I got a crx si

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

EW2racer

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
Hey all new to t he board and just got a 87 crx si. I love this car and cant wait to start modding it (damn weather)
The CRX is black and has 200000kms. So far, only mods to it that have been done are 95 Civic Si seats and a Pioneer Tape Deck. It needs some repairs but I got it for dirt cheap....
Although its hard to tell from the pic, its actually been repainted black. I plan on repainting the whole car because the previous paint job isnt too durable.

I plan on modding the interior and painting some interior pieces red like this car..... Any suggestions on what paint to use? I want something durable. The other thing I will do is weld on a nice exhaust tip, try to get my MOMO wheel to fit, throw on some Acura Integra Type R rims (if I can find them for cheap) and get a nice soundy system and fog lamps. Basically I want my car to look like this....

wink.gif

cya  :)

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Hey man! Nice looking rex!  Did you fix the front end yet? What
colour are you going to paint the exterior? Not too sure on the
interior paint type...All I know is that a buddy of mine sprayed
his whole Rabbit interior black and it smelled like crap for
months after... TypeR rims are 5bolt, so no luck there, unless
you find 1G JDM TypeR rims which came in 4bolt, super rare
and $$$$.
But there are other Honda rims that are sweet - SiR, GSR, Hx.

Goodluck with the project.

JAKOB
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
1st gen type r rims? Do they look exactly the same as the ITR 98 ones? Yeah type r rims in the US don't fit because of  the 5 bolt pattern. Nice deal man

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
Even though the older ITR rims have 4 bolts pattern, it is different from the CRX. The CRX has a 4x100 pattern and the ITR has 4x114.3.....still a no-go...

Good luck with your project!

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
lol i was just going to post that. Heres a link on Ebay for a set with other items to go swap the JDM ITR rims.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....y=33748

xxxghostone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (boman @ Jan. 29 2003,12:44)
...All I know is that a buddy of mine sprayed
his whole Rabbit interior black and it smelled like crap for
months after...

off topuic but some advice
NEVER USE A AIR FRESHENER NAMED SPACE COMMANDER...
one of my freinds bought it wilewe were on a trip to vegas and  he used it it on my freinds car... a few drops and the car was doomed... for 5 years  it smelled horrible  even after he stripped the car

EW2racer

• Granny
  • Pip
OK so type R rims are out of the question, ill go with some aftermarket ones. Basicaly I'm looking for white rims because it will go well with the black.

Im painting the exterior black.... Im picking up the headlight, grille, and fender soon which are red, so ill just paint the whole car because I can get it done for cheap. Ive always wanted a black one and changing the color would be a lot of work. I started her today and it runs fine but it is a bit unrespionsive at times, meaning when I press the accelerator suddenly the car takes a long time to rev up. May just need a tune up. It kinda sounds like its bogging down or its running on a rich carb. (even though it has FI)

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Nice car - same year and color as mine!  You mentioned the seat were converted to 95 Civic Si seats...can you share how that was done?

Kirk

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
A tune up/oil change would be a definite first step. Could be the O2 that's gone, but do the easy/cheap stuff first. As for the rims, the ones in the pic above are not Type R rims. You could conceivably convert to 5 lug, but it would take a lot of work. Just get a set of white Rota's or something like that. Don't get them that big though, they look silly, IMNSHO. 15" is a good size for the 1G.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

86crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
just curious, but what size wheels r in the pics. i like...........
it looks like a good  balance between them.

sk8lilbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX SI
Thos rims are TOOO big for my taste. I'd say go for 15s. Wheelmax.com usually has sweet deals on rims and tires. As for the sound system, how big do you plan on going? For my listening i love my 12IDQ. Its got great sq and low extension and is very musical but will also put out ALOT of sound for the price. For paint id do base coat clear coat. I used PPG on my car and it seems to be doing ok except on my front lip but thats because its sagging and i smash it into the snow all the time.

EW2racer

• Granny
  • Pip
I have  no clue how the SI seats were installed because the previous owner had done the modification. Ill take a look at the mounting and see how its done.

As for the sound system, behind the seats there is a small plastic compartment (for storage i guess) I want to remove this plastic compartment and install some speakers iinto there since I am on a tight budjet could I use regular speakers from a home steroe? If i fitted two in there it would sound nice, what other equipment would I need.

Another thing I noticed is while taking it for a drive up the lane the car has very little low end power. I guess thats how hondas are but this car has no low end at all. It may be because it needas a tuneup, not sure. Once it hits 3-4000rpm its like it just got some NOS. I will replace the spark plugs and clean out the throttle body, and check out the O2 sensor.
Another thing is the 2nd gear synchro is worn, the gears grind when shifting into 2nd. So I guess ill have to replace that and ill replace the bearings while im at it. The clutch seems ok though it does seem to slip under hard acceleration in second gear. The parking brake light will not go out even after ive released the parking brake. Any ideas?
Didnt do much to the car today except I welded on my chrome exaauhst tip and fixed the rear wiper.  ???

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Parking brake cables are commonly rusted up and need replacing :
To check this you will need to remove the rear tires and center console between the seats and have someone pull the hand brake off/on to see if they are moving and also check the rear brakes while you have the rear tires off.
I think the switch for the parking light on the dash is located under that center console between the seats.

Doodson

EW2racer

• Granny
  • Pip
I might be getting 2 KICKER SOLIC-BARIC SUB WOOFERS for the crx.
Im also looking in the near future for a donor Acura Integra so I can swap the motor and brakes.

Gasoline Fumes

QUOTE (EW2racer @ Jan. 29 2003,19:31)
The parking brake light will not go out even after ive released the parking brake. Any ideas?

Have you checked your brake fluid level?