• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Im down to help out somehow! Nobody wants to loose this site!

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

C8V6C

QUOTE (rpr @ Jan 15 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would really prefer to move to a dedicated site, the shared hosting just isn't working out. The cheapest dedicated server at Lunarpages is $99/month, which is way too much.

So all we need to do is get $100mo total for the site (divided up from all the active members or whoever wants to contribute), and we can have a fast server and (almost) unlimited gallery?

I would be down to throw $50 a year for the site for the gallery alone on my end.

I think the gallery should be setup for a one time fee of $20, or a yearly fee of $20 or something like that. Non paying members should not get a gallery.

Once the site is switched and the gallery is back up, I'll shoot over the money immeditately.

Let us know Tom.

-Shawn

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I'm down. wink.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Hummer H2
    Garage View Garage
A donation should be just that - something you give because you want to and expect nothing in return.

A subscription is something else and you should get something for that.

I am not sure what is the right thing or best thing to do here. I know that the manuals are a big plus and I would like to see them eventually be put back online. Galleries are good too. However, I am not sure a monthly fee is the right way to go. That is something Tom will need to decide. Realistically I could put a lot of pics on a site for $5 a month. One example is 300GB storage space with 3,000 GB/month bandwidth for only $2.95/month for up to two years (pre-payment plan of $70.80) before the price increases - http://www.ehost.com...uct/onePlan.bml . I imagine there are better plans out there but that is just an example.

As for the thermometer, yeah it would be a neat visual but I am not sure it would encourage me to give more. Personally I don't require an accounting of what it costs to run the site and what the financial status is. It may disclose personal information than Tom does not want to make public. Again, this is something Tom will need to decide. I know what it costs to keep a site online and how much time it takes to administer.

I do think that it would be generous of those that are merchants to give a small percentage of their profits from items sold through this site to Tom. I mean even eBay isn't free. I really doubt the site is in danger of shutting down. But with the restrictions the host places on CPU usage we can expect it not to be as rich in features as it previously was.

Donations may be great at first when people are giving but after a while that revenue stream will dry up and whoever Tom has for a host will still continue to bill him. He needs something that will provide a continuous revenue stream that is equal to, or greater than his expenses. And eventually we will all begin to feel a little tapped out if it comes down to just a handful of people who contribute time and time again.

Okay...I'm getting down off my soapbox. I just wanted to throw those points out there for consideration.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I like the FS section only for contributing members and a portion of all sales going to the site.

I also like the small start up fee for the gallery and also only for contributing members. I have pictures in the gallery that are irreplaceable to me and would like to get them.

I will gladly do this and more, I see lots of good ideas in this thread if we can just get a few that will work and not chase off new members.

I'm here for life so you can count me in. Life without the possability of parole.
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, EW4, Stock as I can make her.
Couple ideas:

1) Thermometers are overused and nonspecific. Let's get a gas gauge.

2) The simple way to track donations is to have the contributing member status expire after X days, automatically downgrading nonpaying members from contributing member to member status.

3) Galleries should definitely be paid for. I don't need one, but those folks who want to use an RPR gallery should pay for what amounts to web hosting service. A nominal amount, since galleries like the kakabox build help all of us.

4) Information should never be held hostage - i.e., it should always be free to read.

5) I like the PBS type spiffs - Donated to them for years.

6) Ultimately, we need Tom to tell us what the right membership level is, since he is the only one who knows how much stuff costs. Based on what he's said here so far, we as a group should be able to give him the tools he wants, not just the tools he needs, to do this job.

7) I am comfortable with either small automatic monthly payments or larger quarterly (3 month) payments. Paypal would be the way to go for now since it's an easy and cheap way to take plastic - whereas a commercial SSL certificate for taking plastic directly adds $1000.00 per year to a web site's expenses.

8) Per Mr. Disability, it makes perfect business sense to have a commercial member level - RPR is serving up a highly focused customer base which is the *best* kind of advertising available. I'm not one of those guys, but if I were it would make sense to come up with a single digit percentage of profits to kick back to the site.

9) I know nobody will like this one, but: We should have free memberships for certain groups. Students, honda employees, minors, that kinda thing.

10) Last thing I really hate to bring up, but I think someone should: I have seen other places where people used their money as an excuse for being an ass. I know it's a hot button issue, but - "I paid for my opinion" isn't a good idea.

-Gil

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
Vendor and Premium Member (gallery and FS thread posting privalages maybe) subscriptions would be my votes. Between the two, I bet there'd be enough cash coming in.

$25 for vendor, $5 for premium member. Seems kinda fair, since these are the people A) causing a demand for more storage and bandwidth, and/or cool.gif generating personal profit from Tom's outlay. Based on some of the efforts posted, I know that profits are not the main reason for creating sales on here. But still, if money is transacted, there should be some sort of cost for providing the avenue and customer base.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I dont have a problem kicking in $5,10,15,20 a year.
Posted Image

86hamstersi

• Get a job loser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1980 yamaha qt50, 2007 civic si sedan(wife's)
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Jan 15 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, there have been some great responses! A lot of people are coming up with some good ideas. I have another idea:

We already know Tom will not ask for enough money, so we take the initiative to raise a little more. tongue.gif

I propose as a group, that we try and raise at least $100.00 dollars a month to pay for the hosting costs of RPR. Trust me, that amount will not be enough before too long. If there is a little money left over, I say let it go to Tom for the time he spends putting up with all of us! (and for those of you who think this a bad idea, ask yourself, how would you like to have a 5 to 10 hour per week extra job, but not get paid for it).

So I have a question for the web guru's on this site, is it possible to make some kind of image that sits at the top of the page in the shape of a thermometer that shows how much money we have raised toward our monthly goal? That way, if someone sees the amount is a bit low near the end of a month, that person could donate something and immediately see how they helped out!

This idea also lets everyone see how much money is actually going into the kitty. Can something like this be set up with PayPal? Set up so as the money comes in, it automatically increments the thermometer gage?

If a thermometer (or what ever symbol used) is not practical, then a simple text amount of what has been raised for the month would suffice.

I think it would make a difference (psychologically) if people could really see that the money is coming in, how much is there, and how they really make a difference when they DO donate.

It could also serve as a reminder to all of us near the end of the month if our goal is not being met. We could bug each other! wink.gif

Take care all!

David

I like this idea alot. I don't have a gallery but I am willing to help keep this going. I especially like the thermostat idea to see if we are in track.
A grown up living with their parents is a loser.

shuttlefever

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX, 89 CRX,66 El-Camino,
I am about as tech savvy as a rock, but if it takes me kicking down a few bucs a year to keep this forum alive, then count me in!! This thing has been invaluable to me!!
Dennis~
Its not all about horsepower, its about the finesse in the drivers foot!

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My problem with limiting the gallery to contributing members is that just cause you can't afford to share money doesn't mean you don't have good ideas to share and at times a picture is just worth so much more than words. If the area is not provided on RPR there is no telling how long that content may be available or will just show bandwidth exceeded messages.

As for the FS only being for those that contribute I can see the random goodies the grannies sometimes post getting tossed once they see they can put up a FS thread or we will find FS threads in the general area, just giving the mods more work. Grannies may not care if you ban them for it as their account was just to try selling a part they thought we would be interested in.

I am all for letting all the members see the monthly/yearly goal and reached marks though. The contributions should be for the gratitude for the the site as a whole, not access to a restricted feature. (Though I do like the contributing member badge, hidable edit date/times and custom title access). Perhaps reseting the contributing member badge to standard if no donation from a member has been received for a year. This would help them know they are due for their annual donation if they still want to.

Vicious

one way Clubcivic.com raises money every now and then is by having raffles every now and then. hell we can even get some of the guys from our sister site join in the fun since some things can be used for the crx, civic, and teggy.

i'm in for donating a yearly fee even though i don't use the gallery much just look at pics other people have uploaded.

...........i wouldn't mind paying $100 bucks for a chance to get a tein kit. say 15 tickets and boom pays for the kit and some extra money for the site.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

JU5TIN

• trying to get back in the car
  • PipPip
i am in for a yearly amount,
also can we claim this as a non profit? ie tax break???? wink.gif or do you have to file to become a non profit

because i know that would get me to donate more

i am fresh out of high school and don't know a lot, and heard about donating to non-profits being a tax break. I don't know how any of it is done, since i am on my second time paying/ doing taxes

Justin

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
I'm down wit the whole money thing. But there needs to be a set date foe when the money is do. Beause i know some people have family'ss and needto know ahead of time so the ycan see what they can do.
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

myheadhertz

• Some days it isn't worth gnawing thru the leather straps
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '91 CRX si, '66 Datsun SPL311, '87 CRX turbo under construction
O.K. Tom, I made a donation. Send me the RPR spoon rack (or 2nd choice, the toaster).

Seriously, I've saved more money than my donation by following the advice found on this site. I hate to think of all the mistakes I would have made without the tech advice found here. Don't let RPR slip away!

HEY! I could donate one of my condo's!