a Denso pump listed on hondapartsnow.com AKA Robertson Honda for a little over $200.00. Anyone have the part number for the Bosch pump? Is it the same or similar pump used in an older Rabbit?

maybe wrap it in dynamat if it doesn't hurt cooling it
I paint my hood black for that carbon fiber look!!

kostritzer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Oct 20 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe wrap it in dynamat if it doesn't hurt cooling it

I was thinking about insulating it better. I noticed today on the drive home from work that the sound was varying from sometimes quiet, to sometimes annoying. I wonder if the suction side of the pump is getting restricted intermittently. I did pull out the inlet filter since it was crudded up, but have since cleaned it and will probably put it back in.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
I"ve got to replace one of mine as well. So I'll be an ass and sit on the fence and see what you find out. Ha, ha...

Its been stalling the car periodically for the past 6 years, but never enough to kill me dead in my tracks. So definately not in a hurry

But seriously, let us know. I was looking the other day at brandsbut have no idea what to get. I need to save my stock pumps for the concours.

D
Keepin' it OEM

kostritzer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Oct 20 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I"ve got to replace one of mine as well. So I'll be an ass and sit on the fence and see what you find out. Ha, ha...

Its been stalling the car periodically for the past 6 years, but never enough to kill me dead in my tracks. So definately not in a hurry

But seriously, let us know. I was looking the other day at brandsbut have no idea what to get. I need to save my stock pumps for the concours.

D

If I don't hear anything about a bosch part number specific for our cars, I'm just going to order a Rabbit pump and compare it to my stock one. The only thing that is iffy to me is the pressure side of the pump. Not sure if the damper will thread on to the bosch pump, they usually use a cap, and it has deeper threads.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
fuel pump? i never hear my fuel pump! then again who would over the 2inch single glasspack side exit exhaust revvin to 7g w0000t!
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Sounds like kaymo's got the sound problem solved!

D
Keepin' it OEM

kostritzer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Oct 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like kaymo's got the sound problem solved!

D

Yeah, my car is stock at the moment. No stereo either! Just the little piece of plastic in the dash with "HONDA" written on it! Looking into the Bosch pump, I believe the part number is 69400.

toxicshit

QUOTE (sawchuk @ Feb 20 2009, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best fuel pump is Bosch. I've used one for 5 years with out problems. It's no toy! It is alot more expensive than a Walbros but you get what you pay for. Price:$199.00

The Bosch Super In-line Pump is the king of all in-line fuel pumps. Is capable of keep high (up to 100 psi constant) fuel pressure under boost without pressure drop-off. This pump keeps fuel pressures rock solid where the little "carter" or "t-rex" pump has failed to keep up. COmes with banjo fittings to convert both ends to slip on barb. This pump can also easily convert to -6 applications handling up to 500 HP applications.

do you have a part number of the pump ?

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg