Major Electrical Issues.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

87CRX_HF

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, 93 Mustang LX 5.0,11 Tacoma TRD O/R
Hey guys I'm new to the sight and new to CRX's. I have a 87 CRX HF. I did a battery relocate kit to the back and found out that the ground i chose was not good enough. So I moved everything back to original place. Positive terminal-wire to starter, wire to fusable link(top right), and white/green wire from hazards. the issue is that as soon as i touch the wire from fusable link to hot, relays start clicking and the battery and oil light are on in the cabin without key. If I start the car this way, I can turn the key off and car still runs, only way to kill it is by removing wire from positive terminal.. Now wire connecting to fusabe link is a straight shot to altenator, when i take the wire from other side and bypass the fusable link I have no power at all. So its like the power is hitting the link and redirecting somewhere.. I have been told ignition or voltag regulator possibly Car was running perfect b4 this.

87CRX_HF

• Granny
  • Pip
Whatever is going on is causing there to be no lights what so ever. Brake lights, headlights, all interior lights- nothing works

Indyman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 Straman Dx Convertible
I have a 87 Crx Hf that runs fine... Send pictures of everything you have reconnected and I will try and see if you have inadvertently made a wrong connection. Eric

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You have managed to make the system live and bypassed the ignition. Two things I'd ask. Have you made the connection to the correct fusible link - there are options.. And the white/green wire from hazards is what?

Regarding the relocation, make sure you have bare metal where you do the earth. You can't rely on a bolt thread.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

87CRX_HF

• Granny
  • Pip
Is it possible that I have blown the ignition switch? I never personally had ignition problems b4. When I relocated the battery I assume the bolt thread was not good enough from the seat mount. I have typically used it as a ground in the past. Now Im positive the battery and cables are hooked back up to thei normal places, There is not a haynes manual or chiltons in this town available no could i find a schematic online. So if someone could possibly take a picture of there battery compartment that would be great!

87CRX_HF

• Granny
  • Pip
The white green wire is the hazard light wire, thats what i got from crx community..they said it directly hooks up to positive terminal of battery.

87CRX_HF

• Granny
  • Pip
indyman, I just saw your post, I will get you pictures asap! I appreciate the time guys.. Great forum!!

Edited by 87CRX_HF, 09 November 2012 - 10:15 AM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
RWD drag cars put the battery way in the back to get more weight over the drive wheels. For turning corners you want any lump of weight as low and as centered as possible. I have my battery on the floor behind the passenger's seat. I found that one half of an old set of jumper cables provides enough wire gauge to get the juice up to the engine compartment.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

koshir

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: CRX 86' and 91' :: JAZZ 08'
no problems on my car with baterry in the back, you just have to ground it in some strong bolt, best is from seat belt (I had it wired temporary on some smaller bolt and it worked fine too).
so you did reconection wrong somewhere, best way of doing something like this is taking lots of photos, every phone has camera now so it's very easy to do that now,
when I did my wire tuck and all el. things on car I always took photos of something important.

koshir

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: CRX 86' and 91' :: JAZZ 08'
if this will help you in any way...
http://img717.images.../imag0035rk.jpg
http://img831.images...3/imag0034x.jpg
http://img689.images.../imag0033bp.jpg
(you can see over all three photos which is bettery + terminal)

87CRX_HF

• Granny
  • Pip
Hey guys, Thanks for all the help and opinions.. I spent 3 days reading out wires, breaking apart harnesses,changing ignition switch, and scratching my head to be stumped by something soo stupid. I dug out the original ground wire from the car and realized the bracket half way up is a bracket to keep the cable out of the way, it grounds it to the chassis. So originally when I relocated battery to back, I had it grounded to seat bolt and a NOGO, then I moved it back to its original position and bolted it straight to its original grounding point on tranny.. But after all this, I realize it must be grounded to tranny and chassis.. FML!! I am an Electronics Tech and and work on multimillion dollar aircraft in the Navy, but got my A$$ kicked by a battery ground! Thanks again for the help guys.. By the way got a hit on OEM rear speaker pods for 90 bucks.. worth it?

patricj

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '86 CRX DX, '95 BMW 325ic, '96 Civic EX, '00 S-10 V-6
    Garage View Garage
If it is to you, do it! I've heard of people spending more, I've heard of people spending less. It helps the overall sound of the car a bit....

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I did something like that. Thought the ground to the valve cover would ground the engine. No - the valve cover is isolated from the engine block by the gaskets and grommets.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
http://www.redpepper...ion#entry498882

I used a Battery cable and distribution post from a BMW. 20 bucks at the Junkyard and very good quailty. They are very abundant at the jy too.

Also, For adding grounds I find it easiest to grab lawnmower starter cables in 4ga from walmart. Pretty cheap, and easy to use for grounding the tranny to the chassis ect ect.

Thanks,

Joseph