Rear Brakes(aka A Topic That Has Been Beaten To Death)

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
OK this is just a lighthearted poke here......

But, aren't you changing the weight distribution by adding heavier disks to the back.......thus increasing the need for better rear braking?

biggrin.gif

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (RETROCRX @ Feb 11 2009, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK this is just a lighthearted poke here......

But, aren't you changing the weight distribution by adding heavier disks to the back.......thus increasing the need for better rear braking?

biggrin.gif

Rob

Logic:
Unsprung weight is a VERY BAD thing. Brakes are unsprung. Heavy brakes are a bad thing.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Thank you for the explanation.......Of course none of us on this site are competing in F1 with our cars and the slight difference in unsprung weight isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to ANY of us.

But that's beside the point......in terms of straight out cut and dry statements....yes, less unsprung weight is better.

However, EVERY car is a compromise and I'm willing to compromise the weight difference for ease of maintenance and other performance differentiators I have mentioned before.

Besides, the weight difference probably amounts to about 0.005sec a lap. As if I am consistent enough a driver to notice that.

biggrin.gif

Rob

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
and the stupid teg disks make your rear track width wider...I'm still bent about that. Stupid offset, stupid car, stupid disk brakes... haha!! Ok all better now smile.gif

toxicshit

i have the teg disks and i thinkim going to like them (car is not running ) i removed some unsprung weight and added the disks in the rear. plus i like it that the car got a wider rear track width biggrin.gif

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg

crazy87rexsi

• A big hairy american winning machine
  • PipPip
    • Drives: To much for you pal, Ferrari...lol.......B16 1G, stock as a mofo!! ;)
    Garage View Garage
huh....I figured scott would have replied within a hour.........amost 1hr 17mins......

believe me scott I do get what you are saying, I understand everything about what your saying.
which im not saying your full of it(all of which you are saying is very true)
but the brakes issue we all know where you stand on this topic
but drums brakes..........are...........so.........80's

you also have to think about who owns most of 1g/3g cars..........men, and I can tell you I am very competitive and my car has to have everything that I can possibly do to it including adding the extra weight of superior disc brakes, knowing that your car has more badass stuff then the other guy.

its like that feeling you get after some dumb kid in a eg cx w/a muffler, and some pillar guages(always have the A/F ratio guage because they need it on their stock NA honda) pulls up at the light next to you, looks at you and revs his engine. while you sit there and think should i do it just because he's an idiot or should i do it because i am a f**ing man and not going to that shit from some kid..........some you race him and burn his ahole a new one.........................you know that felling not that it is that good of a feeling because you already knew you he didn't stand a chance but close enough
(I just had to add that its happened to all of us but from a 40 roll) laugh.gif laugh.gif
Josh

-part of the exclusive side license plate club

qouted from CarNutCertifies
Sex should be like a Civic; slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear

Pics of Build

Build Thread

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crazy87rexsi @ Feb 12 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you also have to think about who owns most of 1g/3g cars..........men,

Men????

Come on, be serious. There are no "men" here, just a bunch of children (me included) playing with toys. Ill-mannered children for the most part, who stubbornly cling to their pre-conceived notions.

Back when I was chronologically young, kids took pride in being able to grasp new concepts and to not being slaves to the fashion sense of the hordes.

With very few exceptions, the kids I run into these days are too scared of not meeting the community's concept of Normal to express themselves differently.

Take a risk. Try new Ideas. Dare to be Different.

I get it. Aluminum drums do not meet the criteria your peers have set for you. Swapping in rear disks will make you just like all the other guys. I get it.

Welcome to the herd.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
I use my brakes a LOT racing. When you are going 70+ miles an hour and approaching a sharp turn at the end of the straight you need the brakes.

Mark-I have a LSD in my ice car, though not locked. Using the brakes helps to step the car out, also using the handbrake is an easy way to get the car to rotate in a hurry if you misjudge a turn.

I have built a couple of purpose built race cars that have better than stock weight distribution. They all had disc brakes. 15 minutes per side is still three times what it takes to change pads. Lastly, if you race regularly, you will most definitely burn out your pads at some point before you burn out your car.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

KSousa

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1986 integra LS
im no expert, but i do know that our cars are very light, and the gap in that 60/40 ratio substantially increases under heavy breaking. that doesnt leave much for the rear to break. also, that just makes it easier to loose you back end if you for some reason have to break while entering a turn. If our cars NEEDED rear discs, then honda would have put them there. the break system is set up to apply proper pressure in the proper front vs rear ratios, adding rear discs changes that. Its not like rear discs werent available to honda at the time, they decided that it was unnecessary. besides the aluminum drums are lighter, and dont look all that bad in a nice clean aluminum color. although, the discs are fashionable.

Edited by KSousa, 15 February 2009 - 05:05 AM.

Check out my build!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48435
custom extended fiberglass rear spoiler that wont develop rust bumps and weighs half as much as oem!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=55523
Tired of replacing/fixing your brittle plastic fenders? Wihttp://www.redpepper...showtopic=55674

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
OK.....either you are related to Scott, or Scott just made up a new login name so he had some backup.....which one is it!?

biggrin.gif

BTW, the statement you make "If our cars NEEDED rear discs, then Honda would have put them there." You assume that performance is the only consideration made when installing equipment on vehicles to market.

That is about as far from the truth as can be......the initial consideration is COST. Honda wanted to market a vehicle at a certain price point.....the drums are cheaper so they get installed.....that's how it works.

The only cars where the raw performance is the driving force are High End Supercars such as Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT, McLaren Mercedes SLR.......

MOST cars excluding the top stuff is designed to a price......engineering/preformance is secondary to COST. The accountants rule in the auto industry. Which explains why most car companies make crap product these days.....its a collection of the cheapest stuff they can assemble into the form of a car.......

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
KSousa is not me, I swear.

Those wacky accountants at Honda saddled the EDM/JDM CRX with the ZC engine and those dopey drum brakes. I am sure that is not the only item the accountants cramed down the Honda Engineers' throat. After all, Honda is known for their accountants rather than their engineers.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Dude, you have no idea how the auto industry works on the engineering side.......on the other hand, I've been there. How bout you just admit that I make a VERY valid point.

Here's another question for you then......if the Aluminum drums are so superior, and you argue that the accountants are not involved with engineering at Honda.......then why do the EDM and JDM cars have the Cast Iron drums and not the aluminum?? EVERYBODY knows the aluminum drums are the best......Even the Engineers at Honda, who incidentally, when given a less restrictive budget to build a race variant of the Civic, opted for discs?

In fact......why don't any of the vehicles Honda has produced since the CRX have the Aluminum Drums (excpet the Insight I believe)?

I'm just curious to know why such a VASTLY superior braking technology has been thrown out in favour of the villainous disc brake?

Does anyone know?

unsure.gif

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (RETROCRX @ Feb 15 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, you have no idea how the auto industry works on the engineering side.......on the other hand, I've been there. How bout you just admit that I make a VERY valid point.

You do know a lot more than I do about the auto industry and you did make a valid point. I just like to see you get all excited online. wink.gif

I do not know this for a fact, but I would guess that the engineers slipped the aluminum drums onto the USDM HF so that they would be available in the parts supply chain. No one could justify the expense of aluminum drums on EVERY Civic/CRX, but (and this is just a guess) they could charge them off to the HF model to get the benefit of light weight for the gas-sipper model and allow the competition folks a chance to get some lighter brakes.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Honda made the aluminum drums for 1 purpose.. To reduce mass in the HF for better MPG's and more efficient power to weight ratio... That's why the lightweight bumper reinforcements, the SUPER light aluminum HF wheels, the aluminum drums etc.

The only possible benefit of the aluminum drums that can be proven now is WEIGHT. I doubt the perform any better maybe they perform worse? I don't know.

Discs actually provide better braking & easier changeouts.

My race friend "the undefeatd asian stig" said he opted for drums due to the integra units offering TOO much braking force in that particular cars duty, so to him they were TOO good for his application as track tested.

In a straight line braking test, ease of changing, or on a track in which high speed corner entering are needed DISCS would be far superior.. In a low HP car used in a short course, lower speed event or even on a basic street car I'm sure drums would be just fine.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Fun fact: drum breaks take far less force to apply due to their self energizing design. So, in theory, drum breaks can deliver more stopping force.

Now for the other factor. It still remains that either setup has more than enough breaking force to lock ANY tire available on the market (for street use at least). Consideration is now swayed to control so that you can stop the car at the locking point but not go beyond it.

The less force it takes to apply the breaks, the less control you have. It's that simple. It's why people chose to remove break assist in racing applications.

(I won't get into cooling, we all know disks are easier to cool)

Basic point I'm making, is that in pure stopping power drum brakes are best. It's pretty much everything else that makes them better for racing.