Weber 32/36 Onto A Cdn (edit: Now Usdm Cvcc Intake)

• You cannot reply to this topic
45 replies to this topic

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Ive went through alot of the information and found alot of conflicting points made about mounting the weber to our cars. I know for a fact that the adapter plate is a direct bolt on for you USDM guys and it utilizes the fourth cvcc valve to increase performance.

This sucks balls for me, because it doesnt mount up to my cdn ntake. So from here, i guess im going to be building a custom adapter plate unless someone can tell me something different. As far as making the plate, its going to be kind of a issue concidering i dont have a milling machine as of yet. So to get the surfaces flat enough to accept a gasket will be troubling. I do have the adapter for the USDM carb, now what im hoping to god, is that i can just drill some holes where the cdn intake manifold bolts are and mount it up. Cross your fingers.

Questions:

The user had it mounted directly to a 1.3 hf with no modifications to the carb, so im guessing that it prolly ran rich. The information that ive found says two different things:

No modification is needed for mounting it to a 1.5.
You need to modify the jets for mounting it to a 1.5.

Which one is it?

So from here, what im going to do, is go ahead and start by saying that any help with the small project is much appretiated.

Is there anyone on the site that has used the CDN intake manifold?
What modifications are needed to mount the orriginal throttle cable onto the weber?
How would i go about mounting the manual choke cable to the weber?
Does the throttle need a good return spring? Where to and what size?

Im quite familiar with tuning carbs, Edlebrock carbs that is. (which are made by weber) so i cant see it being that difficult. Im just hopping this wont be too much of an issue. Hope this thread eventually ends up a good how-to on this stuff.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Mark L

The CVCC valves do not add performance! It was for emissions.

I have fooled around with 32/26 webers since 83 when I had one mounted to my 68 VW Squareback. In fact, it is a good possibility the weber on my Civic is the same one I had in 1983! I have rebuilt it several times and replaced the bushings, ETC.

My current setup is an US SI 12 valve engine with a CDN intake manifold, a custom adapter and a 32/36. I do not think there is enough material on the CDN manifold to mount the carb directly.

I would take the top off the carb and jot down the jet sizes before mounting. Then once you get it running you have a baseline.

I bent up the stock throttle cable bracket.

You need a throttle return spring!

I still have a adapter plate which was never drilled for the carb. Maybe you could use that. This one is milled for a CVCC port which you will not need.

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Sorry my bad for confusing you.

The CVCC head with the weber has a performance gain because the extra valve is seeing a normal mixture, acting more or less like a small extra valve.

I dont think theres enough material to mount it directly either, what im refering to is the adapter plate for the CVCC manifold, might be able to be modified to mount onto the cdn intake. But from the pictures i do see that the adapter has a channel cut into it for the CVCC barrel, so maybe not. If all else fails, i can plasma cut out a new adapter plate, then from there, throw it in my lathe and machine the faces down to make a mounting surface for the carb and intake gasket. I know its a lame way of doing it, but again, i dont have a milling machine.

You bent up the stock throttle cable bracket meaing?

Some carbs i have seen have a spring integrated into the linkage, i know now that i need one to supply the proper force to return it to position, thanks.

Your adapter plate was not drilled for the carb? or was it not drilled for the intake? or is it drilled for the cdn intkake? Please clarify.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Here's a question for you... You have a CVCC head, and a CDM manifold, and now a weber with an adaptor plate for the CVCC manifold... Why not source a CVCC manifold from below the 49th? I'm sure you could find one reasonably priced.

Then you will have "functioning" CVCC ports, and won't have to deal with modifying the adaptor plate...

Just a thought. wink.gif

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Well what I really need is for someone to trade me straight across, my cdn carbset up for a usdm maniofld.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Post a thread, there could be someone interested in a trade like that.

monkeey

• Banana Powered Monkey
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2007 Honda Fit Sport, 1987 Honda Civic Wagon RT4WD
    • Image Gallery
finally !!! maybe i can give back some ....

so i want to do the same thing, si or cdm head with cdm intake and a weber, with the idea that having an intake that flows better with a better flowing head should be better , right ?

well im still in the process of getting the weber working with the usdm head/manny but here are some pics that might help that i was saving for my build thread when i got it running....

cdm intake ( thanks 3gencivic ) next to an 86 usdm intake manifold ( i have this extra one if you wanna work out a trade or something)

the usdm manifold with the weber adapter plate on it

and my modified stock throttle cam on the weber ( basically had to dremel out the throttle shaft hole as the weber one is bigger then the stock one )

i can take any more pictures you might need just let me know , but from looking at the cdm manifold , it looks as all youll need would be an adapter plate from the weber to the manifold

there is a spring on the weber , and in the kit (k726) there is an extra spring to add on, but from what ive read its better to get a heavier duty spring from the hardware store.

and the k726 is supposed to be interchangeable between the 1.3 and 1.5 according to weber with it running a little richer on the 1.3 or something

hope that helps

Edited by monkeey, 23 February 2011 - 07:11 PM.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Tons of help!!

Looking from the pictures, the adapter plate for the USDM manifold is huge in comparison to the Stock Cdn intake mounting face. From this i can gather that with the USDM adapter plate that il recieve with the carb, i will be able to just drill new mounting holes into adapter plate.

If it doesnt work, then il just have to get a usdm intake.

monkeey

• Banana Powered Monkey
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

yea it looks like you could just drill holes for the cdm intake and then grind off the excess material on the usdm adapter plate

well if you end up needing the usdm intake let me know, its just sitting there ....

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Chedda, if you make a custom flange, make one for me. I ran into the same problem.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I could have mad a custom flange...but i went ahead and got a usdm manifold. I posted pictures in my other thread but i wanted to repost it here to show my progess with weber and intake.

As you can see below I went ahead and did a cleaning of the stock manifold. This involved a set of buffing pads on my die grinder and lots of cleaners.

I port matched the intake manifold to the head using the new gasket as a guide. Let me say something, the cvcc ports are uber tiny, and the ones in the head are huge, i dont know how those things did anything at all through a 3/16 hole. I port matched the intake using a die grinder with a taperd carbide burr, then a taperd 120 gritt grinding stone, then a 80 gritt sanding wheel and then to a 120 gritt sanding wheel. I got all of the metal shavings and particles out with a solvent based cleaner and compressed air.

After port matching, I went on to make a block off plate for the egr/after burner valve and an aluminum bung that i pressed into the intake manifold where something else once mounted. To seal off the ports, I used silicone red rtva along with new locknuts and washers for the egr plate. (8mm corse btw, same as the intake studs)

I then taped off all bungs and mating faces with painters tape; knife edged along all the areas to remove all excess tape.

I gave the intake three coats of high temp engine paint from plasti-coat. The color is cast iron grey. Like typical paint jobs, while its still sticky i removed all the tape. As soon as it dried I inserted the three brass bungs needed to plug the back of the intake plenum.

Let me say something, the usdm intake is one ugly piece of cast aluminum, even with allot of paint it doesnt look nearly as good as the cdn one haha, but i had to use the usdm manifold to utilize the CVCC ports.

So here it is, so far, need to mount the carb, and get it on the car.

Unported CVCC port and Intake Port

Ported and polished

Machined Blocking Insert

Cleaned, painted, and Installed

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Nice work.

And you're right, those manifolds are pretty.... utilitarian.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Help. Picture below. There are three arrows. Each one pointing to something different.

The futhest to the right being the inlet, i plan mount my gauge there, not permently but just to measure the fuel and then take it off after i dial my FPR in .

One points to a hole, what is this? Is there no reuturn on a weber? Do you get rid of the charcoal canister?

One points to the carb vaccum port, that goes to the dizzy correct?

As far from what i read. The only vac line you leave hooked up is the dizzy correct?

monkeey

• Banana Powered Monkey
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (chedda_j @ Mar 12 2011, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Help. Picture below. There are three arrows. Each one pointing to something different.

The futhest to the right being the inlet, i plan mount my gauge there, not permently but just to measure the fuel and then take it off after i dial my FPR in .

One points to a hole, what is this? Is there no reuturn on a weber? Do you get rid of the charcoal canister?

One points to the carb vaccum port, that goes to the dizzy correct?

As far from what i read. The only vac line you leave hooked up is the dizzy correct?

the vac line goes to the bottom port on the dizzy, the brass plug to the left of the vac port is for egr vac

A. float vent ( i didnt keep the charcoal canister ) mine came plugged with plastic

B. this should just be another place to tap into the fuel line if running more then one carb

i have a book on weber carbs that has a lot of info i can try to scan , it has a good 20 pages on the 32/36

Edited by monkeey, 12 March 2011 - 03:10 AM.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Kewl, wouldnt plugging the float vent mess with the carb? I thought they were ment to vent for a reason.

Theres gotta be an online manual for the 32/36 no?