Drifting?!?!?

• You cannot reply to this topic
44 replies to this topic

Airjockie

• I LIKE RED (spray-paint)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
This will prolly kill the RPR gallery...but I uploaded a clip of my CRX in a drift comp...the only known vid....I was drifting and smoking tires all day...and I only got that much on tape.....life sucks.

But since I suck at computers and vids and other stuff...I''ll let you find it....hint'''it is in my gallery...last item ....

If I post a link...then the website will be down....

maybe someone can fix it for me or something....
87 CRX SI, Wide body, and still not running...RB25DET?!?!?!
74 260Z....going to get rebuilt soon....
07 Subaru outback...Daily Driver...

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si Hatchback
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
actually if i can find it, i saw a vid of this 2g CRX (of course FF) drifting around this really widy track like CRAZY. e-brake free so im sure its possible with the right tuning.

although it would be much easier and funner with a FR or AWD

<span style='color:red'>SportInjectedClub</span>

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
[Invisible font]Okay, screw credibility ph34r.gif

At midnight some of my friends and I go out to a small remote parking lot to watch friends and random yahoo's drift their FR's.... Usually a friday night kinda thing.

Anyways, one night all the guys were bad talking FF.... WRONG idea.

I had to show them what these cars can do, and drifted better than most of them (e-brake, that is)

I would love to get some videos, but don't have a nightvision cam, and don't think a lot of people would want to see that on the board, as its not exactly a safe and sanctioned activity....

But it CAN be done, well, and its really really fun (bad bad bad for tires, though)

Cheers,
Mark[/Invisible Font]

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

pwr_crx

Airjockey, that was d.o.p.e.

ps. Mark that font wasnt invisible, i saw it he he tongue.gif
Bryan....
user posted image

87 Si Dohc - T

Vildalix

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx Si
FF drifting is about looks more then anything else, the problem with FF drifting is that you lose way to much speed unlike FR drifting where you only loose a little bit of speed. you cannot sequentaily drift a FF like a FR.

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
drifting can be done with a little e-brake action ph34r.gif
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

Rollin

• Desert.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 Wagon &quot;Fiona&quot;, 85 1500DX &quot;The Tick&quot;, 90 HB (Rip), 86 Wagon 4x4 (Rip)
Wow I did not expect this amount of response. There has been a lot of talk of different techniques and I am all for knowing how to control your vehicle under extreme "activity". But how do you set up the suspension to actually make it work, any know this??? biggrin.gif laugh.gif blink.gif cool.gif

Andrew
- Just Rollin, bruised and rebuilt but Rollin.
- "Insanity is defined as doing the same old thing the same old way and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
- --> Under Construction <-- [Always]

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You want a really stiff rear end, and an additional rear anti-sway bar will help a lot too.

In order to promote oversteer through suspension tuning, you want a stiff rear end and a moderate front end...

Haven't you played with the extremes of suspension tuning on GT3? wink.gif

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

thumpu77

• 2nd gen guy
  • PipPip
Just throw a couple of McDonalds plastic trays under the back wheels and set the E-brake. You'll drift like crazy!!!

<---- I did not just say that!!!!!!
user posted image

quiksilver

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX
ya if u put trays under the back tires it works good, cept u should do it on a rainy/snow day or else the road tares the shit out of the trays

(and yay my first post)

DarkHand

Speaking of traysliding...

Here are two traysliding videos for you to enjoy. smile.gif

A quote from Hondaswap a while back:

we built custom rollers, on ball bearing wheels. They even have the strap that'll go around the tire to keep it there.  The Ball bearings make it slide 10X better than regular trays, and they don't wear out. We even have little mini ramps so you can pull right up on them, (a must for something this slippery). The straps that go over the tires are sooo nice, you don't even have to lock the e-brake. all it takes is a little welding, and you're set!!!

Edited by DarkHand, 18 June 2004 - 08:35 AM.

DarkHand

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
You kids and you ideas of "fun" {shakes his grey haired old head}.

Why when I was your age, we tried everthing we could think of to NOT slide. See, back in the old days we wanted to go FAST, not sideways. Any moron can put a car sideways and burn up a set of cheap tires. Hell, there is nothing to it in a high torque RWD.

And even a low powered FWD can swing its ass end around. It is called weight shifting. The secret is.... THE HANDBRAKE.

I know, you kiddies like to gather in large groups and watch other morons burn up their tires. Ever wonder why drifiting "competitions" are sponsored by tire manufacturers?

{sigh}

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Airjockie

• I LIKE RED (spray-paint)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
I never used the handbrake...it's just not needed....plus I can't get my hands off the steering wheel except only the little time to shift...

FWD sliding and RWD drifting are different....as well as autocross, and drag racing.

It is just another sport to play with our cars.....

And yes...I'm old too...but its fun....

And believe it or not...it is way harder to do than it looks...

No-one has the balls to take a CRX to a drift comp, infront of all the Pro's from Japan...and actually compete...except me...hehe

IT don't matter if your one WD, or 4WD, RWD FWD...it's called going out and having some fun with your car...
87 CRX SI, Wide body, and still not running...RB25DET?!?!?!
74 260Z....going to get rebuilt soon....
07 Subaru outback...Daily Driver...

10secCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Jun 17 2004, 05:32 PM)
drifting can be done with a little e-brake action  ph34r.gif

hell yes it can

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Airjockie @ Jun 18 2004, 12:38 PM)
I never used the handbrake...it's just not needed....plus I can't get my hands off the steering wheel except only the little time to shift...

FWD sliding and RWD drifting are different....as well as autocross, and drag racing.

It is just another sport to play with our cars.....

And yes...I'm old too...but its fun....

And believe it or not...it is way harder to do than it looks...

No-one has the balls to take a CRX to a drift comp, infront of all the Pro's from Japan...and actually compete...except me...hehe

IT don't matter if your one WD, or 4WD, RWD FWD...it's called going out and having some fun with your car...

Well said, Airjockie.

My car doesn't have a stiff suspension, but I can get it going sidways and hold it pretty well with the e-brake...

It is just another way of playing with your car, testing the limits of handling and car control, because it is quite hard to hold a FF car in a slide like that.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub