Red 86 Crx, Last Driven In 91

• You cannot reply to this topic
41 replies to this topic

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

Congratulations...hang in there, you're almost there! I look forward to hearing about your first "driving" experience.

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Congratulations...hang in there, you're almost there! I look forward to hearing about your first "driving" experience.

Agreed - keep at it until you are driving it!  Your smiles will be your reward for your diligence.   :)

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF Auto

Thanks, guys. Hopefully, I am 1 starter away from it. Already ordered it from Amazon, should arrive Saturday. Hopefully, I can get it running that day. Can't wait to drive it, I used to own a 1989 right-hand drive first gen vagovan at some point in my life, before moving to US. That was fun, and I still miss it sometimes.

With 60K miles on it and sitting since 1991 I am a bit worried about the timing belt, thinking I should probably change it soon. Once I will get it running, the next step would be full tuneup: tranny fluid change with Honda original, timing belt, water pump, rotor cap, wires, plugs...

Edited by Georgeous, 26 April 2018 - 08:31 AM.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Got the new starter installed, the car cranks runs for like 2 seconds and dies. Further troubleshooting also shows that one of the previous owners messed with the float adjuster bolt. It's marked with paint from factory, so I tried to bring it to the marked position. But still no luck running it for more than 2-3 seconds.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The saga continues... I got to the float chamber again, as I realized that I can get to the jets and their passages from there. Cleaned the chamber up once again, took out the jets, cleaned up passages and jets. I got the car running. I could not get it to idle first, had to keep it at revs, then it got to idle.

And then the oil light came on! Funny thing is that as you start the car, the light is off, then as it runs for about 30 seconds to a minute, the light comes on.

I did replace oil and filter as I got the car. Then it flooded with gas and I drained oil and gas mixture, but I left the old (new) filter and just put in new oil. Could it be the cause?

I also saw some liquid under the car, seems like coolant, as it's light green. But it could be water too, as car set for months, and past week it's been raining almost every day. I saw no more leaks as I looked under the car later on... Coolant seems to be there...

I would appreciate any advice on the oil light however. Don't want to run the engine without lubrication and destroy it.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I used oil flush and have replaced oil and filter, and this solved the problem of the oil light.

Now, I am down to carburetor issues. I still don't have a stable idle, and the car doesn't rev higher than 3k under throttle, as soon as I stop tapping on the gas pedal car stalls. Float level seems good now, jets were cleaned, not sure what this is.

Car still has old spark plugs and wires from 1991, I guess I can try replacing those now, along with the air filter.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

When the engine will not rev past 3000 rpm is there a fog or gas vapor above the carburetor?

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Nope, no fog or vapor, but there is a hissing sound as I step on the gas.

I have replaced spark plugs and wires yesterday, but this didn't help. Cap and rotor are coming next. Tgen I guess I will have everything ruled out and will take the carb off for rebuild...

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

Well no fog or gas vapor above the carburetor rules out a partially clogged catalytic converter.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thank you kindly for all the help guys! I couldn't fight it anymore and sold the car. I just got really tired of buying and doing something every time with hopes of getting it running and every time something else pops up and the car is not drivable again. Oil light came back on again, and I just didn't want to rebuild the carb and replace the head gasket. So, I sold the car.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

d'oh...who is the new owner?

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Some happy guy from southern NJ, don't think that he is from rpr.