What I Hate About Nascar

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
There's a bunch of things I hate about Nascar. First, the cars are highly modded and in no way resemble the production models and the manufacturers that they are supposed to represent. A Pontiac Bonneville in Nascar, for example, is nothing more than a fiberglass body that superficially represents a Bonneville on a custom built tube chassis and in no way is based on the real Bonneville. Second, they put these restrictor plates in the manifolds of the engines and other kinds of rules to slow the cars because they put out too much power for the tracks they run on. Well, the question I have is, why don't they change the rules so that the teams can't modify the cars as much? If the cars resemble real production autos more than they currently do, the cars will run at safe speeds and actually represent the model that they are supposed to represent.

Nascar is no more than a monster truck rally with cars instead of pickups. Most people just go to watch the wrecks and the drivers pull dirty fish tail spin moves on opponenets in the final lap, more of a male soap opera than a sport. I hope Honda never gets into Nascar.

I am open to discussion and differing opinions here.

Edited by Omega Mugen, 05 February 2005 - 11:06 AM.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm a nascar fan and i agree with you there,I understand why they have the rules but i do not agree with them. It's National Assosiation of STOCK Car Auto Racing and nothing is even close to a stock car. I feel they should mod an actual stock car and take it racing like they did years ago But thats just wishful thinking.
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT, straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT,
straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT, straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT,
Straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT, straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT,
straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT, straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT,
straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT, straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT.

Bored yet? rolleyes.gif

IMO; Nascar was cool in the 60s/70s when they used "stock" muscle cars.

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (boman @ Feb 5 2005, 12:01 PM)
straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT, straight, straight, straight, straight, LEFT.

Bored yet?  rolleyes.gif

IMO; Nascar was cool in the 60s/70s when they used "stock" muscle cars.

JAKOB  biggrin.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself. laugh.gif Omega has a point about the cars being nothing like production vehicles...but who would pay to watch fairly stock cars do 90 mph in a circle? laugh.gif

DSMTimeline.jpg

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
When you start tearing up at 230 miles an hour, sometimes you start to wonder hmm... if car number 7 looses traction and goes up, up, into the stands, how would that affect ticket sales? Restrictor plates, equipped only for the Daytona and Talladega races, are to protect everyone and it adds a little more strategy to the deal.

Infinion and Watkins Glen are a lot more than just left's. But beyond that, how fast can he go into the turn? Is the air around him going to put enough downforce on the right spots of the car to keep him down or is he going to slide up and wreck? When should you pit, with others or on your own? More than just left.

Male soap opera? Please. They can't even lay into one another anymore. Tony Stewart gets a little uppity last season and everyone wants him toned down. Granted, I didn't like how he always seemed to mess with poor Kasey Khane, but whatever. Pro Wrestling = men's soap opera. More T&A involved, and ya gotta have some of that for a soap.

But I will agree that they should stop forcing all the cars to look so much alike. I can appreciate the need for aerodynamics and that will kinda put each car in a similar style, and there are plenty of ways the cars can differentiate from one another, but yeah, mor individualized would be better.

And BTW: There are no Pontiacs in NASCAR anymore except for a few holdouts in the Busch series.

EDIT:
not as cool as the original charger, but hey, it's not bad.

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
i agree there is ALOT more involved with Nascar then going straight then turning left....plus you all are forgetting they still use old style carbs instead of FI now how bitchin is that huh? plus have you seen them tires they are what 11 inchs wide and balder then me..how can they stick to the ground going 180 MPH+ and not slide all over the place...just the things that make you go hmmmm how are they doing that? i mean 700 HP out of a V-8 no bigger then 357 Cubes with a standard off the shelf intake with a 4 barrle carbie oh and don't forget they do use power steering in there and STILL making 700 HP with that...HMMMMM how are they doing that? hey it's racing and.....so lets just have fun watching the crashes and looking at the hot chicks in the shorts and small tops biggrin.gif

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
QUOTE (Disco Stu @ Feb 5 2005, 01:06 PM)
EDIT:
not as cool as the original charger, but hey, it's not bad.

Those headlights are decals.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yep. Prevents glass from being shattered on the track. Those tires are so sensitive and driving conditions so harsh that even a washer can be pushed through the tire on a caution lap. Happened to Jeff Gordon one of the last races last season.

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
Just remember, NASCAR is trying to sell a product and for that product to sell it needs speed.. Unfortunately in order to see the 180-200mph speed Nascar does, they need to make sure the racers are safe, hence the tube chassis.. The OEM "stock" chassis are not designed to withstand a crash at 180MPH.. A properly made chassis and cage will do a better job (they aren't 100%) because they take into account the higher speeds...

The look of the race car is also so influential to going fast (especially at those speeds) that for all the manufacturers to compete they need to be as close together as possible but be a little different looking.. Problem is if they look different they will be different areodynamically (sp?)... If one manufacturer had the slickest car and another didn't would the non-slick one want to race and put out millions of dollars not to be able to compete and win?? NASCAR has to put in those rules to keep it competitive.. Car manufacturers can't make cars OEM styled just for NASCAR anymore so NASCAR has to level the playing ground somehow..

Airgazm86 is right.. Who would pay to see stock cars going 90MPH in a circle, excuse me and oval... tongue.gif Would you?? wink.gif
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
What I hate about NASCAR are the funky gimmicks sponsors come up with to sell stuff.. Take the new Pringles Prints.. Who reads potato chips?? Come on.. rolleyes.gif So what is Jimmy Johnson is married to a Golden Retriver.. Should they print it on a Pringle chip?? dry.gif
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

tencutty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 si hatch
QUOTE (Hollowman @ Feb 5 2005, 06:33 PM)
What I hate about NASCAR are the funky gimmicks sponsors come up with to sell stuff.. Take the new Pringles Prints.. Who reads potato chips?? Come on.. rolleyes.gif So what is Jimmy Johnson is married to a Golden Retriver.. Should they print it on a Pringle chip??  dry.gif

LOL!!!! hahaha they should ask on a pringle out of the thousands in attendance at Daytona last year, how many had a full set of teeth and didnt watch the blue collar comedy more than twice. that should be a number in the TEENS.

Anyhow, how much money you got pumped into a car shouldnt be the factor of domination in Nascar. I agree with you all about the old school races. definitely more skill involved.
Aoccdring to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtsy,it deosn't mttar in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are. The olny imprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the right pclae. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can slitl raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Mark Martin is sponsored by Pfizer. He's been in the business for years. He's part of Rouch Racing's team, which gets plenty of backing by Ford. He was out within 7 laps of last year's Daytona 500. Big backing doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you're a good driver and your equipment holds up, you can do just fine.
And even though there are plenty that do have millions dropped into their car, it still takes plenty of skill to master an 800hp beast and still avoid the people who haven't tamed theirs.

nivek2002

Since you mentioned Roush Racing - Jack Roush is coming by my work in the coming weeks smile.gif He has a P-51 Mustang and is involved with aviation. I hope I can get a photo with him.

As far as Nascar, all racing has its pro and con's. The actual racing can get boring, but doesn't F1 too?

Kevin

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hey, if you do get near 'em, tell him I says congrats on his and Kurt Busch's win last season.

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
if you have never been to one, its hard to pass judgement. I was like most of you, "this ole roundy-round stuff", but once you actually see it in person, and see how the cars are a blur as they go past, its hard to conceive just how fast and on the edge these guys are.

I go to talladega twice a year, and I'm glad they do something to slow the cars down. I'm not a fan of restrictor plates, but there needed to be something done. even with restrictor plates, elliott sadler spun and blew over as he went past me last fall, and the previous year he did it on the back stretch. if the speeds were 30-40 mph higher, he may have been in the stands with us.

to each, their own; but if it has wheels and speed, I like it.
wes g.