Replica Crx Door Caps, In Fiberglass

• You cannot reply to this topic
146 replies to this topic

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
Hey guys, I am about 3 seconds away from making some door cap reps in fiberglass. They would probably run something like $150-180 each. I'd feel better knowing there would be more than just me who would want them...is that true?

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
How about the sill caps for the 86-87 Si?
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
I would eventually. Any little hit to the end of the old caps results in difficult to repair cracks and I plan on keeping my car forever.

exartist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yes I would probably be interested in a pair if they are duplicate panels. What year will they fit? I have an '85 Si; will the panels be a direct fit, or will I have make "adjustments"?

dwend

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 93 Honda Prelude 4WS, 86 Honda CRX DX
    Garage View Garage
I think carbon/Kevlar would be a better choice, for me. The door and skirts get hit by cones almost every weekend. So I need something more impact resistant then FG, thus the Kevlar idea. Either a DX or SI skirt is a must aswell for the CRX owner since I have already broken about half of mine just from cone hits.
I would pay good money for a set of CF/Kev panels.

I have been toying with the idea of making them. It would not be that hard to make. Just expensive and time consuming, which is fine by me.

Edited by dwend, 10 March 2012 - 03:43 PM.

-86 CRX D16a1 swap
-93 Prelude Si 4WS
-09 Top Kart Shifter

Smokescreem

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI ,2004 CRV EX, 1968 VW BUG, 1955 Porsche Speedster replica
    Garage View Garage
sign me up ! AL

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
Though different technology to make, I always thought the door caps could be duplicated from stamped (thin) aluminum.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88crx si (B16A1swap) 85crx si (D16a1swap) 90 ford mustang coupe (347 stroker 6 speed) 2000 Honda RC51 (full Ohlins suspension,MoriwakiExh.)
QUOTE (kedwards @ Mar 10 2012, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though different technology to make, I always thought the door caps could be duplicated from stamped (thin) aluminum.

Keith

I like what he said.

Buut yeah i would be interested in some. Is there a difference in door cap design as far as models/years?

Living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

dwend

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 93 Honda Prelude 4WS, 86 Honda CRX DX
    Garage View Garage
Stamped aluminum, would be nice. But initial cost would be a lot since you have to machine a mold for stamping. Making a mold for Fiberglass or Carbon fiber lay up is much much cheaper, since the mold can be made form CF or FG.
-86 CRX D16a1 swap
-93 Prelude Si 4WS
-09 Top Kart Shifter

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (eec4tuner @ Mar 10 2012, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like what he said.

Buut yeah i would be interested in some. Is there a difference in door cap design as far as models/years?

The only difference between years is the shape of the recessed area for the screws (behind the rub strips).

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Mar 10 2012, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about the sill caps for the 86-87 Si?

Yeah, was thinking it would be best to systematically work my way through all the plastics. Fenders would be next. Thanks to you we have a sunroof available...

QUOTE (exartist @ Mar 10 2012, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I would probably be interested in a pair if they are duplicate panels. What year will they fit? I have an '85 Si; will the panels be a direct fit, or will I have make "adjustments"?

I have an 85 Si now. I thought they were all pretty much the same but reading on it seems not so. Our goal though, is to make things work properly without needing to make modifications to make them fit right.

QUOTE (dwend @ Mar 10 2012, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think carbon/Kevlar would be a better choice, for me. The door and skirts get hit by cones almost every weekend. So I need something more impact resistant then FG, thus the Kevlar idea. Either a DX or SI skirt is a must aswell for the CRX owner since I have already broken about half of mine just from cone hits.
I would pay good money for a set of CF/Kev panels.

I have been toying with the idea of making them. It would not be that hard to make. Just expensive and time consuming, which is fine by me.

CF is a stronger material but it not going to be any more impact resistant than FG. It is still a hard material meaning it will crack with a good enough hit. However you should know that the FG process we use is not going to result in the sh!tty ebay fiberglass that you have seen in the past. The layup we use is quite strong.

That being said, we CAN make in kevlar or CF once we have a mold. They will be expensive though.

QUOTE (kedwards @ Mar 11 2012, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only difference between years is the shape of the recessed area for the screws (behind the rub strips).

Keith

So, can we make one that fits all? That would be ideal in my mind.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
Every panel that I have owned or seen for these cars are shaped the same and have the same recess. The only difference I know of is that the panels for the non-Si have a piece of rubber glued in beside the screw hole. The Si panels do not have that piece of rubber because of the clip for molding. But they certainly seem identical to me.

Si panel

Non-Si panel

Jeff

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI Turbo EW-4 225 whp 230 torque and a 99 Civic SI 2004 Acura TSX
I want the door panels and the sill caps. I hit somthing on the freeway and it punched a hole in the bottom of the sill cap and my door panels are cracked from the screw holes. I have fiberglass fenders on my my car now.

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Where did the fenders come from? How are they?

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
The only ones that fit all models (84-87) are the 86-87. The ones in those pics above are 86-87. They modified the track for the molding for the clips on the si's but fitted these new "modified" panels on the dx even though they didn't need to. If you try to install the 86-87 si molding on the 84-85 panels you have to find a way to do it without the clips.

Are you laying up these panels with epoxy or poly?
How soon can we expect you to have all of the molds done for all of the plastics? There is a huge demand for fenders and sideskirts (enough to make you a lot of money).
The upper door seals that were mentioned are rubber over metal, ive been contemplating reverse engineering for a long time, but have come up short. Again huge demand.
If you have someone experienced with rubber molding, the rear quarter window seals are a big one.

Somebody making the above mentioned parts in the aftermarket is the only thing that is going to keep alot of these wonderful cars on the road. Many of the plastics are falling apart beyond repair and people are giving up because as soon as they source some decent used ones those crack too. I don't even want to paint my pos because I am certain that it will only last a short time before everything starts cracking again.
grimms mom