85 Si Stripped Head Bolt Block

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

CoritoCrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 Crx Si, 91 Crx DX
I have an 85 Si that I'm restoring, while putting the new head on & torquing 2 spec, the middle head bolt stripped! Upon removal of said bolt the old heli coil came out with it, so needless 2 say I do NOT want 2 repair it with another heli coil. A friend told me about "TimeSerts" & that that was the way 2 go! I'm wondering if any of u members had this similar situation & how u handled it? Thanks in advance 4 any help! (It's not the acutal BOLT but the block itself that stripped)

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
2 other options:

-Drill and tap for a larger bolt
-Drill larger, tap it, fill with JB weld, re drill and tap to original spec.

I'd probably drill and tap for a larger bolt.

Just be sure to measure the depth of the hole and mark the drill bit so you don't drill deeper than original.

CoritoCrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
That's an idea, thanks Euphoric! What do u think about installing a head stud on just the one hole that's stripped?

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Realistically, same shit, different pile. It really makes no difference which you chose as long as you have clearance for the nut on top. I don't recall off hand how confined the seating surfaces are in there.
The stud will probably be less likely to strip in the block since it won't be turning and the block end usually has a coarser thread.

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
installing a head stud wont work , the stud wont be long enough. I had this same problem about 5 years ago and after a couple heli coils and thread repair shit i gave up and got a new block.
05192012083.jpg

CoritoCrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Ok guys thanks I appreciate the help! I just got done rebuilding the block 2! :(

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si NH-94M
    Garage View Garage
There are Heli-Coils or KeenSerts that are solid, drill & tap to larger size, install solid KeenSert, then tap a new hole in the solid KeenSert, reckon a threaded piece of bar stock could also be used with lock-tite. Depends how much material is available in the block casting around the area of the stripped hole. Bummer dude to just have a block re-done and strip a hole during the re-assembly.
If it's got wheels or tatas, it's gonna consume time and money

redsautorehab

• 3gen enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 00 Dodge Durango, 01 Ford F250, 99 Chevy Tracker, 82 suzuki rm250
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Timeserts are the way to go. I have repaired many messed up threads on engines, and never had an issue with them, but I have had several issues with helicoils. You can buy timesert kits on ebay, but you need to know the size that you need.
"You play hard to get, I play hard to get rid of" Fez, That 70's Show

my website if you need parts for your car, and i don't have them at on my website, just pm me. I can get most of the common parts for our cars.

my vouch thread

1styearSI

• first year SI
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 civic SI SOLDI, 92 accord ex SOLD,84 yamaha virago 95 FIREBIRD FORMULA RAM AIR,2014 civic lx
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i would put a new d-series in,i think rebuilding a ew is a waste of time and money.
hasport has a d-sreies mount kit now

CoritoCrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks everyone 4 the info I really appreciate it! I called TimeSerts but they only have the kit 4 the 88-91 Crx & they don't know if it will work with my 85 Si? I know there r subtle differences in both engines but does anyone know if the head bolts & thread depth is different as well? Thanks!

AgWrench

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86crx(kid's project), '86 hf (si conversion, now my project), 95cav,minivan
Keensert, anti-seize bolt threads.

CoritoCrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Good news, I ordered the head bolt repair kit from Time Serts, had a shop install them & it's fixed! If anyone has this problem in the future, Time Serts is the way 2 go! Thanks 4 all the responses & help from everyone!

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
I agree Timeserts over all. I've Used heli coils and even gone so far as to weld holes and re drill and tap. Nothing is as simple as a Timesert kit. We use them at my work on a regular basis.

Glad you got it all worked out!!!