2000 replies to this topic

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (kakabox @ Sep 30 2005, 11:33 PM)
Thumbs up on the civy w/the '89 d16a1...that's my goal.  On the electronic dizzy...did you use the 'teg's ECU and harness or did you rewire the civic harness?  I'm thinking using the 'teg's ECU and complete harness would be the preferred way to go...?

Cheers

i used the entire 89 integra harness up front, and spilced it into the civic rear harness for the back lights, wiper, fuel pump etc

your car is comming along great!
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Oct 22 2005, 06:17 PM)
i used the entire 89 integra harness up front, and spilced it into the civic rear harness for the back lights, wiper, fuel pump etc

your car is comming along great!

I'll keep that in mind when I do the swap...thanks for the kind words!

Cheers.

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Today was a beautiful day in Seattle: dry, highs in the low 70's...just great! A perfect day to spend at the local Pull-A-Part...in fact, I skipped my ax club's "Common Car" (one car, club members compete for ftd; this year it was a rental, V6 auto, '05 Mustang) championship just to pull some key parts for the KAKABOX build!

See, I know the Monsoon season will soon be upon us, and I knew that there was still an '86 CRX HF and '87 'teg still languishing around the yard, so, I opted to pull parts in the dry and warmth rather than chase cones!

Here's what three hours of rolling around in anti-freeze and tranny oil rendered:

...four Mazda Protege 14 x 5.5 wheels (27 lbs/ea including tire) $15.50 ea.; two 'old school' GTI 14 x 6 wheels (33 lbs/ea including tire) $15.50 ea.; r & lhs '87 'teg knuckles & hubs, $21; a 1g CRX HF steering rack, $27 (inclds $5.50 core charge); r & lhs '87 'teg radius arms (for ~1 deg neg static camber), $23.00; an '87 'teg shifter & linkage, $19; and a 'teg throttle cable and bracket, $5.50

The Protege wheels were a good find for me. I can usually only find one, two, or three alloy wheels of the same kind at the Pull-A-Part (the GTI wheels are a case in point). I got lucky w/the Mazda: I pulled all four off the same car! They're amazingly light (5 lbs. lighter than the GTI wheel w/tire), although only 5.5" in width. They should work fine w/a 195 55-14 street tire though. I'll have to enlarge the hub bore 2mm since it's a Mazda 54.1mm ID as opposed to the Honda's 56.1mm. I'll keep looking for two more 14x6 GTI Snowflake wheels and probably use those for 'R' compound tires when the time comes.

So, I'm under the CRX HF, trying to remove the steering rack...I finally had enough of the rocks/car debris poking me in the back...I went to the car next to me (Camry), pulled out the rear seat cushion (which was protruding out of the windshield opening of all places), and slid that under the 'rex to lay on...man, I could've fallen asleep under there it was so comfortable! Worked so well, I carried to the 'teg to use!

...I've always wanted to lay on the sofa and work on cars! rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

Edited by kakabox, 16 April 2006 - 02:15 AM.

mesean13

• Ohne Scheiss.Somewhere in Germany.
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87'civicsi (ZC1)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Are you going to use the teg. brakes and M.C. as well. When you getting the motor,tranny,axels? You don't want to do it when it gets cold, trust me. I got the whole thing in my gallery if you want to see. I got my zc(browntop) out of an edm crx in the snow and it sucked.

Edited by mesean13, 23 October 2005 - 01:15 PM.

Think before you speak, learn before you think, listen so that you may learn to think before speaking a bunch of shit!

No fried rice please!

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
nice score on the hf steering rack and the miata wheels!

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
mesean13:
Yeah, I hear you about pulling parts outside in the cold...or rain. I saw your gallery pics of the snow covered junkyard, brrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'll try to avoid that, but, if the right parts are there, I'll have to do what I have to do!

I'll probably use '88-'89 Civic DX or CRX Si calipers & rotors for now: same 48mm piston diameter as the 3g Si, but w/longer pads (113mm vs. 94mm). The 1g 'teg calipers have slightly larger diameter pistons (51mm). By using calipers w/the same piston diameters, the pedal travel & frt/rear biasing should be the same as the stock 3g Si...and this way I don't have to change the mc. Two weeks ago, from the same CRX HF that I got the rack from, I scored the rear axle along with the aluminum drum brakes...I'll be using the alum drums in the rear. So, no need to change the proportioning valve (that I know about) either.

I missed pulling the 'tegs axles by a day...someone else got to them. I haven't sourced a viable '88-'89 d16a black top engine/tranny/harness/ecu yet. I'm looking ph34r.gif !

GIFF:
Thanks...after pillaging the HF for it's rear axle/brakes, I came back for the rack! Poor thing, it doesn't have anything more to give! The Mazda wheels are off a Protege, although they look similar to the later seven spoke Miata's. They're at least as light.

Cheers.

bad@ssracer

as far as i know u wont have to change the center bore on those protoge wheels. i put a sent on my friends 90 prelude si and the fit snuglly up against the hub. just my .02
The Race Is Short , But The Victory Is Sweet

user posted image
^^definate hottie^^

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bad@ssracer @ Oct 24 2005, 01:01 AM)
as far as i know u wont have to change the center bore on those protoge wheels. i put a sent on my friends 90 prelude si and the fit snuglly up against the hub. just my .02

I tested them on a 3g Civic in the yard before I bought them...no go! The wheels will not fully seat against the hub. Although I haven't personally measured them, they're listed: http://www.grmotorsp...7c9e53e9#124179 as having a 54.1mm bore vs. the 3g's 56.1. That silly 2mm difference is a pita!

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The sunroof replacement project is finished and the KAKABOX is now sporting a toupee and a whole new attitude!

Forty-eight aluminum rivets hold the .093" acrylic panel onto the roof. A continuous bead of 3M Strip-Calk seals the panel to the roof at the fastener line w/another bead of strip-calk around the edge of the sunroof cutout. On the underside, where the rivets protrude, I’ve sealed the ends w/brushable seam sealer. I’m hoping for no leaks…we’ll see!

Cheers! cool.gif

Edited by kakabox, 16 April 2006 - 02:20 AM.

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
that looks really clean. good job.

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
nice..
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (kakabox @ Oct 22 2005, 11:46 PM)
So, I'm under the CRX HF, trying to remove the steering rack...I finally had enough of the rocks/car debris poking me in the back...I went to the car next to me (Camry), pulled out the rear seat cushion (which was protruding out of the windshield opening of all places), and slid that under the 'rex to lay on...man, I could've fallen asleep under there it was so comfortable!  Worked so well, I carried to the 'teg to use! 

...I've always wanted to lay on the sofa and work on cars!  rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

haha i always do that at the pick a part here smile.gif comes in very handy, or you can use the trunk carpets as well.

are there any integra 5 speed transmissions there? might be worth it for me to drive down if they are a good deal
EXPLOSIVO!
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Oct 24 2005, 05:38 PM)
are there any integra 5 speed transmissions there? might be worth it for me to drive down if they are a good deal

Yes, the '87 'teg I pillaged for the knuckles/spindles/lwr radius arms and shift linkage still has it's rear disc brake axle (no calipers however), 5-speed tranny and a partial long block (lots of eng parts missing).

Pull A Part
18306 Hwy 99
Lynnwood, WA
425-778-3147

They're changing to Winter hours on Sunday...9-5pm, 7 days a week.

Cheers.

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
thanks man.. any ideas on prices and how many miles are on it?
EXPLOSIVO!
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

C8V6C

^i threw most of mine away too....

Im lovin the red for some reason....i love black cars, but ive had my eye on a few red cars recently....

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg