Rear Panhard Bar Questions (kinda)

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
i get that it keeps everything more stable, and center to some extent, but i was wondering if there was any other ideas on accompishing this? i have a welder, and the possibilities are endless really, but rather than fool with makeing an adjustable, has anyone else gotten really crestive to accomplish the the same results of a panhard that doesnt cause the rear end to go off to one side when lowered? pics if possible.... idk it might sound stupid, but just checking
grimms mom

Phantom_Allstar

• hey... guys, can I cut this off?
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 si rex
I`v seen pictures of different setups that people have made to get away from the panhard bar, but its been awhile, did you try searching?
the search on RPR sort of sucks, so I search through google.....just found this
http://www.redpepper...showtopic=30175

I hope this helps?

Christopher

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Jay did a Mumford as well:
http://www.redpepper...e...&hl=mumford
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
you guys know everything! im gonna look up the watts link.... has anybody calculated dimensions for a good mumford?

i think i would like to go with that, but my welding skills are far from it right now.... i dont want it to look like crap
grimms mom

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (icebox187 @ Jun 6 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you guys know everything! im gonna look up the watts link.... has anybody calculated dimensions for a good mumford?

i think i would like to go with that, but my welding skills are far from it right now.... i dont want it to look like crap

You should do it anyway! Your welding will never get better unless you put the time in. Welding is not a spectator sport. Use/Do it or lose it!

Google "Mumford Link" and you will find some cool sites that help you figure out what will work for you. I personally think what Jay did is super cool. It's different! And it works.

Jay will probably chime in and help out with resources.

David

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Jun 6 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should do it anyway! Your welding will never get better unless you put the time in. Welding is not a spectator sport. Use/Do it or lose it!

Google "Mumford Link" and you will find some cool sites that help you figure out what will work for you. I personally think what Jay did is super cool. It's different! And it works.

Jay will probably chime in and help out with resources.

David

Yep, and when I tried to yesterday everyone knows why I couldn't. so I went back outside to work on some stuff. Then again this AM, same thing, so I went back out into the garage. Then again after lunch...so I watched Lewis Hamilton drive like his daddy does! laugh.gif

smile.gif FWIW...Congrats to Robert Kubica AND the BMW team!
cool.gif
Anyway, now that it's back up, it's late and I'm tired. I'll try to add my .02 tomorrow.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The hard part is finding spots to tie the Mumford/Watt link to the body sheet metal. Some reinforcing will be needed, I would think.

The panhard bar is a cheap/easy solution to the problem, the Mumford/Watt link is obviously more complicated. Making your own adjustable panhard bar is easy enough to make out of readily available parts from a good racing supply house (I like Pegasus Racing as they are supporters of this site).

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
well, i think the mumford is tto much for me to do, i dont autox, i just drag, and i want something a lil better on the streets.... ive looked at a couple watts on fords, and i think i can do it up pretty light..... so im gonna go to the junkyard and cut one out (for reference) and try to make one specifically for my rex... they dont seem too bad, and i think it will be an improvement to the panhard
grimms mom

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (icebox187 @ Jun 8 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, i think the mumford is tto much for me to do, i dont autox, i just drag, and i want something a lil better on the streets.... ive looked at a couple watts on fords, and i think i can do it up pretty light..... so im gonna go to the junkyard and cut one out (for reference) and try to make one specifically for my rex... they dont seem too bad, and i think it will be an improvement to the panhard

Sorry to be such a nag about this, but the minor difference between the Watts link is it's only a little easier to do than the Mumford. The major difference is the Mumford lets you place your roll center anywhere you want! You could even put it below ground if you wanted to.

But really, if you are mostly dragging, I would just use a panhard bar. The extra weight and complexity of the Watts will gain you nothing.

David

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Jun 9 2008, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But really, if you are mostly dragging, I would just use a panhard bar. The extra weight and complexity of the Watts will gain you nothing.

David

^ ^ ^ Yup! wink.gif That's what I was thinking too. Especially if you're primarily using it for street/strip. Also, as Scott mentioned, you will need to figure a way to connect adequate bracing for the links to work properly.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
^^ +2 ^^

I would suspect you could make/find a very light chrome-moly panhard rod that will be so much lighter and less complex than either a Watts link or a Mumford device, and still be a substantial improvement over the stock PHB, especially if this only being used for drag racing.

K.I.S.S.

A Watts link would personally be my last choice since it is very heavy in terms of unsprung weight.
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
^+3^

and if you are worried about it being centered when you adjust the hight you could simply put a turn buckle or some other simple adjustment device in the middle of you're panhard bar
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Hatch w/ swapped built EW3, 1996 Miata
FWIW, I didn't notice the car handle differently around left turns compared to right turns when I took my car to the track. It's lowered and I still use the stock panhard bar. I can't tell that the axle is offset, though I'm sure it is.
Posted Image

onefasthondacrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX SI MUGEN WIDEBODY
    • Image Gallery
There is a guy on ebay selling adjustable panhard bars. I bought one off of him cause my left side tires was raming into the fender when I lowered the car. I installed it, it fit perfect and works better than I could have ever imagined. Look up item number 230252843832. The auction has already ended, but I'm sure he has more. Just contact him and ask him if you could buy one.

Actually, now that I think of it, I got all his information when he mailed me the bar.
email me if you want his contact info

Hope this helps.

Edited by onefasthondacrx, 17 June 2008 - 06:47 PM.

When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
QUOTE (onefasthondacrx @ Jun 17 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a guy on ebay selling adjustable panhard bars. I bought one off of him cause my left side tires was raming into the fender when I lowered the car. I installed it, it fit perfect and works better than I could have ever imagined. Look up item number 230252843832. The auction has already ended, but I'm sure he has more. Just contact him and ask him if you could buy one.

Actually, now that I think of it, I got all his information when he mailed me the bar.
David xxxxx
xxx-xxx-xxxx
[email protected]

Hope this helps.

AKA firstgencrx on this site, I believe. Nice looking adjustable panhard bars he's making!

Just a thought, but with all the e-mail address trolling and spam nowadays (not by rpr members, of course), you may want to remove David's personal info from your post.