My Drag Car Is Getting A New Start

• You cannot reply to this topic
531 replies to this topic

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
for you that like to read from the begining. i have fixed or fixing the missing pics. and added and changed the first post.

well the car started as a 1987 civic hatchback dx d13a1 hondamatic.

this is what i want or need to do to the car:

exterior
mugen paint done
si tail ights done
mud flap removal done
fix header panel done
hood done
bumpers done
gas flap done
rear glass done
rear wiper removal
licene plate mod done

interior
std pedals done
dash done
carpet done
seats done
panels done
mirror
tilt steering done
cluster done
1500S back seat done

suspention
front illuminas done
rear illuminas done
1.5" lowering springs done

brakes
front vented rotors done
caliper braket,pads done
new rear drums,shoes done
third brake light removed done

engine
rebuild all but tranny done
tbelt done
alt belt done
water pump done
seals done
gaskets done
pnp head done
valves,seals,guides, springsdone
thermostat done
hoses done
bore done
shave done
pistons done
rod boltsdone
ringsdone
crank mild grind done
baringsdone
flywheel done
sencers done
clutch done
stage 2 tri cam done
devac carb done
turbo 50% done
i/c 50% done
boost gague 50% done

i have started the change from auto to std.
i started with the parts car so i didnt mess anything up. getting the pedels off werent that hard.
take steering wheel/assm to first knuckle off for easy access.
then take off the 4 nuts holding the master c to the pedels then the 5th holding them to the frame of car. undo the cotter pin on the brake pedel to get the m.c off push it out of the way. pop the white clip holing the accelerator cable then take off the accelerator cable. for the clutch undo the nut holding it on to the assmbly so you can slide it off and down out off the clutch cable. then undo the fuse box for the right nut ,then just pull the pedels all out. thats the easy part.
same steps for the auto but the accererator hookup is diff its a dubble cable so you have to pop both out and its tight for space.

to put in the std in the auto you need to get the cables all setup in the firewall first. so starting with the clutch cable pop the hole cover on the firewall and feed it though from the engine bay. easy. the accelerator. you have to twist counterclockwise to pop the cables off the firewall and back on.
then its just reverse steps to install

also i found the brake pedel sener was diff so i had to chagne this too.

what it looked like when i bought it
the car with no plate is the car

87Hf'er

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Hf
Pics????

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
Lets see pics!1

having a wider auto tranny brake pedal would be cool on a 5 spd

makes me think of when i got some speed coming up my driveway then went to slam on the brake a clutch but hit the GAS AND CLUTCH ph34r.gif

my poor engine let out what was liek a high pitched scream ph34r.gif

10,000 rpm laugh.gif
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
update: well i had 8 hours today to work on it again so this is what was done.

i swaped out the dx rotors and brackets ete and put on my 1500S brackes (vented). while doing this on the pass side i went to put my wight into a rusted bolt, and the knuck was moving i called my dad over (hes striping down the parts car) and turned out my ball joint was shot. so i had to replace that also. just a note its hard to replace those with out the right tools. so i finished the swap over. then my dad started the back brakes, well thier rusted and nothing left of the shoes hence no ebrake. so swap them over and setup brakes. not so hard.

i then did the wiper arm and spindels i had a pic but computer crashed and lost half the pics. dame. anyway while taking out old ones found 2 bees nests in the cowling old ones but still. swap those out went to put the plastic covers on well there were no screw holes they all were missing so i have to get those off the parts car too. finished that.

then started on the front end. i swaped bumpers because i have fog lights on the other in the frame so its easier, yea right. sort of, i had to change both suports and cross frame turned out the car has been in a front end accednt and the frames werent alining right. but got it going. heres a pic of it finshed.

i also swaped out the black box this one was all burnt and melted.

the rest of the time was striping down the parts car.

but thats all, so far in 3 days. next is interior striping and glass changing then engine swap but the parts car has to get finished first .

Edited by 3gencivic, 10 November 2008 - 02:42 AM.

SlaveSpawn

• 速いロケットはホ
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 何も Mitsu ? Honda Civ. ?
U know what I was thinking of is a heel/toe pedal the pedal has a center pivot push forward gas the center neutral and push down for brake then have ur normal clutch pedal. So it work like a analog stick in Need for Speed Underground 2, Midnight Club 2 It help alot on hills so u dont roll when its tight since ppl like to ride ur ass now adays.

Just thinking of diff things. I really like the CVT though wish I could slap one in out of a fit but....there r custom built CVT's but at $6800 uh not in my budget right now.

Edited by SlaveSpawn, 11 April 2005 - 12:55 AM.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
just a small update: i got some pics again still lost about half of them. but oh well.
there not much just shows what the car looks like at the moment saturday i will have a blue hood on it though.

im back working and it is raining so its delaying the progress on the strip down of the interior.

heres a link to the pics
pics

Edited by 3gencivic, 17 October 2005 - 02:39 AM.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
yep more updates: got a chance to work a bit after work on the car. but it got late on me for pics. so some turned out oddly. you will see what i mean.

well i took off the windows and seals on the side of the car and found my rust problem so i cleaned it and fixed the rust. i will work on it a bit later too had to get the windows back in its to rain tonight.

then i swaped the hoods its to be a light blue hood it dont look like it in the pic.

also i put the stock carb back on to my 1500S the webber was acting up. and i thought for laughs put it on the 1300 and see what happens since the carb on the engine is toast anyways well to my surprise, she fired up first try and purred like a kitten.

any way heres some pics

Edited by 3gencivic, 10 November 2008 - 02:46 AM.

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
looking good.. so whats up with the wheels on all your cars.. i noticed you like to switch them around.. the SI has just the steel stock rims with hub caps? whats up with that
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ah you notice. well i have a problem of tires balding on me and no cash to buy new tread.

at the moment i have 5 sets and 4 crap one (came on new car)
-the motgei mr7 16x7 are on the crx and getting bald, 1 bent rim (thanks dad)
-the stock crx 14" are on the 86 si they have tread on them but found out after 35bucks that the belts are coming apart cosing the tires to worp and 1 bent rim.
-the white rims that came on the 86 si are all bald and worn to the safty mark on them.
- the set that came on the blue dx 3of4 are bald 4th not far ether.
-my 2 new all seasons are on my moms car till her 2 front bald ones get replaced
-then there are my new steel rims (2) with snow tires on, those are what you saw.

the other 4 tires are all crap some not even honda rims. ones a fireflys size.

Edited by 3gencivic, 04 September 2005 - 01:26 AM.

C8V6C

Owch, rust sucks.....good ole vegas

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
well i got to do some more work to the car also picked up a new heart for it too. a 1500S with 150k on it. i don't think the car will be drag strip ready this year i wont todo to much to it.
here's some more pics

auto with 3 pedels!!!

stick shift??

auto out: a 2 person job 1 under car 1 inside todo the bolts.

start of striping

carpet out

backseat

Edited by 3gencivic, 09 October 2006 - 01:20 AM.

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
lookin good. it seems everyones doing a writeup on their build. i should do one on mine, lol.

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
well i thought after 4 other cars i should do one and this is probably the most in depth one i have done the other one i just did serface stuff.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
well another week and more work done and pics to post.

i got to working on rust spots there mainly just minor ones so i was able to fix them. i first put rust remover on all the spots then i put rust killer on top of that witch also has a primer on it to seal it. then i primed the spots with primer and then painted them its not a pro job but it gets its sealed and looking good. then i put undercoat (like a rubber spray) on to help keep dirt from caletting and rotting out the spot again. i also sprayed along all the frame of the floor, the spare wheel well after i took off the factory stuff. it wighed about 5lbs alone. i also put the 1500S cluster in (no pic)

heres some pics
and links

Edited by 3gencivic, 09 October 2006 - 01:29 AM.

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
nice work.. rip that ugly red interior outta there! smile.gif

looks good. not as much rust as mine, but that rear wheel well looks like it will give in soon.

are you going to leave the interior out of the car? most likely if its a race car right..
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image