• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
QUOTE (Giltaran @ Mar 5 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice up conversion - how does the disk setup compare to the rim clinchers?

-Gil

Thanks. There's no comparison. There's no pulsating when braking because rims come out of true much easier than rotors do. The braking power is much more overall with discs. They rub less when not engaged and stay drier than rims. Plus, the disc brake wheels are lighter because the rim brakes require extra thickness of the metal.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Here we go.. YZF600R or AKA Yamaha Thundercat to all you Canadians or overseas people.. I took the dorky reflectors off, added a undertail, carbon yoke cover/tank pad...

wilq

• where am I and how did I get in this handbasket?
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx si b18a1 turbo(under restoration),87 crx hf dohc turbo,86 crx dx dohc,91 integra ls,76 Ford F350 4x4,04 Subaru WRX STI
    • Image Gallery
my 2000 yamaha yzf600r

my winter bike 97 arctic cat powder extreme 600 triple

old crxs never die they just get faster
The offical Chrisfdude ebay sniper club member &Team BUrnOUt member #2

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, EW4, Stock as I can make her.
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Mar 5 2008, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. There's no comparison. There's no pulsating when braking because rims come out of true much easier than rotors do. The braking power is much more overall with discs. They rub less when not engaged and stay drier than rims. Plus, the disc brake wheels are lighter because the rim brakes require extra thickness of the metal.

Nice. For people unable/unwilling to build and true their own wheels, or for folks looking to save grams (I still don't buy that) it sounds like a great option.

Got my order from wheelbuilder.com today - man they were fast! Sapim Strong 2.3/2.0 spokes for the Sturmey-Archer hub, stainless steel, cut to order, and just beautiful. Love those guys, they even send you a business card in case you want to contact them in the future:

Richard Sawiris
rich (at) wheelbuilder.com
626-442-4444
626-442-4442 FAX

11622 McBean Drive
El Monte, CA 91732

If you have the need and the means, I highly recommend these people - great service.

-Gil

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
I had Two Motorcycles when I was younger, but don't have one now.
But I do still have my Class M Motorcycle License.

I had a 1973 Yamaha RD350, the ultimate Giggles Bike.
350 cc two Stroke Wheelie Machine. Great handling bike!

Also had a Norton 850 Combat Commando.
Damn I miss the Norton.

Now I am a Mountain Biker.

So Now I have:

GT Zaskar - My original MTB. Heavy Duty Aluminum frame. Retired to street and wind trainer use only. Bent the rear derailleur hanger too many times. Mostly Shimano LX components with a steel fork.

Bridgestone MB-3 - Great Steel Bike. Cromoly tubing with Cast Lugs at the intersections. Brazed and soldered, not welded. This is a great bike with a little 'spring' in the rear. Mostly Shimano XT and XTR components. About 24.5 pounds.

Jamis Dakar - Dual Suspension Single Track Bike. Basically took all the stuff from my Zaskar and put it on the Dakar. Mostly Shimano XTR components. About 24.5 pounds.

I got to wash them up and take Pics.

MK

Edited by Madkore, 24 April 2008 - 06:02 PM.

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, EW4, Stock as I can make her.
Forgot about this thread! Thanks for resurrecting it.

Almost finished with that early 70s schwinn resto:

Mostly just touch-up stuff left to do.

psychoboy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: whatever is currently running
    • Image Gallery
when the weather is nice, i roll my '03 750ACE, or i'll break out one of the Metros to keep up with the wife on hers (we hang out with a local scooter club, the Dixon Giners, and they'd rather talk to each other than yell over my pipes....)

my ACE is all stock (except for the parts I scratched up laying it down at 60), but it'll end up with the C2 21" front wheel and a custom 18" rear wheel with a 210 or so tire soon.

I'm trying to figure out how to cram a Helix 250 into a Metro body, cuz the 50cc metro just isn't fast enough for me.

Edited by psychoboy, 25 April 2008 - 12:13 PM.

Your inability to understand my position in no way invalidates the veracity of my opinion