Carbed D15a2 Head Swap....?!

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

JDMWagon

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87' Civic Wagon
Ive been searching for 2 days almost for the answer to this.

I have a 87 civic wagon. engine number claims d15a2 which some are calling a EW3? which doesnt make since, since the hp and tq is different from one to the next. so im confused about that. but on to the real issue.

this thing is too slow for me. so i decided to check on head swaps and mods. i plan to devac it soon and want to soon after swap the head for something with a lil more power. now to the issue. im hearing people say you can use a D15a3 head, others saying u can use a D16a6 head, and others saying to use a D16a1/a8/a9/ or brown top ZC. only a few are saying the ZC is double carbed and can be found but is rare. all others just start talking about switching to FI when they start mentioning heads to swap.

I will not being switching to FI. so I am tryna figure out what head is the best option for me. I know with each some things have to be changed with head, like manifold, dual carbs, etc. but ultimately WHICH can be used to keep this thing carbed.

I've searched google, the site, other sites. to no avail. maybe i didnt look hard enough but im tearing my hair out on this one.

Edited by JDMWagon, 11 August 2011 - 08:11 PM.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
All north american motors in the 83-87 civic/crx are ew motors. Some people like to call them d series motors, which is correct in some ways, and incorrect in others. Not to confuse you or anything. The motors from the integras are concidered D series motors. The heads will swap yes, but not without some work as the belts dont work properly, and all that work to get a 1.6l motor on the 1.5 ew isnt worth it. This swap is/was called a hydra swap. Again, like i said, somewhat of a waste of time, when you can just throw the 1.6 in the car alot easier than to put the head on the motor.

Ive come accross this dilema many of times my friend. I really really wanted to find a better flowing head for my carbed motor, and all that i found was dead ends or lots of money. If you want to keep it carbed and want to do a hydra swap, your going to be looking at doing a weber swap with a custom intake manifold, which isnt as hard as it sounds but is alot of work. Theres also the tuning issue, not that webers are hard to work with, it just takes time. And if you want to spend 1000 dollars on side drafts, then you could possibly have a great little swap. Again, money vs hp.

Im my opinion your best choice is to, if you want to keep the carb, is to get the head built. So get a 5 way valve job, put in a better cam (which means you have to find one as colt cams isnt around anymore, or get one built), then you will need to get your head shaved a tiny bit, an adjustable cam gear, si outer valve springs, header, full exhaust. Oh while your at it you might as well as; get a DGEV carb, get rid of the emissions, do a apr stud/bolt kit, do a ring job....and it goes on and on and on.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (chedda_j @ Aug 11 2011, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
si outer valve springs

Si inner springs, DX outer springs.

JDMWagon

• Granny
  • Pip
so id be better off swapping in a 1.6 rather than just swapping the head over? tryna keep it low budget for a while until i get the funds to go all out. which wouldnt probably happen unless i can find a FI later down the road and do a bigger swap.

so D16a...? no need for tranny swap/axles/mounts/etc? just want to get over 100 horses out of this thing. without spending all my money on an FI swap.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Aug 11 2011, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Si inner springs, DX outer springs.

Sorry ^^^^

Hes absolutely correct.

If you want to keep it low budget....buy a v8 haha. Honestly, try and get a wrecked teg and swap everything over including the rear discs and front brakes. Best upgrades for the cheapest budget.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

JDMWagon

• Granny
  • Pip
ran with v8s before my first honda lol. 425 caddis. but yeah looking into d16a6 motors as we speak. i think my homeboy has a head, intake and carb set up for 1 but i gotta find out for sure. thanks for all the info.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (JDMWagon @ Aug 11 2011, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so D16a...? no need for tranny swap/axles/mounts/etc? just want to get over 100 horses out of this thing. without spending all my money on an FI swap.

It's easiest with a donor car. You do need the matching transmission and axles, I think the transmission mount is slightly different too. And while there were carbed versions of this engine, the carburetor setups are tough to find and the intake manifold you have now won't bolt up.

There really isn't any easy way to go about it. Even if you do a hydra, you'll still need to source a carburetor for the head, which isn't easy to track down.

If you want to keep your carb, you're stuck with EW heads, or making a custom manifold.

JDMWagon

• Granny
  • Pip
supposedly he has all this from a carbed set up and has the carbs to go with it. but i will see. thanks again. im sure ill end up pulling my hair out over this civic.

gonna start checking for this and possibly a FI car to play around with.

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx
I had a carbed engine that I took .060 off the head, cleaned out the cat, put on a reground cam and a 2 barrel weber. I am sure it put out over 100 hp. The stock clutch would hold the power OK, and it would run on premium. I could burn 1 wheel all the way around the rally cross course with this set up, very annoying. Dave

Edited by rallyxcrx, 13 August 2011 - 10:28 AM.

JDMWagon

• Granny
  • Pip
ok so ive got a complete d16a6 head for free that i can play with. not sure if my intake manifold will bolt up but other than that what should i be looking for? gonna go with a weber devaced carb. will i have a problem with the timing belt and other components bolting up and functioning? still experimenting but hoping things dont go knee deep in money.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I just need to make sure of something quick... I just noticed you have a Wagon, is it AWD or FWD? It makes a difference. (Not for the head, but for a full engine swap.)

AWD transmissions have the bolt pattern of the D16, where as the FWD have the standard Civic transmission. Meaning:
If you have AWD, a D16 will bolt right up, but an EW will not work without losing the AWD.
If you have a FWD, an EW will bolt right up, but a D16 will not work without a trans and axle swap.

JDMWagon

• Granny
  • Pip
fwd

classichondaman

• Classichondaman
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Wagon, 85 & 89 Preludes, 89 DX Hatch, 06 Tundra, 85 V8 S10 Blazer
Why not just put on a D15a3 Si head and a weber. You get rid of the CVCC but everything is bolt-on. Some folks have problems getting the Weber properly adjusted but it is doable.

AWB

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (classichondaman @ Aug 27 2011, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not just put on a D15a3 Si head and a weber. You get rid of the CVCC but everything is bolt-on. Some folks have problems getting the Weber properly adjusted but it is doable.

Not to mention pretty damn easy to do. Don't forget, you'll need to use the Carbed DX intake manifold and the DX camshaft, fuel pump, distributor.

QUOTE (JDMWagon @ Aug 26 2011, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok so ive got a complete d16a6 head for free that i can play with. not sure if my intake manifold will bolt up but other than that what should i be looking for?

Sorry to tell you this but no, your intake will not fit on that head. The Si head is the quickest & easiest way to get more power from your original bottom end without going to fuel injection.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

JDMWagon

• Granny
  • Pip
was thinking of doing the si head as well. but my friend was telling me the a6 might work. either way its free and might be able to trade it for something to get what i need.

thanks for the info.