Overheating In Your Opinion?

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

MadMax

• pepper-ed
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: pirate,ship
Where at on your temp gauge do you decide your car is overheating? My 85 Si gets close to the red sometimes after a long drive and then stop and go traffic.

Heres a pic of where it was at.

Rollin 1G style.. reppin those old school Honda's user posted image

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
thats deffinaly overheating IMO, id turn my car off imediatly if i ever noticed my gauge that high

once mines warmed up, it stays right in the middle, hottest days, stop and go traffic, always in the middle, im im on the highway or going more than about 55-60mph it will drop down to about 1/4 and stay there till i slow down

edit: idk if it makes a differnce but i only have 1 fan, and no condensor, so i might be getting more air flow than some of you
Posted Image

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
Easiest way to tell if you really need proof would be to put in a colder thermostat & see if it goes down. If it doesn't you know your temp is no longer being controled by the t-stat.

I'd say that's overheating too though. My radiator was going & I had the same symptoms, it would warm up, stabilise at the thermostat's set temp for a while (as the rest of the water in the system heated up) then start climbing.
For me it was worse on the highway than in town & I drove around with the heater on alot to stop it from overheating.

BTW - your idle looks a bit high... tongue.gif

autoxcrx

• <-- Never has time to work on his car anymore :(
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 84 Civic Hatch (soon to be Si)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My 85 Si does the same thing, gets hot in stop and go traffic. I know its not the Radiator or thermostat (they were both replaced about a month ago). The only part of the cooling system that has not been replaced is the water pump(it is getting replaced soon).

I believe that my problem is the "radiator" for the A/C system is clogged with stuff. I am going to clean it out soon and see if it makes a difference.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
is your fan working properly?

this is a fairly common cause of this problem!
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

MadMax

• pepper-ed
  • PipPip
    • Drives: pirate,ship
Yes the fan is working, it just doesn't come on until the temp is at half ways. It seems like its too late. I was doing 20mph in 3rd gear tongue.gif during pic, its not very often when it gets like this. The fans on my crx are so weak, the main one puts maybe 350CFM and the condensor one maybe 250CFM. When I am cruising on the highway it never gets hot or even close to hot.. highest it will get is half ways. Looking to upgrade to two FAL fans 12'' pusher style on the front, it will help block the radiator until the car is warm. And with 1200CFM it should help in traffic, but we will see. The previous owner flushed coolant every 30,000 miles (since brand new) and it looks really clean without alot of corrosion build up.
Rollin 1G style.. reppin those old school Honda's user posted image

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
So it doesn't happen on the highway, only at low speeds?
IIRC that is generally a sign of a bad water pump due to a corroded impeller but given the fact that you said the coolant was changed religiously that might not be the case...

The fan coming on at halfway up the guage is normal, as that's where the temp guage usually rests. Thing is the fan isn't going to fix a bad cooling system - at best it will only be a band-aid.

The stock fans work fine for the rest of us & there are members in hot areas like you.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
make sure you r orginal fan is comming on my car often spikes... its eff texas

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
bring it over to my house, we'll pull out the t-stat, you dont need it in houston!!!!
AND/OR hardwire the fan to stay on all the time. I'd suggest to do that first and see how it works.
-zak

PS lemme get some parts!!! dont give ur parts car to some deuche! lol
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Check your radiator cap, make sure the seal is still good or replace it with a cap that has a higher PSI rating.

My D16A1 hovers at about the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge.

Edited by lxndr, 13 July 2006 - 03:26 AM.

OXYGEN

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: CRX EW3
My car have similar problem. Only it doesn't go such high - only about 3/4 on the gauge.
But the problem is that it never happens when driving normally, even i big traffic.
It happens only if i make 2-3 burnout starts (like traffic lights drags or sth. like this) and if I drive with higher speed than 80-85 mph.
This is the most amazing thing to me - according to all physical and logical things the temp. should be low because of the big air flow to the radiator....But no, as the speed exceeds 80 and the gauge goes from 1/2 to 3/4 and sometimes a little bit higher (but never like in the above picture) sad.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

hawk86

• ah rice is good.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 nissan 300 ZX, 85 crx hf, bagged 94 s-10
    • Image Gallery
check to see if the block has coolent in it
http://www.redpepper...showtopic=27167

NO kittie thats my pot pie! NO kittie......Mom kitties bein a dildo.......well i know a certain kittie thats sleepin with mommy tonight..

OXYGEN

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: CRX EW3
Sorry for the stupid question, but how to check the block?
I see that there is coolant in the rad. and in the overflow.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
by running the engine and opening up the purge valve(s)
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Hondas do not run hot by nature....

Check to make sure your engine is not running too lean, that can cause over heating.

If coolant is flowing and the fan is running and the mixture is correct, maybe your temp sensor in the head has gone bad... but I doubt it.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function