Concours Restoration: 1987 Crx 1st Gen 25,662 Miles

• You cannot reply to this topic
193 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
This is a 1987 first generation Honda Civic CRX si Concours / Concourse restoration. 13 years of procurements and another three years until completion. Not wrenching yet. Need to convert my barn to conditioned storage, obtain a few more parts and tear down 3 donor cars. So it'll take time.

Formatting in Power Point for the "Concours Restoration Book". I'd better do it along the way so I get the correct data and documentation for future shows/owner. And get comments from you guys so I can put the best data together as possible.

First batch is what I put together for mileage validation. The car has sat in storage since 1996. Driven very little. Only registered 3 years out of 13. I've driven 4 other cars over the past 15 years averaging 14K/year. Have my insurance cards and carfaxes on all those to prove ownership and use. This just helps to confirm the car was not needed. I had CRX#1 aka "the beater" to get my "CRX fix".

W/ only driving less than 1000 miles, I haven't had a need to take it in for service. Done all oil changes myself and maintenance - why add the extra mileage. Have a handful of reciept from previous owner. And have some State inspections here in TX. By the way, the car was tranported via car carrier from NY to TX as part of my relo package.

Got a hold of some suddo car collectors and they seem to believe the car faxes hold pretty good validity. But authentic service receipts are very, very strong support. If I would have known, I would have taken it in every 3rd or 4th year.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
I've organized all my parts per grouping category on Majestic's website. So I figure for the restro book, I'll set up each image, take pixs of the new parts, and consider the balance to be used as is, or refurbished.

This group is missing the valve stems, wheel locks, spare tire label and spare tire stay. Those are in another box burried somewhere.

I'll see about taking the rims to a paint shop and get a spectrometer to match the paint code exactly for others when they refurbish thiers.

Keepin' it OEM

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 Honda CRV , 08 Honda Fit Sport , 86 CRX Si
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 9 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've organized all my parts per grouping category on Majestic's website. So I figure for the restro book, I'll set up each image, take pixs of the new parts, and consider the balance to be used as is, or refurbished.

This group is missing the valve stems, wheel locks, spare tire label and spare tire stay. Those are in another box burried somewhere.

I'll see about taking the rims to a paint shop and get a spectrometer to match the paint code exactly for others when they refurbish thiers.

That's amazing that the OEM parts are still avalable! That's going to be a real nice CRX when it's done. Keep us updated.

Jay V.

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
A Long Island car? Whodathunk lol

Elliot
Posted Image

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Jayscrx @ Nov 10 2009, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's amazing that the OEM parts are still avalable! That's going to be a real nice CRX when it's done. Keep us updated.

Jay V.

Nah, not available. He was just smart enough to snag them up when they were.. Good job.. keep us posted.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
E man, where abouts are you? I landed in Freeport working of Newsday, then moved out to Babylon Village for the majority of the time. At the plant, we'd pull the classifieds off the press before we went home (Usually printed them around lunch the day before at the melville plant) to "be the first caller" on what we wanted. So I was the first to call the guy the next Day in Islip. He let it sit all day long at the southern rail station (its been so long, i forget the name of the southern line now). So it got pretty faded being red.

Interesting, I pulled a car fax 4 years after I bought it. When I looked it over, I had no idea about an accident. It didn't show up on carfax back them. To this day, I can't tell. BUt I never pulled off the front bumper. I assume it got a new hood and header. There weren't any labels on the hood and the suction a/c hose behind the header had a hole in it, so the a/c didn't work. All the body lines matched perfectly and had it aligned that first year and no problems. So I think it was minor and Honda must have done the repair (at least honda parts used). When i pulled this carfax the other month, the accident showed up. So, that explains a lot of history to me on the "little odd things" like the a/c hose. I'll document this closely during the teardown.

Oh, I thougth I paid $2K. But my notes were for $2800 and I got it for $2500. So the lack of a/c, a squeaky throwout bearing and the accident (unknown to me at the time) were why it was so cheap.

IT'll be important for me to document and understand the history of the car.

I got the rims back in 2002?? But it was all dumb luck. Had extra money, so I'd buy more parts. Einey, meiney miney mo.... wish I could say I was smart. I always thought my beater would die and i'd switch over to the this one, but she kept going, and going...
Keepin' it OEM

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 10 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
E man, where abouts are you? I landed in Freeport working of Newsday, then moved out to Babylon Village for the majority of the time. At the plant, we'd pull the classifieds off the press before we went home (Usually printed them around lunch the day before at the melville plant) to "be the first caller" on what we wanted. So I was the first to call the guy the next Day in Islip.

He let it sit all day long at the southern rail station (its been so long, i forget the name of the southern line now). So it got pretty faded being red.

I live in Franklin Square which is in western Nassau County (basically the second town east of the NYC limits). Looks like the car was parked by the Babylon line which runs along Sunrise Highway (NY 27).

Subscribing to thread.

Best,

Elliot
Posted Image

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Still no wrenching, just paper pushing, some hammering and nails. But this is how parts for the restoration have been stored.

EMan, did you ever hear of a bar called Barkers just East of the station? I lived w/in earshot of the tracks.

Keepin' it OEM

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 Honda CRV , 08 Honda Fit Sport , 86 CRX Si
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 20 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still no wrenching, just paper pushing, some hammering and nails. But this is how parts for the restoration have been stored.

EMan, did you ever hear of a bar called Barkers just East of the station? I lived w/in earshot of the tracks.

This build is out of control! I thought that I was the only one so anal about my car. I give you lots of credit for what you are doing. Thanks for the great pics, keep em coming. My dad bought the same 87 CRX Si in red when I was in Jr High. I think he paid $10,500 for it. I learned alot about performance driving in this car, alot of good memeries.

Jay V.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Hell, if your dad would have put that car in storage, he'd have made off better than the stock market in today's dollars when he'd sell it.

Well, its alot easier to just sit back and buy. I've been dreading the commitment to actually put all the pieces together in this puzzle. Always have the excuse that I need more parts. I still do need more and will be pleading w/ the rpr community to help me out and open up the coffers of parts. But starting this post, now puts me to some sort of timeline to get it going. I don't have a goal to completion. I guess before i die is the goal. It'll go to a museum when I can no longer sustain it.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Still pushin' paper....

If anyone has the parts catalog/list from Honda for this model on cd or file, I'd love to get it. I've heard some have old versions on microfiche, but hoping to find something more user friendly.

Thnx for your help

D
Keepin' it OEM

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
WOW!.. I thought my gay binder full of maintenance records was cool. That is a whole lot of paperwork.

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
[quote name='greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's' date='Nov 20 2009, 09:33 PM' post='469965']

Can't recall if I've been there
Posted Image

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Im impressed.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This is getting to the end of paper pushing. But here's some more

Got these on Ebay a while back. Came out of a dealer in Florida I think.

I've not seen this stuff since. I hope there are more materials like this that have survived the dumpster.

Anyone else know any background on this stuff, please share. More history for ours cars. Great for all of us to know.

D
Keepin' it OEM