4wd Wagon Engine Question

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

curve_hugger

Someone I know has a straight 87 4wd wagovan that needs an engine. He has one in another 2wd wagon. His mechanic told him the engine wouldn't bolt up, but I don't think that's true? I have never dealt with 4wd so I don't know....but I hoped you would! ;-)

So are the engines the same and bolt on to the transaxle? I know the transaxles are different.

TX

Cat
Missing my 1500S.... =(

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
It will bolt into his chasis. It will not bolt up to his AWD transmission.

If he is determined to use his 2WD engine he will have to use his 2WD transmission which means he will have to use the 2WD trans mounts and drivers side axle. Maybe even the passenger side axle. The worst part is that he will also have to change to the 2WD shifter assembly and linkage.

This is a lot of swapping just to downgrade the car but if he has both complete cars and just needs a quick cheap fix for a driver then I say go for it.

A better option would ne to throw in a D16A1 from a 86-89 integra. Carb or fuel injection are both options depending on how much time and money he wants to put into it. The D16A1 bolts right up to the AWD transmission
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

curve_hugger

Thanks for the info. That's too bad. He's not rich or a mechanic and just so happens to have a good engine in a wrecked wagon and a straight 4wd. =(

I will let him know.
Missing my 1500S.... =(

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
As much as I hate Carb, is say his best bet would be to go Carb zc or find a Carb manifold and do a Carb D16A1. Actually, any newer civic D series engine will bolt to his transmission.... just requires a modifies front drivers side engine mount.

I built the only known AWD fuel injected blacktop D16A1 wagon in existence.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

digdug18

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 civic rt4wd, 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon
What is wrong with the engine in the wagon currently? Could be an easy fix.

curve_hugger

QUOTE (digdug18 @ Feb 12 2011, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is wrong with the engine in the wagon currently? Could be an easy fix.

It doesn't exist.
Missing my 1500S.... =(

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic hatch dx w/dohc swap, 88 civic RT wagon, 89 acura integra ls, 90 civic si pearl white, 93 cb7 w/ slotted drilled brakes black lights and a soon to be installed 98 h22a4
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (curve_hugger @ Feb 12 2011, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't exist.

I have a question I have a 89 rt wagon in decent condition and a d16z6. Will the d16z6 fit the bell housing?
Are the trans in 84-87 & 88-90 the same bolt pattern?
ph34r.gif
Thanks guys
dohc swaped

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes, the d16z6 will fit the bell housing, but you will need to convert the wiring to fuel injected in order for everything to run right. Unless you have the carb'd JDM motor that stilll has carbs on it.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic hatch dx w/dohc swap, 88 civic RT wagon, 89 acura integra ls, 90 civic si pearl white, 93 cb7 w/ slotted drilled brakes black lights and a soon to be installed 98 h22a4
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Feb 23 2011, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, the d16z6 will fit the bell housing, but you will need to convert the wiring to fuel injected in order for everything to run right. Unless you have the carb'd JDM motor that stilll has carbs on it.

Awsome that takes a load off my mind. The wagon in question is the 89 rt, so it has the16a6 in it and it runs really good but could use a rebuild for peice of mind... plus I herd I could put the y8 on it.. I will then install the nodded si engine in my 90si shell. Then my supercharged z6 will go in the wagon. Another question I had, if people put the z6 head on the y8 block to boost compression would putting the y8 head on the z6 block give me a better platform for the supercharger, and possibly a 12psi turbo setup later. Thanks for the help. I know you are all way more into the EC civic and first gen crx.
dohc swaped

digdug18

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 civic rt4wd, 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon
you have to convert more then the wiring to drop a efi into a carbed car, you need to change the fueling system around as well.