Single Weber Carb

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 92'civic hatch d15b+86'crx carbed
I want to know if anyone has tried the single weber carb on a stock d15a2.I seen one at weber for like 359.00 or so.Also can i plug in a 84-87 si ecu to my dx without damaging my engine,and does it even help? biggrin.gif

CRXdan

Also can i plug in a 84-87 si ecu to my dx without damaging my engine,and does it even help? 
The DX is carbed. Go ahead and plug in the ECU, if you can find the harness lol

I want to know if anyone has tried the single weber carb on a stock d15a2.

Sdubfid had one on his wagon and with proper tuning it would have really made a diference in his car. HEs sellign his now though, I think the only thing you would need to make it complete are smoe smaller jets as the ones he has are too big.
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
[quote=CRXdan,Nov 17 2003, 08:27 PM][/quote]

The DX is carbed. Go ahead and plug in the ECU, if you can find the harness lol[/quote]
Are u saying the ecu wont work?And is the si harness hard to get are something? huh.gif

CRXdan

teh dx is carbed dood it has no wriring harness.
The Si model is fuel injected and uses a ECU. DX uses no ECU.
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
i have to ask why would you want to plug an ecu or si wiring harness into your
carbed stock motor. first it will not work, considering that a carb is ment to run mechanicaly and works with other mechanical systems that tell it to change it's idle and what not... no ecu is needed... if you put an si wiring harness into the car then it will not work. period. it's obsurd.

maybe you want to know if you can covert to fuel injection.. is that it? then you will need an si head and intakemanifold all the si fuel lines, fuel pump tank and fuel pick up, ecu wiring harness si distributer.

you cant' just get an ecu and think it will plug in... there is no plug for it on a dx. you could screw it to the floor those screw holes will be there but no wires.

chris
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ohmy.gif i guess im sticking to carbed dx!

CRXdan

tongue.gif
if you put an si wiring harness into the car then it will not work. period. it's obsurd

remeber, we were all newbies at one time biggrin.gif
go easy on him lol
btw, any bigger pics of the bodykit on the crx? ur not ricing out the 1st gen r u? hope not
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

Dreiseratops

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX
I'd actually like to know if anyone has gotten decent performance with a carbed CRX and if so what else they had to do.
I just love to hear about an all new approach.

rolleyes.gif what do u think about splitting up headers to 2 and 2 to 1 and 1 so it looks like you got dual? hey you might even get that rumby low compression sound that trucks make. Eh? Eh? happy.gif

86crxjay

• Daily Driver
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '12 Cruze LS 6sp, '14 Impala Limited
You said that Carb'ed cars don't use ECU's?

My '86 HF has an ECU. I'm really puzzled now.

07-02.jpg    DSCN4082.jpg

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
The carb'd cars have a 'quasi' ECU. It basically operates a couple of vacuum control valves on the intake in response to the O2 sensor for emissions controls. But it doesn't 'control' anything on the engine. You could in theory disconnect everything and the car will still run.

Edited by Greg Gauper, 18 November 2003 - 11:28 PM.

2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
hmmm...carbed ecu is just for emissions? so your saying i can unplug my ecu and rip out all that emissions crap,i hear that adds power..i think unsure.gif

CRXdan

I'd actually like to know if anyone has gotten decent performance with a carbed CRX and if so what else they had to do.
I just love to hear about an all new approach.

Header, Weber 32/36 Downdraft, CRX Si head shaved for 9:1 compression, free flowing 2" exhaust.
That shoudl be pretty quick...
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
QUOTE (d15vtec @ Nov 19 2003, 12:25 AM)
hmmm...carbed ecu is just for emissions? so your saying i can unplug my ecu and rip out all that emissions crap,i hear that adds power..i think unsure.gif

It probably won't add as much power as you think.

On the racecar it was done primarily to remove weight (got rid of all those vacuum boxes, miles of hose, etc).

The side benefit was to make the racecar easier to work on (i.e. no vacuum boxes or miles of hose in the way, choke plates/linkage removed, carb coolant line blocked, etc) and it cleans up the engine bay.

It can make the car very difficult to start in cool/cold weather, with poor drivability until the car warms up. This isn't an issue when racing in the summer (although there were a few cold/wet races last spring in which I had a bear of a time getting the car to run until it warmed up, especially with cold race plugs).

Edited by Greg Gauper, 20 November 2003 - 04:13 PM.

2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

4dr

• SOHC Honda Cowboy!
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1989 crx Si, 1994 civic Dixxer 4dr, 1986 dixxer CRX(RIP)
    • Image Gallery
The side benefit was to make the racecar easier to work on (i.e. no vacuum boxes or miles of hose in the way, choke plates/linkage removed, carb coolant line blocked, etc) and it cleans up the engine bay.

damn so i can throw out that whole clutterd box and its hoses?????
will it still idle once warmed?

im in cali so it nvr gets TOO cold. nvr less than 50 degrees were im at.
i hate that hose box thing with a passion....(sorry to date i have been a EFI guy...this is my first carbed car)

i used to wanna gag over the thought of ppl putting carbs on hondas, now i find myself lookin on ebay for side drafts...

i can thank you guys for that i guess.

Edited by 4drhseriesEGII, 20 November 2003 - 08:20 PM.

Gasoline Fumes

I pulled all of the vacuum crap out of my Wagon. It was driveable in winter, it just wouldn't idle without my foot on the gas until it warmed up. No choke or fast idle.