What Is More Cost Efective?

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

CRXdan

ok the question is how fast do you want to go.
thats the question you have to ask yourself. OBVIOULSY a b is better than a d for more power. but what will you do with that power.
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

savestheday

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 crx HFi, 1993 Integra
I would have to go with the D myself because in your price range it is perfectly capable of being built to make 250 whp. but from reading your last post i assume this is they way you decided to go. dont get me wrong i love the B motors (i drive an integra) but i sort of like the underdog-ness of the d-series and b parts are alot more expensive. BTW why not try a sohc d-series for your buildup its different and is easily capable of 250 whp, Built that is. www.d-series.org, check them out.
It runs! Carb to Megasquirt EFI.

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si K20Z1
Lots of mis-information in this thread.....

You absolutely do NOT have to build a b16 for 250whp. 250whp on a turbo b16 is clown shoes. People are regularly making 300+whp on STOCK BLOCK b16's.

I made 255whp/185wtq on my b16 del sol @8psi with a t3 60trim 60/63. Street tuned on uberdata. Stock fuel pump, stock pistons, stock rods, stock cams, stock everything. Drove it daily for 2yrs before selling it to buy my 1g and a motorcycle.

All you need to run 250whp safely on a b16 is a GOOD TUNE. My del sol setup that I pieced together and installed myself cost me ~$1,800 plus $200 to my tuner =$2,000 and you could do it even cheaper if you are really patient about finding good deals.

Obviously my vote is for Bseries I think it has much more potential and reliability as long as you dont have ass your turbo setup.

Either way though you are going to love boost so good luck!

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
most of my friends are even doing b18a swaps which are 10x cheaper than the b16a, and you can still easily get 250whp. ive been told the rods are the strongest stock b rods, and the pistons are lower compression.
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

necro

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 96 civic
Imo the b18b would be your best bet for that kind of hp. Like Magoon said a good tune and also a GOOD fuel management and you'll be good to go.

hondafig

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
D series > B series
93 Del sol Si (PM7 pistons and just a 50shot)
85 CRX Si (underconstruction)

C8V6C

QUOTE (crxls @ May 13 2005, 07:17 PM)
i say go B18 Ls turbo! but thats just me, you know where i stand  wink.gif

Boost an LS.....you can find them cheaper than B16s, and there will be a lot more torque

You can always run an ls vtec later.....my friend ran a mid 12 on a boosted ls...it was built a lil, but it was a heavy car

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

boostinginvegas

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx SI..89 crx si b16 turbo...91 firebird formula...93 toyota 4 runner
for 5 grand i would also go b18b.....they LOVE boost and are reliabile when tuned......put some internals in it nice turbo cams and a big fatty turbo...good for 300hp no problem

bad@ssracer

i am gonna start seriously looking for a totaled lude with an h22 that i can boost the hell out of. i have always wanted to make a death trap so why not start now
The Race Is Short , But The Victory Is Sweet

user posted image
^^definate hottie^^

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI racecar, and 86 Civic DX
I say sleeve the d16 with forged internalls and you could hold up too 20 pounds of boost and you would have more power then you could ever use. Plus it will be easier to tune since you dont have vtec to contend with. Parts are cheaper and you allready have the motor and trans.
There's people that dont know and people that don't know they don't KNOW!!

MaitlandTron

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1976 Chevy Nova, 1984 Mazda RX7, 1987 Honda CRX
QUOTE (bad@ssracer @ Jul 17 2005, 02:50 PM)
i am gonna start seriously looking for a totaled lude with an h22 that i can boost the hell out of. i have always wanted to make a death trap so why not start now

I heard the H series motors are not reccomended for high boost applications due to the thin cylinder sleeves.