87 Crx - Runs Rough

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

+-GSX-+

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '94 Thunderbird LX, '87 CRX Si
I recently got a '87 CRX Si from a friend who crashed it into a pole at roughly 15mph, destroying the bumper / pushing the engine back an inch or so. It starts up instantly and drives, although it idles fairly rough and hesitates when getting on the gas hard. It also tends to chug when holding certain speeds. The exaust smells strong (although it seems to be getting better as its driven around more) and emits some black smoke; mainly when getting on the gas hard. We did find a vacuum line leading from the fuel filter to the fuel rail that appeared to be loose, so we zip-tied it and took it for a spin. It ran better at idle and during acceleration (still hesitated while holding certain speeds, just not as bad) but completely lost all power and felt like it was about to die when going wide open. We've since removed the zip-tie and are unsure what the problem could be. The dashboard is displaying the PGM-FI warning light so i'm thinking it may have somthing to do with the fuel / air supply? Anyone have any ideas? blink.gif

Edited by +-GSX-+, 25 May 2005 - 11:55 PM.

pwr_crx

check your ecu for codes.
Bryan....
user posted image

87 Si Dohc - T

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Too much gas? Black smoke usually means that. ...but i runn carbed.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

+-GSX-+

• Granny
  • Pip
I checked my ecu and none of the lights were active. My friend thinks its just running rich and the PGM-FI warning light is now gone (i believe it usually doesnt come on until the engine is warm though). What could cause the engine to run rich?

+-GSX-+

• Granny
  • Pip
I think i've found the problem. I got a X 4 X 1 error code on the ecu (MAP sensor vacuum hose disconnected or broken) and sure enough the bottom hose is disconnected. The hose is broken with a piece still lodged in the MAP sensor. Can the hose alone be replaced or will i need a new MAP sensor?

Edited by +-GSX-+, 26 May 2005 - 11:30 PM.

CRXdan

i had the same problem.
replace the hose, can you fish that piece out?

Edited by CRXdan, 26 May 2005 - 11:34 PM.

90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

+-GSX-+

• Granny
  • Pip
No luck yet getting the broken piece out. I spent several minutes trying to dig it out with needle noose pliers but cant get a good grip on it.

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
My 86 Si tends to chug while holding it at RPMs between 2 and 3 thousand and I get a solid error code on LED 1, which I believe is something that has to do with air. But the PGM-FI light came on a year or two before having this problem.
Build Thread- Here

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
there is a service manual at the top of this page, ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ECU CODES the manual will tell you both what they mean and what to check!!!

GSX- a dental pick is your friend. i believe harbor freight had a nice cheap set
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol: