My Mugen Crx! New Pics 2/28/09

• You cannot reply to this topic
130 replies to this topic

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
Got some pics from the bodyshop today.
Most of the proceeds from my big parts sale are bring directed at this, so if you want to see the finished product BUY BUY BUY!!! smile.gif

This is with about 14 hours of body work done. this kit is NOT for amateur bodymen. I talked to the main guy at the shop this afternoon and he said while the kit is very well made the pieces are quite rough and required MUCH shaping/trimmind/tweaking to get them to fit properly.

My car is an 85si with 126K original miles on it. the rear wing is removed, as is the wiper assembly and rear squirter. I have a CF mugen spoiler replica that will also be mounted.
Anyways, without further ado, the progress pics!!!

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
SWEET!! It already looks badass. are you going to doe the same color scheme? blue/silver? I always loved that combo. congratulations!

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
It’s going to look sweet when it’s done!! Two-tone mugen crx?haha

I think that blue is nice, especially in the sun.

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
car will be solid baltic blue, with either the red molding stripe or black molding I havent decided yet.
To stay two tone would cost a lot more money in paint, and I think it will look better as a solid color with the kit on.
I loved the 2-tone on the stock body though.

Thanks for the comments

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Looks good. I'm taking a chance with the race version quarters and fenders. I hope it turns out as good as yours.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

DarkHand

She's gonna look nice!

QUOTE (funkmaster @ Feb 5 2008, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
car will be solid baltic blue

Phew! smile.gif It's my secret dream to have the only two-tone blue and silver CRX with a mugen kit one day. laugh.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 05 February 2008 - 05:27 PM.

DarkHand

3gcivicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si (mighty mouse), 1996 gsxr 1100 (the two wheeled road beast)
dammit man.... blink.gif thats a bad ass rex, thats the kind of project that makes you wanna ditch work to get more done on it... nice car man.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
THEY'RE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY STILL BRING A
SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH
THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS.

koshir

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: CRX 86' and 91' :: JAZZ 08'
looks nice
will look good with those MR5s

keep it going wink.gif

AllGo

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: EDM '86 AS CRX, B16A2, P30
Is that the houseman kit? So they are still making them? That good news!

I tried contacting him a couple of times, but no reaction so far sad.gif. I need it for my project car:
http://www.redpepper...e...c=36836&hl=
EDM AS CRX - B16A2 engine - Y2 gearbox - P30 ecu - more coming

dohcvtechatchback

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: two 1986 hatchback si 88 samurai 98 civic hx dd 87 e30c
tires flat

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (AllGo @ Feb 6 2008, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that the houseman kit? So they are still making them? That good news!

I tried contacting him a couple of times, but no reaction so far sad.gif. I need it for my project car:
http://www.redpepper...e...c=36836&hl=

Actually ive had this kit for about 2 years.
I went to Canada to pick this up personally. While I was there I talked to Jamie (he IS Houseman), he said he will not be producing the kit anymore. He claimed it was just too much hassle for the amount of actual orders he gets. He said he gets multiple phone calls every week but once ppl hear the price they never call back.

If youre serious about getting the kit, CALL him. He doesnt respond to emails very well, but you can catch him on the phone. He doesnt waste time getting the kit done if you are SERIOUS about buying one. He requries a deposit, so keep that in mind. If you pick the kit up, the price is $1750 USD (at least thats what I paid). If you need to have it shipped expect your cost to rise well over $2000. He ships the kit in a large crate (which you pay for), and will only ship to an Air Canada terminal (closest one to me was over 100mi away).

That said im very happy I got the kit, since even though its a replica it will still be an extremely rare car.
Jamie (well actually its his wife that does the FG work), has been making this kit for about 6-7 years now and when I talked to him he said he had only sold ~15 kits.

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
wow. looks real nice. any rust that needs to be taken care of before the kit goes on? whats the boddy work/paint costing you?also what paint do you plan to use?

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (lil buddy @ Feb 6 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow. looks real nice. any rust that needs to be taken care of before the kit goes on? whats the boddy work/paint costing you?also what paint do you plan to use?

No, no rust at all. thats really the big reason I bought this car in the first place. I already had my 87si at the time, but its a bucket of rust. The body shop guy was very surprised when he saw the car for the first time. He said this: "WOW, this thing is in great shape! I havent seen one of these this nice sine 1985!"

The body work/paint right now is projected at $2500-$3000.
My dad is a used car dealer and uses this guy on a regular basis for any repair work needed for his cars.
My dad says he is the best paint/body man hes ever come across, and from my dad that means a lot he is a true perfectionist. The guy mainly focuses on restoring muscle cars (if you couldnt tell from the background in the photos), and for a light restoration (interior out, rust fixed, full paint) he normally charges a MINIMUM of $10K. He has clients lined up willing to pay that! He is doing this work for me/mydad at a steeply discounted price. This work would normally cost at least $5000, probably closer to $6000.

The car will be solid Baltic blue, I dont know the specifics on what brand of paint will be used, but I know he uses all top quality materials.

Thanks for the compliment, I cant wait to get her back!

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
thats a great price. most people have no idea how much work is involved in something like that. and yes i saw the cars in the backround. looks like you found yourself a good body man. good luck with it. btw what state is your car from?

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
I bought it from another RPR member who lives in Virginia. It was like 650 miles from me, a town called williamsburg or something i think.