Trouble With Lights

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

Qball0157

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 honda crx si
Ok well i started my car tonight and the lights did not work. so i started messing around with the switch and trying the high beems and such. every now and then the high beems would turn on with a little bit of moving of the switch. but i have to hold it back in order for them to stay on. i checked all the fuses they are all fine. any help would be great.

Edited by Qball0157, 19 December 2005 - 12:06 AM.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My first guess is that your multifunction switch is broken. Does it feel loose in anyway in the stalk, and is there a solid, positive click when you switch the headlight switch? It should feel similar to the wiper arm switches, with very obvious switching actions?

If not, chances are some of the plastic inside is broken, and not switching properly.

The best way to check this is to remove the cover on the multifunction switch and un-plug it. From what I can make of the wiring diagram (section B 26,27) if you jump the white wire with the Red and White wire you should have your headlights come on, jumping the White wire with the Red and blue wire should switch your high beams.

If both work when you jump the wires, chances are your multifunction switch is broken, or has a bad connection inside.

If jumping the wires doesn't work, then you probably have a wiring issue, like a loose connector at the headlights, or possibly a frayed ground wire (which are right behind your headlights)

If you need to, you can open up the switch and check to see if the electrical connections are making contact, or what might be broken, but its pretty involved to crack one of those open, so if you go for it, proceed with caution.

I would recommend checking the switch out and checking the wires by jumping them, and if it does turn out to be the switch, replace it with another one.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Qball0157

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 honda crx si
Thanks alot Mark ill do that first thing in the morning. You where alot of help!

Thanks again