Now We Have Two

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

It was a great day, weather was perfect at 65.  It was funny how the two cars sparked different conversations.  The 85 brought back more memories stories and the 86 got people talking performance and how fun and quick these cars are.

Funniest story was a guy who said he and his roommate both had one, he had an white 87 SI and his roommate had a blue 84.  Shared several funny stories, then he brought his soon over to show him the cars.  He tells a story of how he turned to storage compartment behind the seats into a 3rd seat for his oldest daughter by taking out the insert and bolting in a baby seat! 

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Scored some parts locally yesterday.

- Rear center panel.  In very good shape overall, CRX stick has wear but they all do.  One on the car now has a small crack in the hand recess at the top.

- brand new in the box carburetor insulator.  These have been known to dry out and become brittle causing vacuumed leaks and car not to run.  

- set of four mesh wheels.  These were sold as options from 83-87.  They came in silver, black or gold.  Set I got is silver and in good shape overall.  One center cap is missing and one is rough so I will source two of these.  Think it will look a bit sportier than the hubcaps.

- final part was a damaged high power stereo but it cam with the optional EQ.  The EQ is a rare part and this one is in great shape.

going to have the tires pulled and do some cleanup on the mesh wheels.  Then will take them down with the steels and have the tires swapped.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Tires pulled a little mock-up to see.  Definitely adds some sport over the hubcaps!

51944953224_4e92ebfc55_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

going to reach out to a local wheel shop and see what it would cost to brighten them up and reclear them.  Also got a couple of center caps off eBay so will paint those as well.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Had some PDR done on the car today.  There were two dents on the hood and the hatch was dented where previous owner clearly backed into something.  Both came out really well.

amazing how they can do this.

this was the damage before repair.

51972474534_939056dc8d_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

updated with after photo.

51975994393_1fe88c83f4_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

rear “H” badge came off during the process so ordered new insert cups, still available, and cleaned old tape off the badge for reinstall.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Man - this makes me want to get to restoring my black 87.  There is such a list of things to do!

CSPCRX

I hear you!  I have owned the 86 since 1992 and while it’s a race car it is registered and “street legal”.  There is something fun about driving the 85. It is so different from the 86 and much more comfortable to drive.  So you enjoy it in a different way.  Heck you don’t ever see them on the road so they get a tone of looks.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Did you use a block of wood or something to pound it back out?

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

I did not watch him as he was at it for a while and I was working,

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Been enjoying our second CRX.  No big updates or changes.

Did just get Hagerty insurance on her.  For $1 more per year we are getting full coverage, glass, guaranteed value, and road side assistance.  Best part is now the car is exempt from needing an emissions test every two years.

one thing I found interesting was that if they total out your car.  They pay you the guaranteed value and you keep the car.

Also discovered that 1984s are a lot cheaper to ensure with them than the 85-87s.  It seems they are lumping all the cars in the model year together,  basically treating them as they all have the higher HP FI motor.  I found this out when they misquoted the car as a 1984,  when I corrected them on this the price shot up over $200 more a year.  A friend has a local broker he works with who was able to drive this down closer to what the 84 was.  Just found it interesting.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

So I have been on the hunt for an OEM bumper after discovering the aftermarket units I found just don’t fit exactly right, for my liking.  I found one in Canada just north of Buffalo.  Had a friend pull it.  He had to go twice as the car was literally sitting on the ground and couldn’t get to the bolts underneath.  Now the journey to AZ began!

From Canada he took it to a race in Connecticut.  From Connecticut a fellow racer took it to Colorado for a race.  From Colorado a local racer her in AZ brought it back with him!

what a journey!

spend 4 hours cutting rusted bolts off that hold on the spoiler while trying to not melt it.  What a pain, we don’t deal with that here in AZ!

now going to finish cleaning it up and have it and the other lower parts repainted.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
lol. coming from northern salt, it’s a wet dream to work on southern cars. i know what u mean

awesome shipping method!
Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

It was an epic journey for sure, much cheaper than the $400 it was going to cost to ship it!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Took the car to our church car show today.  So many people come up and share stories of how they had a CRX or how sporty they were in their day.  Lots people comment how you do just do not see them any more.

fun to hear the stories and knowing there are a group of people out there, on RPR, trying to keep these cars on the road.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

I still stay in touch with the prior owner of the 85 CRX.  He called me and said they were cleaning out the garage and found a shop manual for the car.  He was kind enough to bring it back with him.  The second page of the manual had all kinds of dates for maintenance he did.  Such a cool piece of the cars history and shows how the guy cared for this car!

52514329622_e44bfbb3ef_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
That’s a really cool part of the car’s history CSP!

In 2014 I sold a Mustang Cobra I bought new in 1993 and put 200+k miles on. Along with its original parts I handed the buyer a spiral notebook I used to record every bit of maintenance I did over the 21 years, and every gas fill up. He said he didn’t think the notebook would stay with the car.

Ok … IMHO that’s his mistake.
Bob