Best Carb For 87 Dx Fuel Economy?

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

Jonathan6229

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members

Hi,

I have a 1st Gen CRX that I'm trying to keep around for fuel economy, I have swapped in a HF head, and Tranny.  And I had thoughts of getting a HF wiring harness and emission system working.  That looks like it's more work than I can chew, so I'm trying to get some idea of the best course of action.  Is it finding a a 1.3L carb and devacing the best idea? or would I get any help swapping on a HF carb? or no, because I don't have a 5 wire O2 sensor?  I saw this thread...http://www.redpepper...showtopic=51927  Any idea what kind of MPG return that would get? I drive pretty gently, and I'm pretty sure I'm running rich, only getting 37-38 MPG.  So anyway, what should I do to get a leaner mixture in a carb swap?  Also, are the civic CVCC 1.3L and the CRX 1.3L the same carb?

Thanks for all the help.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage

The 1.3 carbs were the same yes. My dads 1.3, which is a true 1.3 all around, gets 55 mpg. Its the CDN one, so it doesn't even have the O2 sensor.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Jonathan6229

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members

The 1.3 carbs were the same yes. My dads 1.3, which is a true 1.3 all around, gets 55 mpg. Its the CDN one, so it doesn't even have the O2 sensor.

which of these sku numbers should i get?  http://www.carb-x.co...roducts-in-shop I'm thinking it's going to be the 14-021.  But does that take finding a different air intake?  Is a 1.3 carb going to be a better option than finding leaner jets for my DX carb?

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
If you have a dx motor you better run a dx carb. My dx crx used to get 40ish, it was well tuned, and everything was fresh. They get good mileage.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

letank

If you have a dx motor you better run a dx carb. My dx crx used to get 40ish, it was well tuned, and everything was fresh. They get good mileage.

Same here, 86 dx, 41 mpg last summer on freeway/highways, all stock carb, 155Kmiles, stick. Most of those carb issues are the carb gasket at the intake manifold. You can get some vacuum leak from one of the larger hose under the intake manifold vacuum by the thermosensors, putting a new hose will yield probably another 5hp...