1987 crx hf

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

qarnet

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
I recently purchased a 1987 CRX HF, but it needs a new engine.  I am guessing it has the original engine (1342 cc).

Would I be able to put a 1488 cc (carb) engine without changing anything else?

I'm new at all this, so your patience and understanding will be appreciated..smile.gif

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
You could swap in a carbed ZC engine, which bolts right in.  I've been told that the power gain is incredible!

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes, I believe the 1.5l carbed engine will be a direct bolt in. From looking at the 1.3 and 1.5, I cannot find anything that isn't the same, visually at least. It would be the easiest swap you could do. A carbed ZC would be trickier (ask 1GCRXDX). If you want complicated, convert to fuel injection, and go from there!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

qarnet

• Granny
  • Pip
I'm just looking to get a decently running car.  I've already read the "complications" of going EFI, and that's a headache I don't really want..smile.gif  The 1.5 seems like it will be good enough.  Thanks..smile.gif

Gasoline Fumes

The HF is a 1488cc. The 1342cc engine was only used in the base 1984 CRX and the 1984-87 base hatchback. The HF has a higher compression ratio, 4 less valves than the DX, smaller main and rod journals, roller rockers and a transmission geared for gas mileage. The DX engine should drop right in.

1GCRXDX

• Going all out!
  • PipPipPipPip
If you get tired of the 1.5 there is always that step up to the DOHC side.  The ZC is quite a power difference compared to the 1.3 or even the 1.5  If you want an every day driver stick to the 1.3, If you want a little bit of fun and power go for the 1.5 and if you want the speed and the power and have patience go for the ZC.  It wouldn't be that hard to Buy a FI ZC and rip the Fuel injection crap off of it and stick some cheap carbs on there and that would do  but your best bet would probebly be what you already said the 1.5L It is almost exactly the same, everything boltsright up and there should be no problems

Brandon
If anyone can tell me somting better than a Weberized ZC I have yet to hear it!

qarnet

• Granny
  • Pip
Thanks for all your help and advice.  Seems like the 1.5 is the way to go, so now I must go and do it..smile.gif

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Get the DX motor in there, add a cam, header, and 2 inch exhaust, and you'll be amazed at how fast that thing will be!!!
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 Honda CRX DX with "stuff"
Didn't I already answer this on H-A.net?  ;)

Harry
-Twin DCOE 40's still humming along

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
H-A forums aren't working for me. They haven't in a long time...  :angry:
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 Honda CRX DX with "stuff"
QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ May 30 2002,08:20)
H-A forums aren't working for me. They haven't in a long time...  mad.gif

Maybe I didn't answer this guy on there...

Anyways, they're back up in full swing with no probs as of yesterday, although everyone has to re-register as the host went bankrupt, didn't tell anyone, and the database was lost.

http://honda-acura.net

Harry
-Twin DCOE 40's still humming along