• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

twilightprotege

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 Ballade Sports 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
i know i've seen pictures of it done before, so there's no question if it can be done or not, but has anyone considered or done a h2b swap (ie h22a engine, b series gearbox)?

i'm thinking it's an easier swap than a h22a and h series box because i'll only need to fab up one mount - the drivers side mount. the rear and passenger side mounts *should* be b-series. does anyone have any info on this?

being a b-series box i'd assume there would be far fewer customisation work needed to be done - the shifter linkage will work froma b-series swap, the axles from a b-series swap will work, just about everything should work.

before anyone says the engine is too front heavy - i dont care. barely street driven, mainly drag racing. i am also under the impression that a b-series engine with appropriate mounts also tilts the engine forward - is this correct? (again - a benefit to drag racing getting more weight in front of the tires)

so - has anyone done this? any info on it? any help is greatly appreciated!
EW5 (1.5i) - 83whp (Open exhaust, pod air filter). 16.329 1/4 mile with no interior and a very badly slipping clutch....well not for too much longer ;)

dohcvtechatchback

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: two 1986 hatchback si 88 samurai 98 civic hx dd 87 e30c
]
I tought about it once as my friend and I were doing a h2b in his eg but I dont think the engine would fit or clear the strut tower as is was really close in the eg plus the crank pully was a super close fit also we had to have the power streering pully shaved off not to mention the intake manifold would be threw the hood not saying that wouldnt look cool but I dont think the h2b would work

twilightprotege

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
i'll only be using a 1 belt crank pulley - only need an alternator - no ps to worry about. can relocate the alternator is easier too (ie would be nice to change a belt without having to remove the engine!)

the intake manifold is no problem either - going custom. custom hood anyway

any other thoughts?
EW5 (1.5i) - 83whp (Open exhaust, pod air filter). 16.329 1/4 mile with no interior and a very badly slipping clutch....well not for too much longer ;)

dohcvtechatchback

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: two 1986 hatchback si 88 samurai 98 civic hx dd 87 e30c
not sure if it will clear the strut tower and the frame rail If you really want to swap a h22 your gonna need to to get the trany as far over as you can just use the h22 trany and make the mounts h2b conversion is $1000 plus you would need....never mind it would never work

twilightprotege

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
there's 3 main reasons i am considering the h2b swap

1 is that the b-series box is stronger
2 is that there are far more options in terms of gear ratios etc for the b-series box
3 is that the b-series boxes use a rod to change gears rather than crappy cable shifting (will be important at high rpm)

i've got no problem modifying the chassis rail if required

for sh!ts and giggles, has anyone measured the distance between chassis rails on a later model crx/civic? i've got 870mm on my 1g crx

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
How much wider is the H than the B series engine? The H2B kit adds what? an inch between the block and tranny? It is going to be very tight on the drivers side of the engine. Do some quick measurements and it will tell you if it will fit. I have thought about the idea, but decided that boost is a much easier and more powerful option.
twitter: @lylehatton

twilightprotege

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
the h22a will be boosted wink.gif

can someone measure the width at the top of the block of a b-series motor for me? my h22a head is coming off tomorrow so i can measure the h22a then

z6crx

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 91 CRX Si
QUOTE (twilightprotege @ Oct 23 2007, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the h22a will be boosted wink.gif

can someone measure the width at the top of the block of a b-series motor for me? my h22a head is coming off tomorrow so i can measure the h22a then

I can get you a measurement tomorrow morning. I also have an H2B Kit for sale on hondaswap under z6crx as well. A friend just referred me over to this. So I just made a name and posted. I was actually considering trying to jam it into a 1G myself but currently do not have the time or resources to try this myself
an H22 into a 1g Crx would be awesome.

From what I know, notching the inside of the framerail is required on the 2G Crx unless you have an aftermarket crank pulley. So i would assume the block with the plate s about an inch or so wider. The plate is about 1/2" thick if you're wondering, but i can get you the actual measurements soon along with which measure with the chassis frame rail if i can get it.

GENONE

• CRX Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1983 CRX (29th Build), 1991 CRX, 1984 CRX HKS Supercharged
    • Image Gallery
Go Andy!!!!
Posted Image
[GENONE] 1983 CRX Ballade Sports 1.5 SOHC Efi
[BANDIT] 1984 CRX Ballade Sports 1.6 DOHC HKS Supercharged
[SINISTR] 1991 CRX Si 1.6 DOHC Efi

twilightprotege

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
z6crx - is the h2b kit used?

i've measures the length of the f20b i've got - 500mm. can someone measure how far it is from the passenger side chassis rail to the start of a b series engine???

z6crx

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 91 CRX Si
QUOTE (twilightprotege @ Oct 26 2007, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
z6crx - is the h2b kit used?

yes, it is used and currently sitting on an H22a. It does come with the some extra parts, like an aluminum flywheel and a alternator relocation bracket. I'm in central PA if that helps you out any if you want to check it out. Then again I just looked you're in Australia, that may be a bit of a pain to complete any transaction.

Regardless, this should be an interesting thread to watch.

Edited by z6crx, 29 October 2007 - 10:42 AM.

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
you have pm twilight tongue.gif
QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

twilightprotege

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
has anyone managed to take a measurement for me??? would be greatly appreciated.

z6 - pm me prices you're looking at. i'm more than happy to pay via paypal etc

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
on the intake manifold, here is a later model civic H22a install with an insert into the firewall done by DFrost -a NZ member of our local forum

He did this rather than the normal method because he wanted the drive shafts to be straight and to shift the weight back. He fabricated up his own mount points for the engine bay, etc. Quite a nice swap.
Similar race swaps have the insert removable for access to the back of the IM from inside the cabin.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
Looks like that totally eliminated any idea of having a heater core...

86 crx