My Brake Booster "popped"

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

mallardtape

Has anybody ever had their brake booster "pop" on them? I was driving yesterday and it "popped" on my 86 crx HF. I lost all vacuum and it was leaking from where the rod goes to the brake pedal. For the moment i just have the line capped off so i dont lose engine vacuum.

Is the booster interchangeable from the SI to the HF? I have a si that i can swap out. But if that doesnt work then ill have to order one and get it in a few days

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (mallardtape @ Aug 29 2011, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anybody ever had their brake booster "pop" on them? I was driving yesterday and it "popped" on my 86 crx HF. I lost all vacuum and it was leaking from where the rod goes to the brake pedal. For the moment i just have the line capped off so i dont lose engine vacuum.

Is the booster interchangeable from the SI to the HF? I have a si that i can swap out. But if that doesnt work then ill have to order one and get it in a few days

Yes, the booster is the same on all 1Gs/3Gs.

I personally haven't had one actually pop, but I can see it happening.
I've dealt with more than one leaking brake booster though, but not on my cars.

mallardtape

I swapped out boosters. Sanded the new one down and re painted it. Its working great.

I have replaced many leaking or dead boosters before but i have never had one completely fail on me while braking before with no warning. So this was a new experience.

When I was pricing new ones I was asked what size it was. The parts store said there were several size options. Thats why I asked if they were interchangeable.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (mallardtape @ Aug 29 2011, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I swapped out boosters. Sanded the new one down and re painted it. Its working great.

I have replaced many leaking or dead boosters before but i have never had one completely fail on me while braking before with no warning. So this was a new experience.

When I was pricing new ones I was asked what size it was. The parts store said there were several size options. Thats why I asked if they were interchangeable.

It's possible they have different diameter boosters, but they should all interchange since the only real difference between all the 1G/3G brake parts are the solid rotors and aluminum drums of the HF, neither of which effect the balance and setup of the brake system. (Since the calipers are still the same, and the drums are the same diameter)
In fact, if you look at the service limits, there is only one listing for all Civics. (Si, DX, HF, and Wagon 4WD and FWD)

I honestly have never heard that the boosters on the civic came in different sizes. The only other sizes I've heard of were off Integras and Preludes, but their masters are different too.

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
I have noticed that with the aging of our cars a supplier will
give options in size to parts, where no option should exist.

I'm seeing it happen frequently.

Or have the wrong part, a lot. Things that should be easy too, like
exhaust gaskets and such.

I usually get it from rock auto although they have had their plenty share of
problems with my orders, at least you can see a photo of the part before ordering it.

The guys at my advance auto are pretty good, but I found it impossible to go there
and not have the old part in my hand.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i personaly have had 2 boosters pop on me while driving on these cars. DONT get a reman or a junk yard it will just waist your time and money bit the bullet and buy a new one. i say this as jary ones are a time boom. and the remans i had one pop a year after installing it.

i have also heard the diff sizes but in the end they all fit. there is more room on the non si fire walls too.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Aug 29 2011, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's possible they have different diameter boosters, but they should all interchange since the only read difference between all the 1G/3G brake parts are the solid rotors and aluminum drums of the HF, neither of which effect the balance and setup of the brake system. (Since the calipers are still the same, and the drums are the same diameter).

Actually the HF does have different front calipers than the DX/Si models. I have a set of them at home I took off years ago, when I upgrade that car to Si discs and calipers.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

mallardtape

I have swapped the SI booster from my parts car and its working great so far. We will see how long this one lasts me before i need to buy a NEW one.

I took a few minutes today to pull my booster apart to see what happened inside it to make it pop. I found 10+ year old brake fluid inside it. I am good friends with the guy i bought it from(actually hes my boss too) and he said that he replaced the master and the steel braided lines and flushed all fluid and was running DOT 5 fluid. Neither of us have had to top up brake fluid so I know THIS master isnt leaking.

Ill post pics of my findings later

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Aug 30 2011, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the HF does have different front calipers than the DX/Si models. I have a set of them at home I took off years ago, when I upgrade that car to Si discs and calipers.

Jay

Well I guess they would have to be a bit narrower for the solid rotor. But, I'd guess the pistons are the same diameter.
Does anyone happen to have both an HF and non HF caliper they could compare piston sizes on?

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
I've had that happen to me too. Was a scary feeling for me as I was near panic braking when it died. That and I was 16... lol

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
ahhh, it's not just 1/3G BB's and BMC's that fit.

Aslong as it's the right proportion it'll probably fit.

I used to run an EG Hatch one, was a little bit painful installing but worked with a sponge feel.

EK ones also fit..
QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

mallardtape

the rubber diaphram seperated inside the booster

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Interesting to see... I have never disected a busted one before. Thanks for sharing that.