Ebay Camgear

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

1985crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 honda crx Si
yall are going to have to send me an email if you want to see the pics i have of my engine and cam gear. it wont let me post any pics on here since they are to big or something.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ok, you asked. OBX:

"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
If you are good about checking your cam gear bolts, then of course it's not going to be a problem. Many don't though (including myself, unless it's a racecar right Kirk?)

Anyway, you asked for it, here's what I run. Two of a kind...

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
No fair, you made those yourself! Pimpin' your machining skillz, why I outta....

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
nice gears, wanna make another set?

Guest_-TJ_*

Thanks guys. I didn't actually make the gears on my antiquated home shop equipment (my mill is a hand operated 1974 Powermatic Millrite, my lathe is a 1940's Southbend 10" "Model A"). I did design the gears though, and the machine shop I use for work made them on their Fadal CNC machining center.

I worked out a deal for them to make a set for me, but actual cost for them to make another set (machine shop pricing, qty = 2) is $400. Not exactly a bargain for you. However, the price drops significantly with a higher quantity. For instance, qty = 20 cuts the price in half.

I'd have some made, but I won't commit unless I've got all serious buyers lined up with money in hand. In addition, we'd need to make a collection of OE gears (not the gold zinc plated ones either).

Almost a year ago I had the machine shop turn out a batch of B-series / ZC cam gears. I'm still trying to sell the few sets (at a $25 loss).

I learned that if you aren't a big name, people are very skeptical of your work. Understandable, of course. I'm not a business though and I'd like to keep it that way. The Honda's are just a hobby, the Honda's are just a hobby.... repeat.

However, here's another something that I did do with my mill, it's a D16A1 flywheel with 4lbs removed from the back (outermost area):

I also made the extra tensioner bracket on gtpilot's hybrid DOHC/EW...

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
the OBX units look like a quality product.

However i dont see an application listed for either the 1.5L or the 1.6L
Tom, which gear are you using? and does anyone know if any of the other gears can be used on the D16A1?

TJ- would you be interested in gettin a set made if I can line up 20 real buyers?
also, you wanna lighten my flywheel? if so, how much?

Ive got 2 flywheels, one thats in the car is an 86-87, the other is an 88-89. Is there any difference between the two? cause i was gonna have the 88-89 lightened since its out of the car, and then put it in the 86-87 with my new clutch.

Dan-O

D16a1 and 1.5 Si cam gears are the same. I bough a set for my D16a1 and one extra for my D15. The OEM JDM ZC cam gears are smaller but it was an easy install to just get a set of D16a1 gears and buy the remaining timing components for a D16a1 at the Acura parts counter where I work.

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (funkmaster @ Nov 18 2003, 02:55 PM)
However i dont see an application listed for either the 1.5L or the 1.6L
Tom, which gear are you using? and does anyone know if any of the other gears can be used on the D16A1?

Not sure. I'll check the part number when I get a chance.

Guest_-TJ_*

Dan-O
So, you put D16A1 timing gears on your ZC? How did the Integra belt length work out with the ZC waterpump? I assume everything fit ok?

I was thinking of converting my D16A1 to ZC timing components a while ago...gtpilot still is.

funkmaster
I'd be happy to have a cam gear run made if there are real buyers. The machine shop I use is currently running about 3weeks out for finished parts. That would provide ample time to have everyone send OE cam gears AND money. I can have them quote the job if you think there are enough interested people. Are you talking 20 DOHC, or SOHC, or maybe a blend?

As for your flywheel, by the time you factor shipping x2 my cost and balancing, I think you could have it done locally for the same or less. I'd be happy to do it though - $60 + shipping. Just for reference, my balancing guy charges $45 for a flywheel, clutch, & PP.

Dan-O

All timing components from a 1989 D16a1 out of an integra were used. I let my buddy borrow the crank pulley and the belt and he installed them on his ZC to check valve to piston clearance with his Web Cams. He was checking clearance before he sent his head out to be cut down 0.040 or so. I was not involved with the process, but he didn't say anything to the contrary about belt length. Matter of fact, I believe he ordered a new 'teg cam belt too. I will double check with him tomorrow to be sure.

Edited by Dan-O, 20 November 2003 - 08:24 PM.

Dan-O

OK, I asked my buddy today...

I did remember correctly. D16A1 cam gerars and crank gear. Stock ZC idler/tensioner with a D16A1 Cam belt. He said it lined up perfectly.
You will need to go to the dealer and order a set of key inserts for the cam gears. Factory cam gears have the keyway built in, the aftermarket ones don't.

Guest_-TJ_*

Dan-O:
Is your friends ZC a 1G (brown top)? Does it use the 34T/17T timing belt gears, or does it use 40T/20T like the integra?

For anyone else following this for whatever reason...
the 86-87 D16A1 uses the cast, spoke type gears where the 88-89 uses the stamped steel, zinc plated units with the built-in key. They are timed the same and are interchangeable.

Dan-O

It's a real JDM ZC not a US D16A1. (even the block is stamped ZC)
The cam gears are smaller than a D16A1.
The motor is going into a '91 Civic.

Guest_-TJ_*

If he's still got the ZC 17T crank timing gear is it for sale?