Left Turn Only (On Dirt)

• You cannot reply to this topic
291 replies to this topic

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
Only what is required to make it run. Everything else gets deleted. The first motor I bought has a harness but some water head chopped it all up.

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 10 March 2014 - 10:50 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

I think there is a 1/4 inch to be had on either side by cutting the protrusion, banging it flat, and welding it back together. 1/4" doesn't leave much margin for error...

Wheel spacers ain't "legal" and would add weight that I just spent half a day getting rid of. May not have been worth the effort, but I removed all the undercoating from the axle. I may try some other wheels.

Tomorrow, I'll build a new PHB body mount.

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 10 March 2014 - 10:53 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
OMG, I spent half the day being lazy with the near blizzard like weather and when I got three tack welds on and ran out of wire..... Should have stayed in the warmth.

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 10 March 2014 - 10:54 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Got moving again finally. Got the back axle back together.

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 10 March 2014 - 10:55 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I got started on my PHB mount. Everyone says this is a weak spot and since I'll be bangin' around with 15 other assholes that want to hit my left rear tire to spin me out, I thought I would beef it up.

I had some 1" X 1/8" flat laying around so I laid some in the "frame" there to distribute the load a little. They are 8" long and I left enough gap between em to lay some weld in there.

image_zps320bd452.jpg

1 5/8" X .085 tubing frame to frame. Please excuse my mud dobbin'.

image_zps1f95b334.jpg

Car had been hit on the right rear and had obvious signs of warpage on the inner and outer fender. Didn't pay much attention when I slapped the cage in a few months ago. When sitting on jack stands on all four jack points, the right rear clears it's jack by 1/4". After installing the PHB mount-cross-brace. The cross bar is 1/2" farther from the axle on the right, it's noticeable. Meh, it's just a race car.

image_zpscb8afa5d.jpg

More tomorrow. Oh, I put some .120 washers under the right rear spindle for, I believe, 2.3* of toe out. Ouch! That was a lot. We shall see how it corners. I expect it to be unruly, just the way I like it!

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 18 January 2014 - 12:35 AM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Not much progress today. Pulled both the knuckles off the CRX. I inspected the CRX and LCA's and could see no discernible difference in the length. The ball joint cap on the bottom was quite a bit bigger than the CRX but no matter how I measured them, I could find no difference in length...... I was hoping to get a head start on some negative camber.

If anybody is actually reading this, I'm curious if anyone else has measured this and came up with the same result. My measuring method wasn't scientific but with both knuckles sitting lug side down on the bench, I confirmed the caliper mounting flanges were flush and then spun the knuckles and measure from the table to the ball joint mounting hole.

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 10 March 2014 - 11:01 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
After splitting two "ricks" of firewood, I got back in the shop. More work on the PHB mount.

image_zpsa9ef17f7.jpg

New PHB. Not adjustable but far more sturdy than the original. I had some 3/4" X (Ithink)16ga. Square tube and it fir pretty darn well.

image_zps80c7ea54.jpg

Paint.

image_zps03f0056e.jpg

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 20 January 2014 - 12:33 AM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Some bracing and some $1 rattle can.

image_zps2e1ff048.jpg

Some of my Dollar General paint was flat and some gloss.... Bummer.

image_zpsaa94f992.jpg

A different angle.

image_zps982a8ab4.jpg

I don't know why photobucket turns some of my pix upside down. When I click on the "Edit" button, they are right side up. Meh.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Trying to see why the heck they are upside down.

image_zps982a8ab4.jpg

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 20 January 2014 - 12:37 AM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I don't know what photobucket is doing to my pix. Mostly they are upside down when I post them but are right-side-up when I log on later.... Hm

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 20 January 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I went a little different route on my tower brace also.

30bc279e-13a8-41be-847f-5680bf6a4b7c_zps

I added some brace to the outer fender also. All that work to lose a few pounds and I add it right back in. I think it will be a little more rigid. As I was welding it in the body was popping and groaning so I know it is all working together. It physically feels/sounds better when I bounce on it.

image_zps10d25b24.jpg

f1cdf385-38ee-4374-afa8-4ff9313fd28e_zps

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 21 January 2014 - 08:22 AM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
A little paint. It will all get a coat eventually.

9654dde7-a43b-4dc7-b121-6e235428499d_zps

My window net latch I did last year. It's almost the same vintage ('87) just the wrong make.

137db3e4-a66a-431d-96f0-4a43b8de263d_zps

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
It was pushing 60* today so I did a little cleaning. Degreaser + pressure washer. No picture but I did all the motor/tranny mounts and torque tubes also.

image_zps39d80886.jpg

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

It would appear that you've done this before :).  Nice work!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

Thank you!  I appreciate the complement!  I've done a little fabricating but no, this is the first time I've built a track car.  I'm getting a kick out of building it.  It's different than anything I've done before. 

Thanks for showing some interest, I felt like the Lone Ranger there for a bit.  I've quickly learned less typing and more pictures gets more views also :lol:.  I've got some questions that don't get answered through this build thread so I gotta start some others.  Found something interesting about the torsion bars that I'm working out some math on right now.  Build wise, I'll get the strut brace done on the passenger side and put the front suspension and brakes back on so I can get the car outside to the pressure washer.  I wanna remove all the undercoating but dont cherish the idea of laying on my back under the car with a wire wheel.  I got an idea about that.  Sorry, too much typing, not enough pictures.