New Old Si Head

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

86rustbox

• PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 civic dx, 98 crv
i just bought a 4 carb setup from a member, and he was nice enough to include an SI head. almost all the parts are there to put it back together, some are damaged or missing (couple valves/springs).

but upon close inspection i noticed the cam "bearings", i guess they're called...the areas where the cam rests in the head, are scratched and dented. looks like someone tried to pry the cam out with a screwdriver; the bearing surfaces are deeply scratched in some parts, so there's little burrs of aluminum protruding. and the edge where the top half of the bearing bolts on is smashed in a bit, creating a lip that seems like it would bind the cam as it turns.

can this be fixed easily? i'm sure i could dremel the rough parts back down, but then i'd have pitting still, can a cam run on a bearing like that?

sorry i don't have a camera right now, otherwise i'd save a few words with some pics.

also, if the SI head works out, are the valve springs the same as the CVCC ones? i was going to snag them from mine and usually i just make sure the parts #'s are the same, but i can't even find em anywhere.
beer is good for you.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I just replied to your PM. I would think that even with these gouges resurfaced, it would wear out your cam/head and make for an unreliable combo

the springs will work but they are softer and don't handle the RPM's as well. Si's come stock with an inner and an outter spring per each valve and since the DX only has a single spring per valve, the resulting combination of the Si inner springs and DX outer springs makes for a nice, cheap upgrade.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

86rustbox

• PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Sep 21 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just replied to your PM. I would think that even with these gouges resurfaced, it would wear out your cam/head and make for an unreliable combo

the springs will work but they are softer and don't handle the RPM's as well. Si's come stock with an inner and an outter spring per each valve and since the DX only has a single spring per valve, the resulting combination of the Si inner springs and DX outer springs makes for a nice, cheap upgrade.

yeah i got it, thanks. probably won't have the money for the quench pads, but that would be a great addition to some browntops and a mild cam. would i be in danger of blowing a head gasket or anything with comp that high? at what point is comp too high for these motors?

i'll probably just try and find some SI valve springs from someone on here. another question though; aren't the cams the same minus the CVCC lobes? i've heard they are and the DX cam could be used in the SI head in order to keep the mechancal fuel pump and DX dist.
beer is good for you.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
i keep this link around for such occasions
http://www.redpepper...php/t44373.html

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

86rustbox

• PipPip
QUOTE (chedda_j @ Sep 23 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i keep this link around for such occasions
http://www.redpepper...php/t44373.html

ha ha yeah, there's the answer to my cam question. i should know, i posted on that thread like 4 times.
beer is good for you.

1styearSI

• first year SI
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 civic SI SOLDI, 92 accord ex SOLD,84 yamaha virago 95 FIREBIRD FORMULA RAM AIR,2014 civic lx
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
that head is shot you would have to line hone it and add cam bearings (honda's don't have them from the factory)
and that costs more than the head is worth.do you self a favor when you pull your head drill out the oil supply to the head a LITTLE! just a little and be sure and replace the o-ring on it this is a common oil starvation problem that normally breaks the cam but first gouges out the head.good luck it happened to my si with 120k on it i got a reman head for 300 cam and all

86rustbox

• PipPip
QUOTE (1styearSI @ Oct 10 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that head is shot you would have to line hone it and add cam bearings (honda's don't have them from the factory)
and that costs more than the head is worth.do you self a favor when you pull your head drill out the oil supply to the head a LITTLE! just a little and be sure and replace the o-ring on it this is a common oil starvation problem that normally breaks the cam but first gouges out the head.good luck it happened to my si with 120k on it i got a reman head for 300 cam and all

a speed shop around here said they can grind them out and refill...should i not trust that?

also, if anyone out there has an FI manifold, i need one to butcher for the bike carbs! i posted an ad in WTB but i don't think people check that section too often. please PM with a price; shipping to 63301, thanks.

beer is good for you.