K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
385 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Well we didn’t work on the car.  Brian forgot he promised the team to work on the new employee race car.  He had a live event covering it.  So plan is Saturday after 1pm we are going to hit it.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Got the motor work done today.  RBC 50 deg VTC, Type S oil pump, unit 2 barreled pan and a few other small items.

We discovered my alternator will not work with the KTuned relocation kit.  Brian is going tomorrow to check his inventory to see if he has one that will work.  The issue is the provided replacement pulley hits the housing and won’t turn.  

then we are modifying one of the bolts on the kit from 8mm to 10.  This is the long bolt used in the kit and Brian has seen them break under conditions like racing.  Means water pump housing must be drilled and tapped and the alternator bolt hole must be opened up.

If he finds one we are going to try and do these modifications tomorrow and get that on the motor.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

We got the K Tuned relocation kit installed and also increased the size of the bolt from the 8mm included to 10mm.  we also noticed the bolt does not go into the water pump housing very deep so we are going to source a 120mm instead of the included 110mm length. 

changed a few other things today.  RDX thermostat so the outlet points down instead of up and a modified TSX water manifold.  The one on the JDM K24a has a provision the EGR and is much larger.  This one has the heater water port welded shut, since I do not use the heater.  Water temp sensor installed and the block bracket for the passenger side mount.

didn’t get as far as we hoped du to the work on the K Tuned kit and alternator.  Next we will get the motor off the stand and put the flywheel, clutch and trans together so it’s ready to go into the car.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Jesus2088

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 Crx Si, 2022 Gr86
Slowly but surely, Thanks for the update.

CSPCRX

Yes,  going slow as we are video taping everything and trying to create content at the same time.  It slows things down some.

I have to say I am just excited to actually be working on it.  Motor should be ready to go in next week.  We are not working on it this weekend because Brian is going to a big Honda car show in CA.  We had hoped to take mine but there wasn’t enough time to get it ready. Next time!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Brian announced on tonight’s Vtec Academy live show that AFK mounts will go on sale next week!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic si. 01 Integra Type R

Ill be refreshing that hasport site daily next week ha.. super excited!  

CSPCRX

We worked on the motor again last night, simplest things fought us causing it to take longer than it should.  

we made final mods to the K Tuned relocation kit so that all went together better.  Still do not have the correct alternator so working on that in the meantime.  

got the flywheel and clutch installed then mated the trans to the motor.  We then prepped the trans for the mounts.  Had to remove the OEM studs and that was a battle.  One came out okay and the other was a mess.  Also had to chase threads due to buildup inside them and studs being damaged.

we are at a point where the motor is ready to go in.  We did find the cable speedometer assembly will not fit in a K Series transmission.  They are very different and so we are going to have to find another option.  I have an extra cluster we are going to use to see if an electric speedo assemble can be placed inside of the cluster.  Working speedometer is a nice thing to have unless your a full race car.

we hope to work on it Saturday afternoon.  Brian is getting the radiator ready and we will cut the lump off the passenger frame rail so the mounts can go in.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Made some progress yesterday.

Passenger side frame rail modification complete.  There is a bump that must be removed to ensure the water pump pulley doesn’t hit the rail.  You then just weld in a flat patch to close it off.  Video we made will show this and you can also see this in the mount development videos.

We mocked up the radiator also.  Using an aftermarket VW scirocco radiator.  We were able to make straight brackets that came off each side that not only secure it, to some existing bolts, but also help block air from going around the radiator.

next weekend we will be putting the motor in for a test fit with the mounts.  Need to move the wiring harness that goes to the drives side headlights, turn signals and other items.  It runs on top of the frame rail and the mount needs to go there.  Once it’s in we will find a new path behind the mount and along the rail.  If all goes well we will then weld in the patch and the mounts.  We are also going to take one last shot at putting the K24 in at the K20 height.

I also found a solution for my speedometer cable.  Since I have a KAAZ diff the B16 cable sender will not work.  Gear is longer and narrower that comes with it.  I found an adapter of sorts from a company called Speedhut.  Basically you get a custom made short speedo cable that goes from the dash to their box.  Their box uses VSS signal and GPS to drive a motor and spin your speedometer.  Very cool solution that will give me an accurate speedo and retain all the features on my stock dash.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

We successfully got the K24a2 installed at K20 mount height!  I really wanted it to work to keep the extra 3/4 ground clearance the K20 gets.  It’s great that the HASport mount kit has a flip system designed into it to allow for this.

52123056469_e191926ee5_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

My hood has been skinned for many years, to save some weight, but we had to remove a bit more to clear the RBB manifold.  Need to clean it up a bit and paint it.

52121786387_9271c27c9b_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

so there will be three options on this kit.  Standard high mount for the K20, low mount for the K24 for those who don’t want to modify their hood and finally what I am doing K24 at high mount.

ground clearance is outstanding 

52122846103_bd2d726860_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Great news!! Love that ground clearance!

CSPCRX

The ground clearance it’s awesome!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Maybe next week the mounts will be released? I just can't wait to have them in hand.. 

CSPCRX

I will ask

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Jesus2088

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 85 Crx Si, 2022 Gr86