Crx Exhaust Muffler Options Sourcing Rebuilt Fabrication

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Apparently, OEM style muffler assemblies are not available. not surprising.

Back in 2000ish, I had purchased 2 Honda OEM Mufflers.  Realized they were discontinued from Honda and pulled them off my cars and placed in storage (ill have original if we ever have any decent car shows in dallas w japanese interest). I was able to source complete muffler/pipe assemblies from Bosal, so when that direction.  I had ordered several of those and now I'm running short.

Called around.  Now I'm down to only one source of a muffler (need to weld in/outlet pipes) closest to the oem style made by AP/Eastern (1x 1.75 center inlet, 2x 1.5 outlet)  Rock Auto has them  P/n 6685 for around $33 and 3517 for around $44.  I called AP tech support.  Both are identical.  The more expensive one is lifetime warranty.  Would have to send it back to RA for a replacement in a few years, assuming AP still would make a replacement. its not worth the $11 warranty and future hassle to me to ship it back, itll go w the non warranty version.

appears our si version is similar to 86-89 acuras. there are other muffler versions (dimensionally) w our 2x outlet and 1 inlet

AP gave me a distributor out of Dallas.  I got in touch w an old school guy (though the distributor) who customizes mufflers wo shortcuts.  He told me Walker is way better.  AP flimsy.....  Said AP bought/pushed out the competition.  So its either AP or make something else work for OE style....

I pulled most of the old muffler assemblies from my attic.   I cut out the in/outlet pipes from those old assemblies w blown out mufflers.  (the old piping has mounting brackets welded to the pipes) I had purchased a Walker 18284 from Orielly's a couple of years ago.  I fit a set of used pipes to the walker muffler and I'm back in business.   I'm going the ugly way, using clamps to hold all three "SI version" pipes together.  If pipes are still usable the next go around, I'll use them by removing the clamps and not have to cut the welds

Apparently 10 years ago, we could get the muffler w the 2 -1.5" tail pipes installed w the one bracket.  Shops would reuse the inlet pipe w that hanger and away we went.

My issue had always been rusting out my mufflers 2-3 year intervals since most of my driving had been around town commuting to work.  Always been a PITA for me keeping w OEM style systems... muffler is so far back, hard to get the moisture created by combustion to burn out

The old school fab shop said I can go w stainless muffler, but it'll be louder.   something ill consider down the road.

Heres what I've done so far...

51815160564_94d7aea1d3_z.jpg

I had bought a Harbor Freight pipe bender a few years back.  Apparently, It doesn't work well for tubing.  I'm in the process of making the modifications to it the other guys on youtube have done to get it to work. I had also bought aluminized straight tubing.  illl have to wait for another time

51813855367_670985091c_z.jpg

Pix of Walker muffler w used piping.  Pipes are just shoved in there for now.  Will use clamps once I"m ready to install it to a car.  I had cut out the pipes off the old mufflers.  used my grinder and dremmel to cut the old piping away.  Surprisingly, most of the old pipes I have were pretty good.

I had parted out the 129K crx a few years ago.  Noted a new system in that car.  They cut the swivel between the cat and manifold, welding it directly to the manifold.  I remember driving it to my barn, hearing the  loud exhaust leaks at the head.  from the engine torque snaping manifold to head bolts...  I had pulled some parts from another CRX at a yard 2 years ago.   Same thing happened there (I had removed a DC Header off the JY car and several bolts were already missing).  So be careful of a muffler shop retrofitting your system.  Make sure you keep that swivel joint near the cat to help w engine movement

i want a solution that will work for the 4 of my cars i expect to keep on the road. i want the piping modular/bolt-on as honda designed for ease of removal and interchangeability between cars. also, a simple way i can rebuild my own systems wo depending on a shop and rising costs. The 129k cars exhaust was welded as a single piece from the header all the way to the exhaust tips. i had to sawz-all the piping to remove it. not a situation i want on my cars for future maintenance.

Good luck!

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Adding chrome tips for stock 1.5” tail pipes.

52580138576_c6539dac30_c.jpg

Bottom left we’re common tips from Tuffy Muffler and Midas back in my 1993 days in Michigan.  Bottom right are Honda NOS.  Top are a set I found out of Cypress.  I’ve been chromeless tips for 20 years now.   Nice to have these back.  Google “150188 SET” if interested.  The Cypress company sells on eBay as well.

52580407869_48765c2489_c.jpgBack side.  Left 1993 aftermarket.   Bolt broke off.  Tuffy welded the tips on when I got the first muller replaced under warranty.  Middle are 150188’s.  Right Honda NOS

52580408464_d606fae935_c.jpgFinished product.  150188’s‹

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Great find!  Chrome looks really nice and the shape looks almost identical!

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Took me awhile google searching to find the tips. did notice a crx sold over past year had same part. Hope the p/n helps the next guy find them easier

i installed the tips last week. took a file and chamfered the OD edge of exhaust tails. Wacked the tips on w block of wood. fit very tight. no chance of rattling. the ID of the tip exit on the chrome tip is an interference tip for 1,5” pipe. if u go w 1.75”, need to trim to fit snug.

the screws weren’t stainless. bought some from home depot in a shorter version. don’t want brush and branches catching it when i’m driving in the woods

will post i pix later
Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Looking forward to pics

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

52673118867_1d866641b9_c.jpg

Tip installation.   I pushed them 1/16” inward so pipes stick out enough for condensate to no settle inside enclosure

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Looks great

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily