89 Integra Front Sway Bar Worth It?

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
So, I got an integra front sway bar, it's a weekend fun car that I do some spirited driving in. Is it worth the difference in handeling over the Crx front sway bar? I have a rear axle locker and limited slip differential already.
The Original CR-Z driver

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery

Your going to get some different opinions on this. 

But for "spirited driving" is a great upgrade. 

some AutoX guys like to run with no bar up front to help rotate the car. 

But to help tighten the car and provided a flatter feel its a great upgrade, but at the limit it will push more.  

KSousa

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1986 integra LS

Yes its a good upgrade. Well worth the trouble. You might want to try to find a 2wd wagovan front sway bar. its slightly thicker than the integras and would likely be a better match for the rear locking plate. And dont forget to get some energy suspension bushings to further improve on your new sway bar =)

Check out my build!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48435
custom extended fiberglass rear spoiler that wont develop rust bumps and weighs half as much as oem!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=55523
Tired of replacing/fixing your brittle plastic fenders? Wihttp://www.redpepper...showtopic=55674

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I run a wagon bar on a crx.  I like it for the extra control of roll. 

Pain to fit.  You have to loosen off the front subframe from the body to get it in, which is interesting with the engine in place; and you need the bushing as its a different size.

If you haven't already fitted an external anti roll bar on the rear in place of the internal one in the axle, then now is a good time. The 14mm DC2 integra bar was my choice.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
When I fitted the Integra bar on my Civic that I have Energy Suspension bushings on I used a dremel with a grinding tip to enlarge the bore so that the larger bar fit it. Since the kit include 2 sets of sway bar bushings I reworked the 16mm bushings leveling my 18mm alone so that if the boring failed I could still run my stock Si bar.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Two questions: How does your car handle now, before you install a new front bar? And how would you like your car's handling to change?

A bigger front bar will induce more understeer. Is this what you want?

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage

i think i may follow through with the mod, i want the car to feel a bit more planted in the corners, and i believe that this modification will provide just that. will keep you posted, Also throwing on the CF-48's and they are .5 inches wider than my 85 Si wheels so i am excited about that as well

The Original CR-Z driver

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

As a street mod its great. makes the car feel very flat and "plated" at total limit the car might plow (understeer) but the locking plate is a good match. 

this is the same setup I'm running. With no bar there is a lot of roll. 

Understeer isn't a bad terrible thing. On the street if you push to hard, let off and the car will collect it's self. keep in mind this will happen at the total limit of your car.  

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
"Understeer isn't a bad terrible thing."

That sums it up. Everybody has a setup they prefer. No one can claim a Best Setup as we all have personal preference. Over- or understeer represents loss of traction which is equal to less speed.

My preference is a "neutral" car that neither under- or over- steers. I find that is the fastest potential setup for changing directions.

Which set up is the Best? Let's go to the track anf find out.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

"it's a weekend fun car that I do some spirited driving in"

Not everyone on here auto X's their car scott

When I campaigned my car for over a decade at the Regional and National level 

(I had a very competitive career with countless regional titles)

I ran without a front bar. As a dedicated street car a thicker front bar is nice. 

Truth..... the car felt like shit without a front bar, sure it was the better setup but it rolled like crazy. 

Scott you need to read. My last post clearly stated this. What works on the track doesn't always work on the street. I'm sure you have said this countless times over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over .

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Scott your not the only person on this site who has enjoyed these cars on the competitive stage, 

played with suspension to get the most out their cars. 

From 1991-2002 I lived in Halifax N.S. where I did the most of my racing 

Wish I had brought my trophies/ plaques with me but last I checked there still sitting in a box in my parents basement. 

This is all I have with me since I moved to Ontario.

Solo_zpsbafcbd39.jpg

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Well said, a track setup is not necessarily the best setup for the street.

Outside of suspension travel and compliance, the biggest drawback (to me) of a track setup on the street would be the twitchy nature of the track-specific alignment. A neutral car is always my first choice, track or street but a street alignment makes all kinds of sense for a street car.

With all that said, I am a champion for truth and real engineering. I am fighting against the darkness that is "Bro Engineering" (All the guys down at the street races tell me that...) It is important that enthusiasts know how to assess their car's strengths and weaknesses and to know what measures to take to effect the change they are hoping for.

Call me the guy lighting a single match to counter the dark, but if I can raise the consciousness of just one enthusiast...

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

OHHH . I like trophies and plaques. Great job Mark. You got any cool Podium trophies/plaques Scott ? Post em' up.. Nothing speaks wisdom like being in the winners circle.  Those show what Kind of Wisdom you are handing down , nothing like getting info from a winning racer.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Plaques? Trophies? From Nova Scotia? Nope, don't got 'em.

Wanna race? I will be in Costa Mesa on August 31. See you there http://socalchallenge.com/

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Nah, in my low mileage garage queen ? I'll pass on the 800 mile trip. I never claimed to be a "racer" . I modify my car as an enjoyment and as a sentimental value. Not to be someone I'm not or never was. After 10 years; same old redundant robotic retorts. I have tracked her twice at SJCF( 5 miles from my house). It was fun for sure , but not for me. So I did try it. 

With all due respect, 

You know as well as I there are no so-cal RPR members whom actively participate in SCCA. So the whole "calling people out" thing that happens on a yearly basis from you is , in analogy form . Like a beginner weight lifter at a womens yoga class calling them out to a dead-lift challenge . Are they scared? probably not. Are there some that probably can out dead-lift you? Sure. Do they want to or remotely care to? No. That's the point. 

So you can stop beating your chest like a caveman and degrading everyone's setup that is not like yours . Respect is earned , you sir , have no respect for anyone on this board except yourself. You only post something that has to do with YOU or YOUR setup. "LOOK AT ME GUYS" . "I'M THE BEST GUYS" " LOOK AT ME NEW MEMBERS I AM A RACING CHAMPION".

You've never won a race . You never participate in sanctioned race days (only practice days). The only CSP class sanctioned event you did race you placed DEAD last and you sandbagged at that (dpr head,camshaft, TB, etc.). Get some podium finishes in your class against other racers and I will retract all my statements, politely . You now have modified your car with all the add-ons that will put you in a class in which you will get your ass handed to you. Being why you only race "practice day" . I respect your modifications , but put them to use. Race with the big boys . Kick it up a notch and stop calling people out who care less about racing and call people out who do. Get in there and battle the big dogs I say.  Do you have more skill than me? Sure you probably do. I'm not denying that. 

Do some Honda challenge or race against others. Put your mods to the test. 

SOLO is cool, but IMO it's more of the car/course layout than the driver, sure a certain amount of respected skill is involved, not taking that away. But when I see a DOT tire shod geo metro LSI with a beginner driver get a faster time than a unlimited class pro' in a 600HP C5 vette. It has to do with a short tight course rather than driver skill. 

I'll politely decline your challenge . Thanks for including me though in your testosterone fueled call out. I can only imagine what your keyboard "race face" looked like .