Car Jumpy In 1st Gear Bad...motor Mounts?

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
Seems like I'm all sorts of busy here lately so here's another question for the masses. The car wants to jump and buck if I so even blip the throttle at al, it's almost impossible to get back to smooth driving without clutching it. Does this sound like worn out motor mouts. If not, any ideas. I'm going to be installing a 6 puck sprung and a lot of motor work, so I figure I should get that situated first.

Thanks all...

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
sounds like it, pick up a couple tubes window weld and take care of it when you're doing the other work
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (zakats @ Feb 6 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like it, pick up a couple tubes window weld and take care of it when you're doing the other work

You talking 3M window weld fast urethane...That was my next question...so no need to ask now??

Thanks

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
well i dont think i have enought info to say is the engine running rough or does it sounds like its baning and clunking in the engine bay

bad engine mounts usually means alot of vibration in the whole car

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
No the engine is fine and it doesn't do it all the time it will only do it if the engine is at the correct RPM to allow the drivetrain to be right at freewheel, right at the edge of throttle and none while rolling. It's like there is slop in the drivetrain and it bucks back and forth. It's kind of hard to explain obviously.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
go to a good local parts store, they'll know what you're talking about you're looking for ~60-80 shore A polyurethane

grab your exhaust manifold (obviously not when it's hot!) and try to rock the engine... if you can wiggle the engine easily or to the extent that it seems like it will wiggle around substantially before hitting significantly more resistance, your motor mounts are shot... look around at your mounts see if they are flexed/cracked/ect you can usually tell by looking at the mounts themselves

like ghost said, if they're really bad you can hear banging/clacking in the engine bay. Hold onto your shifter when taking off from a stop sign, if you can feel the shifter move around more than what seems normal or the same for when in first or second gear letting off the gas at 4krpm... well you know
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
bad motor mounts is mostly an all the time deal

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
i have always had a slight issue here and my motor mounts are damn near solid. im sure the problem can be elsewhere as well.
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

otterrs

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 96 Firebird Formula
    Garage View Garage
so basically it jumps right as the car starts to move in first gear? i had the same problem, its a warped pressure plate... you would think it would do it in all the gears, but i had the same thing, it was only really noticeable in first gear. I replaced mine (i put a new clutch in too, just to be safe) that cleared all my problems (motor mounts were rock solid btw)

*sorry to post sop late but i figred if anyone else had this problem, i'd help em out a bit...
85 CRX Si
96 Firebird Formula

poweredbyhonda22

• silly ricers usless wings are for peguins
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1990 ZC EF, 1984 Trans Am
    • Image Gallery
not to threadjack but how much should your shifter move under heavy acelleration mine moves a fair bit i was just wondering if my engine mounts are near there end as well??