DarkHand

I'd also like a fiberglass 86-87 Si wing. biggrin.gif
DarkHand

fishie63

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: CRX
We have a composite expert that can reproduce the original if we could borrow one. Once the molds are completed it can be done in various materials including CF. If it's going to be done, better to have it done right, and I'm willing to take it on and get it to him if I can get the peice to copy.
BTW, he is one of the best composite experts I've seen, and I've been racing longer than most folks on this sight have been breathing. Check out the work he did for us:

Edited by fishie63, 05 August 2004 - 05:19 PM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
In a sense, this whole business of making an accurate copy of a piece that was only in limited prodcution and then for only a short amount of time is sort of like preserving a species from extinction.

I can only hope that the person who is holding the orginal Mugen rear spoiler will be generous enough to allow the rest of the 1st Gen CRX community to have a copy. If the owner of the orginial is concerned that the value of his piece would be diluted by a series of copies floating on the market, perhaps we could cast a small flaw in the copies that will forever mark them as less than orginal pieces.

Whatever the outcome, I am willing to put the money in the mail RIGHT NOW for a good copy of the Mugen rear spoiler. Failing that, I would also pay for a CF/fiberglas copy of the 86-87 Si rear spoiler that would remove the majority of the 15 pounds that the stock piece weighs.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

fishie63

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Lets get a count then, how many people only want the Mugen? How many people would buy (at a fair rate) a 86-87 Si rear copy?

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (fishie63 @ Aug 5 2004, 06:07 PM)
Lets get a count then, how many people only want the Mugen? How many people would buy (at a fair rate) a 86-87 Si rear copy?

I want a Mugen copy. This is my top priority.

If that is not available I will consider buying a 86-87 Si rear spoiler in CF or fiberglas.

Hopefully, either one would have the mounting bolts molded into the backside so it will be easy to mount.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
I am pretty sure the molding process destoys the orginal thats why people may not offer their wings up for copy

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Aug 5 2004, 06:24 PM)
I am pretty sure the molding process destoys the orginal thats why people may not offer their wings up for copy

Actually, no that should not be the case.

The original is used as a "plug" from which a mold can be made. The plug is coated in something like Vaseline to insure that nothing sticks to it.

If done correctly (and from what we have heard about the guy doing the work he knows what he is doing) the original should be fine.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

fishie63

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
If the molding process is done properly, it does NOT ruin the piece. The problem is most think they can pick up a book or watch someone do it for a while and figure they can do it. Just look at all the poor quality body kits available on the market. Experience is everything. Our guy has been reproducing parts for over 40 years including alot of CF replacement parts for bikes.

Edited by fishie63, 05 August 2004 - 06:33 PM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Jamie and I have never found anyone with an original MUGEN rear spoiler to let us make a copy...if they are afraid that their part would be damaged, why would we go buy a pristine orignal MUGEN body kit and make molds from it if we though we would damage it? It is sitting back in the crate the we got it out of before we made the molds.

Kirk

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
fishie63: have you made any 1g crx parts allready, that you are ready to sell?

Ghost-One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (gtpilot @ Aug 9 2004, 03:00 PM)
Jamie and I have never found anyone with an original MUGEN rear spoiler to let us make a copy...if they are afraid that their part would be damaged, why would we go buy a pristine orignal MUGEN body kit and make molds from it if we though we would damage it?  It is sitting back in the crate the we got it out of before we made the molds.

Kirk

woah you are not using the orginal kit....

Hart-n-Sol

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Crx Si, 92 Civic hatch
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Aug 9 2004, 03:47 PM)
Jamie and I have never found anyone with an original MUGEN rear spoiler to let us make a copy...if they are afraid that their part would be damaged, why would we go buy a pristine orignal MUGEN body kit and make molds from it if we though we would damage it?  It is sitting back in the crate the we got it out of before we made the molds.

Kirk

So you guys make replicas? Are they for sale?

Ghost-One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Hart-n-Sol @ Aug 9 2004, 03:50 PM)

Kirk

DUH!!! it s the biggest news on this board for a year

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
I would love to have either wing on my car in CF. Mugen preferred, but would be happy just to have ANY wing in CF. I would love to have the mugen kit, but that means I would have to have hack at it to fit my 86 CRX, and I don't want to hack. Plus, I don't want the really wide wheel wells of the Mugen, that canadian fender kit I saw on some cars would be nice, if I can only find one!
Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

Hart-n-Sol

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Crx Si, 92 Civic hatch
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Aug 9 2004, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (Hart-n-Sol @ Aug 9 2004, 03:50 PM)

Kirk

DUH!!! it s the biggest news on this board for a year

biggrin.gif I have a good excuse....