Our Planet Is Dying.

• You cannot reply to this topic
38 replies to this topic

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
The impact we are doing to our planet is huge. We eat, we drink, we drive, we dispose of our trash and we go on about our lifes as if it doesnt matter.
It is true that we are comfortable and that in this Country we are able to still live the way we mean to live and we drive the cars we drive and modify them as we please but in the end we do not realize the impact we have on the future and on our planet.
When I learned about Global Warming a few months ago I started doing something about it. I don't do much I havent changed my full lifestyle and I am not going to anytime soon but I am doing something to help.
I started buying bottle beer instead of cans because glass is easier to recycle, I started turning off my lights when I am not in my room and only having the light on in the room I am at the time. I started driving less, I take walks to 7/11 and CVS whenever possible. I started to dispose of my trash properly and reuse my plastic bags, and whenever possible I get paper instead of plastic. You see when plastic is disposed off it stays on the earth it doesnt desintegrade like a leaf or rust like metal or is eaten by microorganisms, it stays in the ground.
I turn off the water when I am shaving or brushing my teeth. I will never use my car without a catalytic converter again. I try to save energy for myself and for others. I try to buy more organic foods from companies that practice safe handling of resources. I dont cut trees or bushes. Dont spill oil.
I havent changed my full life but I am doing little by little to at least change 25%. If we all gave that little to help our planet imagine the good we will be doing to our children. We owe our children to leave them a clean safe planet that they can live in and raise their children.

Dont let this post die. Lets make an impact to help.

What are you doing to help?

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
I too believe in making these small changed to affect the lives of my children...

hence why i choose to do the same things as posted above but also other things...like i have a worm farm to recycle my food scraps and for the driving thing if im going to the shops (like for example soft drink) ill walk the whole 7k's to the shop just to save mother earth that tiny little bit wink.gif
QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
OK, let's be totally accurate. The planet is not "dying." The climate is changing, we are consuming it's carbon fuels and we are generally making a mess of things. But this rock we cling to has a couple billion more years left.

Being an American (5% of the world's population consuming some huge percentage of the resources) I suppose some token changes on my part can only help.

- I have changed out nearly all my incandecant lights for CFLs.
- I have been recycling since before any of the current crops of Greens were born.
- I walk.
- My '07 Civic Si Sedan is LEV certified (My 1st gen CRX is a "gross polluter" according to the state of California).
- I think good thoughts about our environment.

However.

Climate change has been with us for a long time. Remember the Ice Age? Climate change is part of the design for the World. Shit Happens.

Yeah, we are speeding it up some and it is tough on Polar Bears, corral reefs and people who live in low-lying regions. But the increase in Global Warming will melt the Polar Ice Caps and that will in turn free up more fresh water, and more fresh water can not be bad, right?

So yeah, let's all do our part. Every little bit helps. But posting on the internet is not going to do a damn thing.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
I car pool with ppl if that helps
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
I apologize for the whole in the ozone caused by my CR-X. If the dual carbs weren't bad enough its got all the emissions equipment removed. All jokes aside I agree with others concerns but I think the biggest step we can take is to move away from fossil fuels, unfortunatly the petrolium industry will fight that effort for as long as it can.

Julian

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Super_Cricket @ Oct 29 2007, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I learned about Global Warming a few months ago I started doing something about it.

Do you mean you only learned about global warming a few months ago!? Or do you mean you only started doing something a few months ago!?

If you only learned about it a few months ago, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS?? That being said, maybe that is part of the problem, if people don't know there's a problem, how are they supposed to fix it?

I'm no tree hugger. I will openly admit my favourite pass time (Racing) is directly bad for the environment. However, I do recycle, conserve water and energy at home, compost my food waste and try to be generally as green as possible.

I'm hoping the good I am doing outweighs the bad! In the grand scheme of things, I conserve EVERY day and I only race let's say 10 to 15 weekends a year. I think that's a pretty decent effort.

biggrin.gif

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

oldrexer

• Gonna go Sith
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99 Q45T, 90 E250, 94 Aerostar, 87 Crx Si, 73 Krager Kustom Koach,68 BMW 1600, Vista FV, Margay Brava KT-100, 77 KZ650B, 72 Raleigh Professional, 66 Schwinn Panther, etc.
WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY OFF TOPIC> mods?????

RedSIBaron

• buford's problem child
  • PipPip
so as not to step on too many toes, ill refrain from conflict and arguing about this, this is all im going to say...the picture of "global warming" that al gore presents is extremely innaccurate and not quite the way the planet works...YES we do create greenhouse gasses, and pollute water and hurt duckies...but we do not accellerate global warming to the degree they make it out, global warming is a natural process that just happens, the amount of actual green house gasses that we can produce in a year is NOTHING on a large scale, a single volcanic erruption can produce more greenhouse gasses then we can produce in 100 years...its a documented process...the planet warms and it builds up stress and pressure (essentially) and then what will happen is the climate will snap back to global cooling, ITS A PLANET, part of the reason its sustained life for so long is that the planet has an equalibrium that balances out the system...if we stress the planet out too much, it'll just kill us and go on its marry little way...

if you are concerned for the eviroment the thing you ACTUALLY have to do is remember is we can polute the soil with the oils and chemicals we dump, we can also polute the oceans and water, we can kill off species of animals...humans destroy organisms and habitats...there is a hole in the ozone, yes, there are actually quite a few...we made 1 bigger...there have always been small gaps in the ozone layer, but certain chemicals (which have been outlawed) will harm the ozone...thats what we are doing (oh yah) and we are producing smog, which affects our own habitats (cities) more than anything...emissions from cars creates smog, but in regards to a global warming eviromental impact, cars arent as bad for it, especially with all the LEVs and the fact htey have CATS on them...here in ohio they re-evaluated whether or not our emissions testing was doing anything and they found that after, i believe, 10 years? maybe it was 15...first time i remember going to e-check was in bufords dodge daytona when i was around 7 i think...either way, after that period of time, they found that the testing had pretty much no enviromental impact...so they got rid of it...

this is purely the view on the situation that i have observed and research over the last 5 to 10 years...this was all based on scientific research that i have read...if you do not agree thats ok, and if you've read differently than thats fine too...im not going to argue about this...this topic is a VERY sensative one because there is so much conflicting research...im still keeping an open mind, but im staying skeptical (though i dont believe the problem is as bad as the media makes it out to be) im still doing my part...hell i drive an 02 si...ive heard of guys passing emissions without a cat on one...i dont polute, and i recycle...i also dispose of my oil properly...theres only so much that each of us can do at this point...

oh and hybrids are a sham, drive a 3g/1g biggrin.gif recycle and get better gas mileage

Edited by RedSIBaron, 29 October 2007 - 08:42 AM.

just have the 87 1G crx and an f150 now...womp womp
-Charles McCusker-

Vicious

QUOTE (RETROCRX @ Oct 29 2007, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean you only learned about global warming a few months ago!? Or do you mean you only started doing something a few months ago!?

If you only learned about it a few months ago, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS?? That being said, maybe that is part of the problem, if people don't know there's a problem, how are they supposed to fix it?

I'm no tree hugger. I will openly admit my favourite pass time (Racing) is directly bad for the environment. However, I do recycle, conserve water and energy at home, compost my food waste and try to be generally as green as possible.

I'm hoping the good I am doing outweighs the bad! In the grand scheme of things, I conserve EVERY day and I only race let's say 10 to 15 weekends a year. I think that's a pretty decent effort.

biggrin.gif

Rob

he probably found out cuz he saw gore's movie laugh.gif i still can't believe he got a noble for simply telling everyone it's hot out dry.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
Well we (Hubby and I) are going to do more.. we have already changed out our lights for cfl's and LED's, we keep our rides tuned, our big truck runs on propane..

BUT!

We are moving soon, sellin the house! Were moving out to the acreage into a Park model trailer... No jokes pls.

It's all about downsizing, We waste so much energy in this house it makes me cringe to think about it. Were heating up rooms we never use, and stuff we never use. So were getting rid of the stuff we never use and moving into a smaller domicile.

When we are all moved into the new place we will be investing in renewable energy production for our new home by way of solar and wind generation. We have been doing alot of research on the subject.. I'm not saying were going off-the-grid.. just leaving a smaller energy footprint with the option of going off-grid if need be. Eventually we would like to ween ourselves off grid power as much as we can because the place we are retiring to, the power company is american owned (Up in Nakusp British Columbia) and they don't maintain the infrastructure very well and their rates are high. Not to mention using less grid power is better for the environment.

Were going to start composting when we get out there as well.. seeing as the area does not have garbage pickup.. and our dog is getting to old to do the job...

And if Honda would let me have one of those spiffy new Acura diesel drivelines I'd swap it into my 3G and run it on biodiesel.. I'm not even trying to joke or be funny. I'll have the means to be able to setup my own home scale proccessing/refinery in the spring, I just need the drive train to swap into my car. 3G Civic Turbo Diesel that I make the gas for in my own back yard!!! But for now I have to settle for swapping in a smaller engine (till I get the other one rebuilt)

Even better would be a diesel hybrid drivetrain... But I'm getting off topic here. laugh.gif

We recycle our used computer parts as much as humanly possible, by reusing/repurposing them over and over then giving them away to people that are less fortunate and need the parts.

Most of the stuff we have, like cars, trucks, fridges, stoves, washer/dryer, furniture, building materials etc, etc are and have been used before we got them.

The only vehicle we have that was bought new is the jeep.. and that was in 1988, and it still looks and runs like new.

Were not ever going to be totally green, sorry.. I'm not about to shit in a bag and recycle it or any of that other over the top BS, but I will try to do my part to the best of my abilities, within reason.

I wish more people took this climate change seriously.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
First off:
I did Post this under general post and not under off topic because I consider this very much on topic. The impact we make on our planet is directly related to the decisions we make.
Second:
I did know that we were causing problems to our planet but I found out exactly what I could do about it and it wasnt from Al Gore's Movie.
Third:
I feel sorry for the ones among us that do not believe that we are the cause of the problem. Do you think its just coincidence that in the past 2 decades the problem has increased exponentially and so has the population and the number of vehicles on the road? Do you think its a coincidence that the ice caps are melting and that at the same time trees are being cut and burned to make space for farm Land? I dont think it is much of a coincidence but what do I know I am just one person.

"never understimate the power of ignorance"

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm not saying it's not a worthy discussion, I do agree there is a problem, and we do as much as we can in our household. I moved the topic because it is 'off-topic' for the general posts forum.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

RedSIBaron

• buford's problem child
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Super_Cricket @ Oct 29 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off:
I did Post this under general post and not under off topic because I consider this very much on topic. The impact we make on our planet is directly related to the decisions we make.
Second:
I did know that we were causing problems to our planet but I found out exactly what I could do about it and it wasnt from Al Gore's Movie.
Third:
I feel sorry for the ones among us that do not believe that we are the cause of the problem. Do you think its just coincidence that in the past 2 decades the problem has increased exponentially and so has the population and the number of vehicles on the road? Do you think its a coincidence that the ice caps are melting and that at the same time trees are being cut and burned to make space for farm Land? I dont think it is much of a coincidence but what do I know I am just one person.

"never understimate the power of ignorance"

so where exactly did you get your information...did you look at the fact that the icecaps have been melting since the last iceage? the icecaps are formed from iceages which are a climate snap response from warming and greenhouse gassess...i want your perspective instead of histerrical yelling...this isnt fox news there's no need for hysterical hype in an intelligent topic...

im not trying to attack or argue, im trying to open this topic up to a more fact based discussion...where are numbers, dont give me coincidence...this is a scientific topic and that is the way in which it should be treated...this isnt psychology or sociology, this can be based on hard science, and id like to see those types of numbers and facts, proven information, no heresay...

question...have you thought about how much green house gass the fires in california created? yes i know they say they were arson, but they could just as easily been started by a lightning strike...

Edited by RedSIBaron, 29 October 2007 - 01:03 PM.

just have the 87 1G crx and an f150 now...womp womp
-Charles McCusker-

DarkHand

We're not killing the planet... Nothing us little bugs can muster can even make the planet flinch. What we're doing is screwing the planet up for ourselves... The planet, and life itself will be just fine and dandy with no icecaps, an average temperature far hotter than now, radiation in the air, whatever you can think of. It's us, and the particular environment we like to live in that we have to worry about.

Humans are selfish by nature... If we'd flip the viewpoint around like that more people would take notice.

Edited by DarkHand, 29 October 2007 - 02:34 PM.

DarkHand

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
eliminate all the COWS..