Weird Noise Comming From Air Intake

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si, 1985 honda civic (the beater), 1987 civic si (converted), 1988 toyota markII
    • Image Gallery
if you watch this clip:

right click, save as (3mb avi encoded with xvid)

you will hear the weird noise that comes from my air intake once the car is warm and the idle is at 700-800 rpm, its done this ever since i bought it and im just wondering if any of you might now what it is or what causes it, cause i have no idea. the engine is a jdm zc if you didnt already know.

also when the car is warming up the idle stays high for way too long and sometimes it does the old rev bounce and today the revs came down for about 10 secs while idleing and then shot back up to 1500rpm again, i think it might be the fast idle valve and i remember someone saying somthing about air getting trapped in there can anyone help with this also ?

Edited by Jonno2002, 09 November 2004 - 11:29 PM.

oldschoolsi

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
your engine sounds TERRIBLE wtf . that tapping is outta control........and if its a hissing noise all cars do that when you put an intake on them.......mine hissed sitting at an idle and got loud when i stomped on the gas

Cäz™

• I love Wal*Mart
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 93 Civic Lx sedan
My celica has the same tapping noise ph34r.gif and its from the rocker arms hitting the valve cover...there is another noise on that vid that i heard on the 93 civic, which is air escaping from the little holes on the spark plug connector cover (the part that plugs into the plug and covers up the hole...has a small hole for air to escape out of, makes a hissing noise when spark plug fires). i hear a lot of stuff, cant quite make out what is what. Overall, it reminds me of my 82 celica (might not be a good thing) which sounded horrible at idle and good when i hit the gas a bit. I have never heard a ZC b4 so...maybe they do sound like that rolleyes.gif

I like fried rice

Facebook me!
http://www.myspace.com/xcazx "...but like i said, i am not desparate...seriously. just bored..."

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si, 1985 honda civic (the beater), 1987 civic si (converted), 1988 toyota markII
    • Image Gallery
the noise is DEFINATLY comming from the intake its like a weird rattling noise, yes there is some clicking comming from the valve cover but that isnt the loud noise you can hear. if you listen to just after i rev it you can hear the engine return to idle and then the wierd noise starts again

Edited by Jonno2002, 10 November 2004 - 12:48 AM.

DarkHand

Holy crap, who cares about the other sound, get those valves adjusted for the love of god! ohmy.gif

EDIT: The sound you mention though almost sounds like a rattle. Something in or near the intake could be loose perhaps? I'd still adjust the valves before worrying about it though. tongue.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 10 November 2004 - 09:50 AM.

DarkHand

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
I had poor fuel economy on my old car and couldn't figure out what it was. I looked in the intake one day and there was a plastic bag jammed in there. As for clicking noises, I had one car that would start clicking when the oil got low and didn't reach the valves (gotta wonder about the moron engineers who didn't have the oil level dummy light turn on a lot sooner). Maybe your oil pump is going bad. You can have it tested.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

anREXsic

• Truffle Shuffle!
  • PipPip
After listening to it a few times. All I really heard was what sounded like possibly a leak in the connections for the intake piping. Also, your engine is really loud. You might want to get those valves adjusted.
WTB CR-X Si or Civic Si
87 CR-X Si, B16 swap, many upgrades - Sold
07 NIssan Altima - Wifes Car

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.

It is often merely for an excuse that we say things are impossible.

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
i found out where the noise is comming from, its comming from the vacuum box, in the image below i have highlighted the hose with RED, there are 3 hoses going into the top little vacuum box and its the one at the back. when i pull the hose off the horrible noise comes strait out of the hose and not out of the intake anymore and the engine appears to idle normally. there is a ticking/clicking noise comming from in the box so i guess its a pump or somthing thats stuffed, i dont really know so i was hoping someone here knows what that box does. just to note that this only happens when the engine is fully warmed up and idling at 700-800 rpm

dohca

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: depends
like i said

its your MAP sensor box wink.gif

-=Playboy=-

• Honda! Bloody man's car
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Honda CRX 1.5i 1984 Ballade Sports, Honda CRX Si 1985 ZC
    Garage View Garage
Negative
its your external wastegate

dohca

• Granny
  • Pip

askit2

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX HF D16A1 Swap. 68 GTO ( work in progress)
What Year ZC Is that? anyway I found something on my car that made a similar noise... but not as loud. On mine the EICV made a continuous clicking, but when checking the base idle I noticed the noise went away. You should adjust the AirBypass Valve on the back of the intake if it is bouncing on high idle. You will need somethin like a big screw driver to adjust it. But I do mean 1 big screw driver. Clockwise drops the idle speed and then it seems like the ECU doesn't fight with the High idle.
CRX HF, D16A1 10.0-1 compression, ported and polished Head, intake, Exhaust. Header Pacesetter header (took a lot of grinding to make it work The A1 header is an A6 header, and the welds are rough.) After grindin the welds and makin it port match the head it flows well, and the Jet hot coating looks sweet. 2.25 pipe to the back OBX Torsional Differential Rocks Lifetime warrenty. And bearings on the shift rod.

askit2

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX HF D16A1 Swap. 68 GTO ( work in progress)
you are using the SI controll box right? That hose goes to the Idle control selonoid valve. There might be a restriction in the or the idle screw is in too tight. Why use the SI stuff anyway? the ZC has a EICV built on and running two would be a waste of time.... besides the SI ecu will not run the motor properly so why not get a teg box and wire in the stock Electronic Idle control valve? I bet the Idle selonoid is the problem.
CRX HF, D16A1 10.0-1 compression, ported and polished Head, intake, Exhaust. Header Pacesetter header (took a lot of grinding to make it work The A1 header is an A6 header, and the welds are rough.) After grindin the welds and makin it port match the head it flows well, and the Jet hot coating looks sweet. 2.25 pipe to the back OBX Torsional Differential Rocks Lifetime warrenty. And bearings on the shift rod.

DarkHand

Adjusted those valves yet? ph34r.gif
DarkHand

dohca

• Granny
  • Pip
jez guys get with the play....

its his idle up solinoid, ive adjusted his idle slightly higher so he doesent notice it as much, but like i said its a common thing most zc's do it.

usually happens when power steering and or air con or electrical load is put onto the engine

the clicking is just the idle valve opening and letting excess air into the engine.

generally you wont notice it with the stock intake and resinators as they cancel out most noise

with a de resinatored intake and cai you will notice it heaps.

everything else seems to be ok, everything working as it should wink.gif

its also factory ZC and control box... so your post about using an integra box is irrelevent.

Edited by dohca, 21 November 2004 - 05:09 PM.